Hello all, I'm about to make the plunge and convert to BB from Windows Mobile after many years with WM. Currently looking at an 8310.

Just have a couple of questions as I have been researching BB related matters for the last 5 hours and my head is hurting, as some sites are conflicting...

1) I am looking at using Blackberry Internet Services through T-Mobile in the UK. I understand that this will sync my Gmail through IMAP. At work I have a MS Exchange based email - will this be able to be syncronised, or will I need Enterprise?

2) What will the level of sync be - purely pushing of emails, or updating read status, flags etc?

3) Will B.I.S. update my calendar and contacts wirelessly, or will I have to wait 'till I am back at the office?

The only reason for the above questions is because I will now have to pay for the BIS and they were all functions that were part of Win Mobile 6.

Would also appreciate any feedback from previous WM users on the BB experience- it appears far more intuitive. My failsafe for the above is a dedicated gmail account for work.

Many thanks in advance, carl
    03-08-08 03:47 PM
    Welcome to the Black n Crack fellow T-MoUK user
    03-08-08 04:07 PM
    I do not think BIS syncs emails - just calendar & tasks.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I will come along and help you.

Welcome to CB.
    03-08-08 04:27 PM
    With BIS you can only get email, need BES for calendar, contacts, memos, & tasks. have to do manually with BIS. should update with read and deleted messages if set to do so in BB system from user interface
    03-08-08 04:27 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what-bes-bis-1459/

I found this but am not sure how much it will help you. I do not know that much about BES.
    03-08-08 04:36 PM
    SuperCarl...You'll love the 8310. I came from WM5 and have not regretted it a bit! BB's are much more stable.

I have BIS. It will sync your calendar, contacts, tasks, memos only by manually connecting your BB to a computer via the USB cable. E-mails will be sent to the BB via the BIS service. It's pretty quick. Sometimes, I get the email on my BB before I get it in Outlook.

PS: Welcome to CrackBerry!
    03-08-08 06:29 PM
    If your on the BES your calender, contacts, & ect. will update automatically.
    03-08-08 06:33 PM
    thanks for the help so far everyone! Provided it can sync over the desktop, I'm sure I can make the sacrifice!
    03-09-08 01:21 AM
    Sorry - related question. I noticed last night that 1 free copy of BES comes with the phone (for 1 user). I will have a data plan and an "email plan" (which seems to be a method of extracting more cash!!) via my carrier. I am assuming I can use this BES copy to sync everything wirelessly?

If I do, will my company have full access to logs of web browsing, phone calls etc?
    03-09-08 01:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD