I am a new would-be user but am finding my Blackberry Curve to be a waste of money so far. Getting my e mail takes so long that I may as well drive home to my computer. Am I doing something wrong? I am using ATT, and maybe the arrival of the iPhone yesterday jammed everything, but I couldn't get into my e mail in three tries, one of them lasting 20 minutes while I left the Blackberry alone to keep trying. It just kept saying "Requesting". This morning I get beyond "Requesting" and into "Negotiating", but still no e mail.
    06-30-07 09:53 AM
    Was your connection "EDGE" signal on the Curve? Did you happen to notice if it said GPRS in the upper right corner?
    For some reason yesterday was VERY slow and there were many times I didn't have the EDGE signal. For me getting email wasn't that awful but forget the Internet. I even took out the battery a couple of times because the hourglass kept doing it's thing when I was trying to link to something in the browser. It was frustrating and typically isn't like that. I hadn't thought about the connection to the IPhone release.

Someone will be along soon who will address the more technical issues of the browser settings and if they might have had an effect.
    06-30-07 11:25 AM
    Are you trying to get your email buy logging into the email website?
    What email server are you using?
    Did the rep that sold you the phone go threw and set up you push mail?
    Were are you ( city state )?
    I work for at&t ... i had no email issues in my market ( pacific )
    if you want you can pri message me your number and i will help you
    06-30-07 12:03 PM
    I avoided trying to get onto the web yesterday after the Iphone went on sale as they said an AT&T server went down (or something like that). Normally (and today) I can get my Curve onto the web within a minute or so. And with push email it just keeps arriving the same as on my desktop- no apparent delays.

I think the EDGE network is quite fast on the Curve.

Yesterday with the roll out of the iPhone was an apparently very bad day for AT&T web servers. Many new iPhone users couldn't even connect to the web.
    06-30-07 03:47 PM
    I saw no issues with server response due to the Iphone intro.
    06-30-07 08:02 PM
    It said "edge", not GPRS. Do I have a choice of networks? Should I go to an ATT store for help using this? I bought it by telephone, and haven't found much help with anything. It seems a lot less seductive, intuitive and useful than I had expected. I thought I would find an on line brochure, or something similar, that would guide me through all the uses of this thing, but I haven't found anything much. I had hoped that the Curve would save me from carrying cell phone, iPod, Palm Z22 and still missing e mail, but so far I find the internet access too slow, the telephone quality bad, the numbers for dialing telephone numbers hard to use, no information about how to download podcasts, a nasty interface for the contacts list, no way to get my Palm calendar, no information about the push e mails . . . I'm not doing well! I am thinking seriously of sending it back, and wondering why so many people like Blackberries.
    06-30-07 10:14 PM
    Hate to display my ignorance, but what is push email and what does it do? I'm with ATT and no one set up push email when I bought the phone. Thanks
    06-30-07 11:00 PM
    An example of push email is GMail & Yahoo. When you receive an email there is will show on your BlackBerry instantly - if you've added your GMail account to BIS.

Hotmail (in some cases) / POP3 are pull, i.e. it checks for email every 15 minutes...
    06-30-07 11:04 PM
    I don't think you have a choice on which network the Curve uses. Mine has said GPRS all day today. The Internet is still slow but my emails are coming through quickly. I have put a call into my rep to ask him what's going on. Yesterday I understand but today all should be up and running back on EDGE - which is a decent speed for the Internet usually but I don't think it's great. Emails are quick.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with your Curve. Definitely connect with a quality at&t rep. - sounds like MOVEKWIK2002 will be of great help. Send him a PM as he has offered to help you as an at&t rep. He should be able to give you more specific direction so you can make a fair assessment if it will meet your needs.
    Last edited by MMB916; 06-30-07 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Added words
    06-30-07 11:48 PM
    Just want to add that ATT/Cingular has a Blackberry website that sets up your email for you. Very simple. All you do is type in your email addy and it sets it all up for you in seconds. Does multiple emails too. You can do it OTA but I had trouble doing it that way. Went online and it was set up ( 3 emails and one through work server) within a minute. Can't remember the address but you can probably find it through ATT site or Google search.

I've had my Curve for about 2 weeks and never seen it show anything but EDGE connection. I find internet quite fast. Some sites (such as this one) load within seconds from my bookmark. I've had other ATT phones with EDGE and internet connections were painfully slow compared to the Curve.
    07-01-07 10:32 AM
    AT&T BIS can be found, here...
    07-01-07 10:55 AM
    It seems like att needs to do more to keep their network up and running. I've been with tmobile for a long time and I've only had a network problem once and it was 4 years ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-07 10:56 AM
    AT&T flipped the switch on their "emergency" upgrade for their EDGE network in anticipation of the iPhone launch. My internet speeds positively rock now. I get 5 bars EDGE all the time at my house, and I used to only get that at work.
    07-02-07 09:44 AM