Hi,

I h0aven't owned a Blackberry before but I am planning to get one soon. Have been reading about BIS, BES and I have some questions would like to ask.

Is there any different between BIS, and the normal Data Plan for other phones? e.g. If I am using my iphone, then I change the iphone to a blackberry, is it possible to use the same sim card to access the internet? Such as browser, email checking etc?

How to get a blackberry.net email address? I am planning to get a second hand blackberry, if the previous user have already register a blackberry.net address with their phone, can I still get one.

Cheers,

Kay
    10-23-08 09:19 AM
    Unless your phone has Wifi, you need to get a data plan in order to use the internet.

A regular Data Plan for other phones will not work on a Blackberry. It requires BES, BIS, or the email add-on.

In order to get the blackberry.net email address you have to have a BIS plan, and you can create it in your mobile company's BIS site.
    10-23-08 09:22 AM
    In some countries the same sim card can be used ...

However, Blackberries will always require a specific data plan (usually unlimited email plans).

If you buy 2nd hand, you need to make sure that the previous owner has de registered the device with his network...
    you will then be able to setup your BIS and a blackberry.net address
    10-23-08 09:24 AM
    1. Lecture 2: BES and BIS: What's the Difference? | CrackBerry.com

2. Your GSM sim should go into the phone no problem...

3. When you setup your device you can create an email address. Also if the device is still registered, which happens sometimes, you have to have the carrier release the PIN thus resetting it to have you setup your info...
    10-23-08 09:25 AM
    Also BES is a Business Enterprise Service, so unless your BB comes from you workplace this won't apply to you. I also have an extra 8110 I would consider selling. PM me if you're interested. Welcome To CB!
    10-23-08 09:27 AM
    Thanks everyone for their replies.
    from what i've seen, even I bought a blackberry and using an iphone data plan, I still cannot access my gmail, google calendar and etc with the blackberry?
    10-23-08 09:51 AM
    Thanks everyone for their replies.
    from what i've seen, even I bought a blackberry and using an iphone data plan, I still cannot access my gmail, google calendar and etc with the blackberry?
    That is correct.

The data plan is half the solution, it is the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) infrastructure that enables BlackBerry to receive pushed data. That includes email, IM, and the Internet.

The only exception is a Wifi connection where the Browser can access the Internet and your web based applications like Gmail.
    10-23-08 10:39 AM
    So, If i am on wifi, without BIS, I still can access BlackBerry email, and BlackBerry browser? Cause I am thinking to get a bold, and the BIS data plan is pretty expensive here.
    10-23-08 09:17 PM
    So, If i am on wifi, without BIS, I still can access BlackBerry email, and BlackBerry browser? Cause I am thinking to get a bold, and the BIS data plan is pretty expensive here.
    No.

BIS is required for email, messages and the Internet Browser.

Wifi will only work with the Wifi Browser.
    10-24-08 01:09 PM
    If you don't want to have a data plan you will be crippling your BB.... no email and no data access... not sure why anyone would want to do this... any BB or smartphone for that matter will work to it's full potential without a data plan.
    10-24-08 01:25 PM
    Hello, I have a 8700g on Tmobile. Can I just put in the wap.voicestream.com
    to use my data plan? I have the 5.99 one.
    10-25-08 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD