First of all, I'd like to say hello! This is my first post at crackberry and I am the new and proud owner of my first blackberry 8830. After only a few days, I understood why it was called a crackberry!

Anyways, down to my question. This is my personal blackberry and I use gmail like an e-mail fiend. When I first got the Blackberry, I set up blackberry messenger for my gmail account, but there were a few things which didn't sit well with me. Please tell me if there is a way to get around them.

The Blackberry email client doesn't import contacts from Gmail.
    -Is there a way to do this?

If there is a way, Then I'll drop the gmail app. If not, then..

The Blackberry doesn't use the gmail app as its default email program.
    -Is there a way to change the default settings so that it does?

Also, every time I send an email via the blackberry email client, it sends a confirmation email, which gets annoying. I suppose I could understand the virtue of doing this, such as making sure your email is properly sent. However, I'm not too worried that it won't be sent, so is there a way to disable this?

Any help you could give this BB newbie would be great.

Thank you Again!

-M
    01-15-08 11:35 AM
    At the moment there is no way to import contacts from Gmail unless you export from Gmail to Outlook and then sync with your BB.

There is really no way to make the Gmail app the "default" program. The push email to your BB from your Gmail account is the "default".

You can turn off the read receipts in Email Options > Email Settings
    01-15-08 12:03 PM
    drchaos619 - welcome! you'll love cb.com and your cb. you are probably wondering how you ever got along with out it!

azeis - regarding gmail - do you know how to stop it from sending my bb a copy of every email i send? i have tried to set a filter at gmail to no avail. i understand this is b/c gmail is really like a "conversation." any help is appreciated. i think i read somewhere else here in the forums to call verizon? thanks!
    01-15-08 12:14 PM
    drchaos619 - welcome! you'll love cb.com and your cb. you are probably wondering how you ever got along with out it!

azeis - regarding gmail - do you know how to stop it from sending my bb a copy of every email i send? i have tried to set a filter at gmail to no avail. i understand this is b/c gmail is really like a "conversation." any help is appreciated. i think i read somewhere else here in the forums to call verizon? thanks!
    You have to login to Verizons BIS site here

Add a filter on your Gmail account with your address (xxxx@gmail.com) and select "Do Not Forward To Device" and you should be good to go.
    01-15-08 12:19 PM
    azeis,

thanks for the quick response! unfortunately, when i go to the site from my phone i get an error message: "this site cannot be accessed in this manner. please use the URL or link provided to you by your service provider."

when i go there via firefox, i get:
    "your acct is not accessible via html browser. please access using your device via BIS."

also, i have a (dec) ESN and (hex) ESN, and i have tried logging in w/ them both.

thoughts?
    01-15-08 12:49 PM
    Welcome to the "crack".
    01-15-08 12:58 PM
    azeis,

thanks for the quick response! unfortunately, when i go to the site from my phone i get an error message: "this site cannot be accessed in this manner. please use the URL or link provided to you by your service provider."

when i go there via firefox, i get:
    "your acct is not accessible via html browser. please access using your device via BIS."

also, i have a (dec) ESN and (hex) ESN, and i have tried logging in w/ them both.

thoughts?
    hmm .. I know for sure you can't get in from your BB browser. But from a PC you should have no problem. Try this site/ If that doesn't work I'm out of suggestions sorry.
    01-15-08 01:14 PM
    azeis,

hey, no problem! thanks for all the help. i called vzw. apparently i had never created a BIS login (the site you provided by link). she provided me w/ one and a password. however, that's when the fun began! both of my email accts went "out." gmail and bb.net. fun!

i had no problem validating gmail from the BIS site, but after another call to vzw - while waiting on hold for him to figure it out - i found that i had to validate my bb.net email again via my device at "email settings." i let the vzw rep know for his future reference.

now i will attempt to set up a filter via the BIS site as you suggested. all i wanted to do was stop receiving copies of sent emails via gmail!!! lol.

again, thank you for the help. i truly appreciate it. hopefully this info will help someone else, as well.

dacur
    01-15-08 02:22 PM
    thanks guys for all of your help! Much Appreciated!
    01-15-08 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD