Hi. Somebody suggested I try this question on CrackBerry's legendary community. My ancient Palm PDA is getting creaky, so I'm thinking about combining phone/PDA functionality with a modest, wifi-capable smartphone like a Pearl or the upcoming Kickstart. I'm wondering how feasible this idea is for my needs. I'm not yet a BB user: I only have a conventional phone right now, but can get a discounted upgrade from T-Mobile.

My favorite part about a PalmOS device is that I can back up, manage and sync everything -- calendar, contacts, to-dos, notes -- between the PDA and my PC. But in the BB and Winmob world, the desktop software seems to assume everybody has Outlook. Will I have to spend an extra $100 or so on Outlook just so I can manage my contacts on my desktop? I read there is a Google Calendar sync app for Blackberries, but apparently nothing for contacts.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris
    08-31-08 10:22 PM
    Welcome to CB, back ups are directly to the pc. I don't sync much so I'm not to sure about what all it will sync with. Outlook is free on any windows pc is it not?
    08-31-08 10:59 PM
    There is away you can sync cause I sync my entroge contacts-which is apples form of outlook- I am not sure what the process would be on a PC. Hope that helps some!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-08 11:12 PM
    No I think you have to pay for outlook because I couldn't find it when I was tring to transfer my treo 755 phone numbers over, but its nothing like the palm they don't or I haven't seen a desktop manager where I can delete pics or add phone numbers on the computer you have to do everything on the phone and then save it.
    08-31-08 11:17 PM
    if outlook is all thats stopping you I'll shoot ya a copy!
    08-31-08 11:22 PM
    Outlook express is default on any windows machine 95 and up. But for full on outlook, it will have to be purchased, but it also comes with office.

08-31-08 11:44 PM
    I was in the same boat way back in the day when I got my first "old blue"(for those crack(berry)heads who remember). Syncing my contacts was never a need for me but for you it might be in that case these kids will hook you up. Although the google calendar doesn't have contact sync it still works wonders. I would seriously suggest test driving one of these devices.
    Oh and welcome glad to have you aboard!

09-01-08 12:23 AM
    Outlook has been replaced on new machines with Windows Mail. It is basically the same program. I believe BB will sync with it just as they did with outlook.

The BlackBerry is totally different than a winmo device. You'll just have to jump in and use it. I have a TMobile 8320 Curve -- it is a WiFi device and I spend about 60% of my time connected via wifi and I think it is a super connection. I also have UMA calling -- the time spent calling via WiFi does not count against my minutes. I suggest you try out the curve.

09-01-08 12:33 AM
    I came from being a palm PDA user to getting a BB as my 1st smartphone. You don't have to sync the BB if you don't need to. I enter everything directly into the BB and just perform backups using the desktop manager just in case something ever happens and I need to restore the BB. I'm not at home but I'm certain syncing with outlook is not the only option. But since I have never used it I will need to consult the desktop manager and possibly online resourses to find out details on syncing options.

09-01-08 03:22 AM
    Thanks for the responses and welcome, everybody. A couple of clarifications for those not from the Palm world. No, Outlook does not come for free: it's part of MS Office but can be purchased separately. Palm's desktop software is not just a sync/backup tool. It comes with a complete Windows PIM app that works directly on your Palm data, so you can edit your calendar, contacts, memos and task lists on both the PDA and your PC. I could carry my contacts with me while somebody at home can look up those same contacts on the PC. I realize that nothing else out there does the same thing.

Is there a way to get a list of apps that the Blackberry desktop software will sync with? I can't find it so far. I know it syncs with Outlook and the Lotus equivalent -- neither of which I have -- but that's about all I know. For example, Windows Vista comes with its own contacts manager: will the software sync with that? I realize that Blackberry's traditional strength is in meeting business users' needs, so I am making no assumptions on its support for (potential) casual users like myself.
    09-01-08 10:42 PM
    I thought I'd post an update to this thread. I have since acquired a Curve 8320. For desktop PDA functionality, I have simply decided to have the Desktop Manager sync to "Yahoo PIM". This syncs my calendar, contacts, tasks and memos to my Yahoo account. I now have a "desktop" PDA solution at no extra cost.
    03-01-09 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD