I've been searching these forums for the past two weeks because I was going to get a BlackBerry this week. Well today I finally got my BlackBerry 8130 Pearl from Verizon! I have a ton of questions that I hope you can all help me with. I've seen Navi answer a bunch of questions on here so hopefully he can help me too! Thanks to everyone!

1) I use the GMAIL application- how do I get my phone to vibrate and blink when I get a new email in the Gmail App?

2) Is there no Google Calendar App? Or Only GCalSync?

3) Where do I go to change and set ringtone? I looked all around but can't seem to find it.

4) Is there a quick way to put the phone on vibrate without going into profiles each time?

5) I separated Messages and SMS/MMS. I use the GMail Mail application and don't use the BlackBerry one. Is there any point in having SMS separated from Messages then?

6) Is where a way to separate Sent messages from Received messages in my inbox?

7) How do I get the phone to lock after a minute or so of inactivity so that I don't press keys when its in my pocket?

8) Is there a way to rename applications? For example if I wanted Opera Mini to be known as "Browser" instead of the stock BlackBerry browser?

9) Is there a numberlock so that I can type numbers without having to press ALT for each and every number?

10) How do I send text messages to numbers that are not in my phonebook? I tried to go into Messages then press the appliation button and go to SEND SMS MESSAGE but then it shows me my phone book. Is there no way for me to text someoneone not in my phone book?

11) Is there a way to put a banner or write my name across the screen (by the clock) ?

12) Is there way to get or download folder icons? For example if I wanted to make a folder called "Tools" and put a bunch of unused applicaitons in there. Is there a way to give that folder an icon besides the typical open folder icon?

13) Is there a way to completely turn off the phone? I was having trouble downloading the Facebook app so I tried a battery pull. However, the phone still seemed to be on because the indicator light was flashing and there was an battery icon with a slash over it on the screen. Also, when I hold down the power button the phone doesn't seem to turn off al the way. When I turn it back on everything is exactly the same as when I turned it off and the programs are still running.

14) Can someone please give me the direct link to the Facebook app download? I tried to go using the Browser and it kept getting a JavaScript error. And when I tried with the Opera Mini browser the download webpage had no link to download the Facebook app. I tried reloading about 10times and nothing.

I'm so happy with my BlackBerry and can't wait to be a part of the CrackBerry Forums family! Thanks again everyone!
    03-24-08 12:24 AM
    Use the search button much? Most of your questions can be found by doing a search since they are common or by actually reading the manual.

8) Is there a way to rename applications? For example if I wanted Opera Mini to be known as "Browser" instead of the stock BlackBerry browser?
    No.

11) Is there a way to put a banner or write my name across the screen (by the clock) ?
    No.

12) Is there way to get or download folder icons? For example if I wanted to make a folder called "Tools" and put a bunch of unused applicaitons in there. Is there a way to give that folder an icon besides the typical open folder icon?
    No. You would need a custom theme.
    Last edited by sunkast; 03-24-08 at 12:50 AM.
    03-24-08 12:47 AM
    Thanks. 12) And would that custom theme include those folder icons i mentioned or would I have to create that myself after downloading a theme?
    03-24-08 12:51 AM
    You would need to create a custom theme. From scratch.
    03-24-08 12:58 AM
    1) I use the GMAIL application- how do I get my phone to vibrate and blink when I get a new email in the Gmail App?
    Go into your Gmail app >More>Settings>Check the last box>Enter>Save.

2) Is there no Google Calendar App? Or Only GCalSync?
    No GCal app. You use the GSync to sync with the BB calendar

3) Where do I go to change and set ringtone? I looked all around but can't seem to find it.
    Profiles > Advanced > go from there........

4) Is there a quick way to put the phone on vibrate without going into profiles each time?
    Hold down the # key....

5) I separated Messages and SMS/MMS. I use the GMail Mail application and don't use the BlackBerry one. Is there any point in having SMS separated from Messages then?
    Not that I've found...

6) Is where a way to separate Sent messages from Received messages in my inbox?
    No.

7) How do I get the phone to lock after a minute or so of inactivity so that I don't press keys when its in my pocket?
    If you hold down the *, it'll lock automatically!

13) Is there a way to completely turn off the phone?
    Use the Power Off icon

Hope that helps!
    03-24-08 01:06 AM
    Thank!

7) There has to be a way for the phone to lock after a while of inactivity. Do I really have to hold down the * every time before I put it in my pocket?
    03-24-08 01:12 AM
    Actually... #6, there is a way. Go into messages, then hit the menu key, then options, change "Hide Sent Messages" to Yes. You then have to go into messages, then hit options, then View folder, then click "SMS Outbox"

Since you stated you used GMail app, I presume you were referring to SMS.

10. When it takes you to your address book, scroll to the top and hit "use once"
    14. Direct your broswer to mobile.blackberry.com ... Below under "Social Utilities" you will see FaceBook App.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 03-24-08 at 01:32 AM.
    03-24-08 01:28 AM
    Also Welcome 2 CB
    03-24-08 01:28 AM
    hey & welcome to CB :]
    03-24-08 01:33 AM
    Thank!

7) There has to be a way for the phone to lock after a while of inactivity. Do I really have to hold down the * every time before I put it in my pocket?
    Yes, there is: Options > Security Options > General Settings > Scroll down to Security Timeout > choose a time > Save.
    03-24-08 01:37 AM
    Hello and welcome to CB.
    Enjoy
    03-24-08 10:26 AM
    Most of the info on your Berry that you would like to know about can be found in the help app on your Berry. Anything else 3rd party, or not covered by the help app can be found here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 10:38 AM
    So, Is there really no way to put a banner or write my name across the screen (by the clock) ? Can I download a theme to do this?

15) How to delete all text messages at once? And all messages in general?

16) How do I increase call volume? When people call it seems to be very low? Is there a way to do this now (not on a call) rather than waiting until I'm on a call an increasing it everytime?

17) How do I stop the SureType? For example whenever I want to type .edu (like my school email address), how do I do that? Whenever I try it automatically predicts "education" after i do e-d-u and there is no way to undo it back to just edu. How do only do edu?
    03-24-08 09:29 PM
    15) highlight date, menu, delete prior
    17) From within a message screen, hit menu, enable multi-tap.
    03-24-08 09:32 PM
    Welcome to CB !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 09:37 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    03-24-08 09:43 PM
    12) Is there truly no way to download folder icons? It seems like there has to be somehow.
    15) Is there a way to delete all my messages (even the ones in other folders)? Because I currently have my "Sent Messages" hidden from my Inbox.
    17) There has to be an easier way than this. Is there really no way to make it just stop at just edu without going into multi-tap?
    03-24-08 10:05 PM
    Dude seriously, quit being lazy and read the manual.
    03-24-08 10:12 PM
    I looked through the manual for every single on these questions and I can't find any of them in there trust me. The manual (designed by Verizon) sucks.
    03-24-08 10:18 PM
    Then use the search button.
    03-24-08 10:25 PM
    I did use the search but it is difficult to find my specific questions. If you can't help I don't understand why you bother to respond then.
    03-25-08 12:37 AM
    Welcome to my addiction!!
    03-25-08 12:43 AM
    Thanks! I'm super excited just need help with a few things I mentioned above.
    03-25-08 01:12 AM
    welcome to cb
    03-25-08 01:19 AM
    welcome to CB! :]
    03-25-08 01:19 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD