I am having some major difficulites in setting up email and the web interface on the device (Cingular is my carrier). I'm not sure how these issues might be conncected but I suspect they are, perhaps it occured after I did the software download from the Blackberry disk to my laptop and then plugged in the device (I operation off of Windows XP & use Microsoft Outloook for email).

#1 The set up wizard does not give me the option to set up an email account that is not a part of a Blackberry Enterprise Server. There is no option to create or add an any other type of email address.

#2 I can't connect to the web after I downloaded the Balckberry software. I followed all the steps and in the download and connected the devic via a USB port. After the devic updated (several minutes with the hourglass) the web icons were no longer on the screen (Internet Browser or Media Net Browser).

I wonder if something went wrong with the software download and I need to reset the device and reinstall the software? I can recieve emails and I can go to the Blackberry website to activate my Internet Service Account but still no email set up or connection to the web.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!
    04-17-07 07:38 PM
    Firstly, welcome. Did you JUST get this device, and thus JUST setup a data plan with Cingular?

Sometimes it take 24 hours for the service to become active. Once active, and on the device, then the internet etc would start to work. But, wireless is on, on the device, correct? When you log into your BIS account (Cingular), the email account you set up, do you see it there?
    04-17-07 09:14 PM
    I'm guessing your problems are just part of the nationwide BlackBerry outage. Things should hopefully be up and running again sometime today. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    04-18-07 06:35 AM
    When I first got mine I had the same issues as you plus I lost my media player and some other stuff. I took it back to cingular and got another one cause I guy at the store had the same problem. Everything was working fine then I started messing with the desktop software again then the same thing happened. My problem was the app loader deleting modules that I needed. It had a list of stuff that I couldn't check or uncheck. Don't know why it was doing this but after an 1 1/2 conversation with tech support they told me to just download the software from the blackberry website and leave the disc alone. I did it and now the list is down to 1 thing the Blackberry API Library it sounds important but I don't know why my pearl wants me to get rid of it....? Anyway I hope this helps a little and oh yeah anytime you restore your device you lose the globes too. Cingular tech support didn't know how to get that back for me neither but a guy at the store said blackberry tech support knew how.
    04-18-07 10:58 AM
    Thank you to everyone for the advice.

To answer a few questions: Yes I did just buy the device last weekend 4/14/07 and set up a data plan with Cingular (Blackberry Connect Unlimited). It did also take about 24 hours to get a message from Cingular stating my Blackberry internet service (BIS) was activated. This despite the fact that I logged on to the Blackberry website right away and set up my account (entered the PIN & IMEI & set up a user name/password). The website tried to have me follow the steps associated with setting up email accounts but an error message occured which said it couldn't find an application.

As a result I am inclined to belive I have the same issues as misterjdub had and I am also having an issue with how the software downloaded from the disk. I'll call Cingular tech support later this week (when I have 1 1/2 hours to burn!) to try and figure out the issues.

Misterjdub: how did the tech support get your web icons to reappear? Did getting a different device help the issue at all?

I'll keep you posted as I work to resolve the issues (I am glad I am in the 30 trial period).

Thanks!
    04-18-07 11:37 AM
    I am having this identical issue. I have set up my email accounts through the Cingular "startup" website, and I have sent and received test messages to and from my Pearl. But after I installed the desktop manager my web icon disappeared from my Pearl.

MJ did your issue finally get resolved with Cingular Tech support's help?
    04-18-07 08:47 PM
    I take it the Desktop Manager (DM) software was from the CD? Also, once connected to the pc, are either of you selecting APPLICATION LOADER?

This is very strange.
    04-18-07 08:50 PM
    I take it the Desktop Manager (DM) software was from the CD? Also, once connected to the pc, are either of you selecting APPLICATION LOADER?

This is very strange.
    Yes. I just flipped thru the startup guide, and popped the CD-ROM in when it prompted. Left the Pearl disconnected from my laptop during the initial install as directed, etc. I selected Application Loader after everything came up. The only thing I have done is I removed the foreign language supports, since I don't speak 27 languages. When it rebooted the Pearl after that, all the web stuff was gone.

I can still send and receive emails and texts, just can't access my web browser.

I just got the phone at 1300 EST today, so I'm not too worried at the moment, I'm still within the 24 hour window. I have received my "BIS account is now active" message, but that was after I logged into the Cingular site and set up my account. Is there another notice/service announcement that I should get once Cingular has my account activated for internet?
    04-18-07 08:57 PM
    All I can say is bad instructions, from the quick guide that is.

When you get your device / service, all one has to do is install the Desktop Manager software (if need be), and connect the device to charge / sync (again, if need be). No need to run the application loader. That basically resets it to almost factory default, i.e. remove carrier specific info, UNLESS a backup was done, you can't recover / restore...

Nonetheless normally once 'full data service' is active all respective icons / features appear on the device; like two browser icons etc, etc...

Not to sure how to remedy this.

Oh, wait, if you downloaded the O.S from the respective website, you could then reload the device completely as if you just got it from them...

Again, just my opinion...
    04-18-07 09:04 PM
    Ha! Well that just makes my day if that is the case. I'm still trying to organize my contacts from the data transfer from the previous phone, the web access is a minor issue at the moment. I at least figured out how to sync it to my Lotus Notes. So far, so good in some other areas, so I'll keep plugging along.

I am sure I am staring right at it, but does anyone know how I can access my address book from my laptop? I'd rather do all this editing from here rather than on the BB.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 04-18-07 at 09:27 PM.
    04-18-07 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD