I'm akurah, 24, from California. Geeky girl and all. I do quality assurance for software, so I've got some experience troubleshooting devices. That makes the following story slightly more amusing.

My first foray into "smartphones" was the Sidekick II. I adored it, but it had crappy reception, and eventually was retired for a standard candybar phone. This was... god, years ago.

At the beginning of this year, I went and got myself a Sidekick Slide (despite the salesman really pushing the Curve--god I wish I had listened to him!). It had problems reading the microSD card (amazingly, no poweroff problem that the sliding mechanism was notorious for). I swapped it for the Sidekick LX. I liked it quite a bit (would almost say loved it), but for one irritating problem.

The. Bluetooth. Refused. To. Work.

Don't get me wrong. It'd pair. It'd even do calls. But the sound was horrid, and the sound would cut in and out so frequently and so badly it couldn't have been just technology being fussy. This would even occur if I held the Sidekick mere inches from the headset. I ended up going through THREE LX phones, and I tested no less than THREE bluetooth headsets (both on the LX and on a Motorola Razr, where they worked flawlessly). Same problem, every time. (and more amusingly, I'm apparently the only soul in the entire world who had this problem with the LX)

T-Mobile tech support was incredibly gracious and helpful up until the very end, and I had the misfortune of getting connected to someone who was quite obviously in the wrong profession. She was painfully slow, I could tell she wasn't tech savvy, and she kept insisting "So the problem is the bluetooth headset," neveryoumind I've tested said (all three!) headsets on a separate phone and they're perfect, AND told her as much. I still, to this day, regret not getting her rep number and complaining about her. I forced her to transfer me to someone who was only marginally better--once I got him to realize that the problem was not the bluetooth headset nor me being unable to pair, he became much more helpful.

Fortunately, T-Mobile has a policy that if you do 3 exchanges for defective handsets within a 90 day period, you get an "equivalent exchange" for a similar phone with similar features from a different manufacturer. I was given the choice of the T-Mobile DASH (dodged a bullet, there!) and the Blackberry 8800. I chose the 8800.

Oh man. I love my Blackberry and I've only had it for one day.

Anyway, that's me.
    06-25-08 11:42 PM
    You made an good choice, welcome to the bb family and to Crackberry, this is the best site for any and all BB Questions.
    06-26-08 07:43 AM
    Wow that sounded like a hassle. Glad you wound up with the berry. Welcome aboard!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 07:52 AM
    Thank goodness you finally came to your senses! Just think, you could have avoided all that drama if you would have listened and got the Curve in the first place. Well welcome to CB! And let's not have this problem again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 10:38 AM