Given: i have already set up everything and i should be good to go (coverage + device + provider + RIM's servers -- all checked)

Question(s):
    1. do emails come in as a whole? or is it true that i should only be getting 2KB blocks like headers or the message subject + sender whenever new mail arrives?
    2. and if i choose to read a message that it's the only time that the device will download the whole (then i get charged for the data received)?
    3. if i do IMs, if i jus log on and not do anything yet - would i still get charged as i know that the device would keep on requesting for authentication just to "keep it alive?"
    4. how many KBs would the usual IM negotiate-acknowledge eat?
    5. and i could link about 10 email accounts tops to my BlackBerry?
    6. or am i just misinformed by some representative at some shop?

i just happened to have read the "monthly data usage" thread and i'm thinking benjamins right now.. (part of the reason for the ?s)
    10-14-07 09:32 PM
    1. I don't know the exact size but emails do come in as chunks. You can also set it to download headers only. Then you can choose which emails to download in full.

2. Yes

3. No, this will use a good chunk of data monitoring everyones sign on sign offs. I asked the make of Jivetalk about this and they said that program might use 2-3mb/month if you leave it signed on 24/7.

4. I have no idea. I don't even know if it is in the KB, probably smaller.

5. 10 is the maximum with BIS. But you could always forward more to the device by forwarding to your @carrier.blackberry.net address. (You just couldn't send from more than 10)

How many MB are in your data plan? I am on a 10mb plan and I have never used more than half of it. Don't worry about it too much. Emails shouldn't be your worry for data usage. Web browsing, RSS feeds, and heavy IM usage is what eats large chunks.
    10-14-07 09:56 PM
    How many MB are in your data plan? I am on a 10mb plan and I have never used more than half of it. Don't worry about it too much. Emails shouldn't be your worry for data usage. Web browsing, RSS feeds, and heavy IM usage is what eats large chunks.
    i have not subscribed to any data plan yet.. i'm just tryin to get some insider info.. i'll be hookin' up my work mail once i get it - 1 get about 150+ emails/day due to the fact that my work email address is part of several distros.. as with my gmail, yahoomail, lycosmail, ispmail, i need not worry..

so i'll be gettin chunks whenever new mail gets pushed and i have the option to choose which to download/read - that's great, i'll still be on top of my bills..

and i just thought that i really need to enroll for BIS with my provider so my emails get pushed even if i'm just on a WiFi connection huh? because if i don't get BIS, then the servers at RIM wouldn't push nothin at all.. does that make sense?

i think i don't need to get unlimited if i do WiFi most of the time, right? i just wonder if t-mo would still charge me even if i just do stuff over WiFi.. businesses are smart enough to worry about less profit than more profit..
    10-15-07 09:44 AM
    what is the exact size for an email header -- like the chunks that you receive whenever emails get pushed over? does anyone know?

and JiveTalk uses only about 3MB/month if you leave it on for 24/7? does that thing really work on the 8320? because when i checked out the beejive website, there ain't any list of supported smartphones.. just found this: JiveTalk� for BlackBerry� 1.0.2

thanks.
    10-15-07 10:53 AM
    Jivetalk should work on the the 8320.
    10-15-07 07:50 PM
    just figured emails come in 2KB chunks..
    Last edited by ricpac; 10-30-07 at 09:27 AM.
    10-16-07 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD