Hello All- i just got the blackberry curve a couple of days ago and i was wondering if anyone knew if I could use the blackberry messenger when I am in the United States. I am from Canada and my service provider is Rogers but I spend alot of time here in the United States becuase of my profession so when I am in the United States I am under At&t. The plan I have is unlimited email. So can I use my e-mail and blackberry messenger for free while I am in the United States? I heard that blackberry has its own network and sending blackberry messages and emails arent done through your phone company (so in my case it would be Rogers/At&t) is that true?

Thanks,

Mdetho.
    10-07-08 10:20 AM
    As long as you have the data plan messenger will work fine. I don't think you will have any problems
    10-07-08 10:25 AM
    Yes, as long as you have a data plan! It is one of the many great things a blackberry can do .
    10-07-08 10:38 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry Messenger uses the same data connection that is used by Email. That is seperate from the connection used by SMS messages which are subject to international tolls.

I am from Canada and my service provider is Rogers but I spend alot of time here in the United States becuase of my profession so when I am in the United States I am under At&t.
    If I understand you correctly, you are roaming on AT&T. The international roaming fees will apply to your data.

If you have a seperate account with AT&T for use in the US, then no roaming fees will apply and messages to Canada will be included in your US plan.

My Rogers contract included a promotional discount on international roaming for $0.006 Kb. It is important to remember the granularity means any message will be billed at a minimum 1 Kb.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-07-08 at 11:04 AM.
    10-07-08 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD