I already tried to get AIM and learned it's not permitted by my carrier.

What I'm pondering is a way to IM my "kids" (now grown and living at distant places) who don't have BBs. The ideal solution would be an IM app that can communicate with them if they install some freely-available IM software on their end; the specific on their side isn't important so long as it's something they can easily (and freely) obtain for their PCs. I've done some searching and browsing here and really haven't found any threads discussing this, apologies if I simply didn't search correctly. A link to the thread answering my question would be quite welcome if such exists.

TIA
    10-28-08 08:01 AM
    Yahoo Messenger should work well for you and is easily available for most platforms:

Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry� Smartphones. The best mobile messaging experience available.
    10-28-08 08:36 AM
    Awesome; forgive my laziness in not looking this up, but AT&T will permit this one?

Thanks!
    10-28-08 08:50 AM
    Awesome; forgive my laziness in not looking this up, but AT&T will permit this one?

Thanks!
    Yes they should
    10-28-08 09:36 AM
    You guys are great; thanks!
    10-28-08 10:01 AM
    No, ATT will not permit a BB to run Yahoo IM on the handset....I have no clue why this is, but it is most certainly blocked just like AOL.

My suggestion would be to purchase a license for BeeJiveIM (formerly known as JiveTalk) at
    Beejive. instant messaging anywhere

This client isn't free, but it's not too expensive (starts at $15, I believe) and will allow connection via AIM, GoogleTalk, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber and possibly more (don't remember off the top of my head). It is a great program with great functionality, and has been around for years so the software is quite mature.

So, despite ATT's arcane policies, this will allow you to get around the issue and IM all you want.

Have fun!
    -Eric
    10-28-08 10:38 AM
    Thanks for that; I just got rebuffed when I tried. I don't mind paying for an app, and if that one lets AIM work over the AT&T service then so much the better: I'm fairly certain my kids already use AIM.
    10-28-08 10:55 AM
    Beejive is great. I have been using it for the last several months and have had no real problems with it. The best thing is that it works off your data plan so unlike some IM clients an IM is not considered a text message.
    10-28-08 11:12 AM
    I put in the Webmessenger client and haven't had any trouble running AIM with AT&T and an 8310. They recently made the basic client free...

WebMessenger Inc.
    10-28-08 11:42 AM
    Thanks again, guys. I installed Beejive and Webmessenger and created an AIM account (as I thought, all my kids are on it already). Time will tell which app I stick with.
    10-29-08 07:28 AM
    Do any of you know a program/client
    along the lines of Beejive or Webmessenger that works on text,
    I have no data plan on my Pearl.

Thanks!
    10-29-08 11:29 AM
    Beejive coupon: IPRELAY1 for $5 off.
    10-29-08 11:48 AM
    Beejive coupon: IPRELAY1 for $5 off.
    Very nice. Thank you for that!
    10-29-08 11:56 AM
    I have to say that thus far I'm liking BJive better. WM is klunkier to start up, keeps making me go through setup and enter my AIM password each time. I still haven't found a way to save it and am tired of looking. Adding buddies seems easier in BJive, too. Haven't managed to catch anyone live for a chat yet, but thus far I'm leaning towards paying for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 08:06 AM
    Okay, update: user tam600 clued me in to another good IM app: "OZ" it's called. Use your MediaNet browser, under messenging select "Mobile IM" and you can download it OTA. Works with AIM, Yahoo & Windows messenger. It's free, and my initial reaction is it's very nice, easy to set up and has auto-login. Definitely worth a try.

10-30-08 08:49 PM
    hey guys do you know how to download aim for sprint? ij ust got the curve i have no clue how to get aim and/or its possible
    10-31-08 07:42 PM
    Mobile.blackberry.com/instantmessaging.

That should work, remeber to take out www. Or else it won't work

10-31-08 07:47 PM
    Would it work at all if the phone is unlocked and on att? Or would that matter?

Last edited by ninja please; 10-31-08 at 11:44 PM.
    10-31-08 07:58 PM
    No, ATT will not permit a BB to run Yahoo IM on the handset....I have no clue why this is, but it is most certainly blocked just like AOL.
    This is incorrect. I have been running Yahoo IM for months on my AT&T 8310.
    This is a screenshot from my device.

10-31-08 09:05 PM
    More related discussion here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...d=1#post903761

Thanks to AG I learned that OZ uses SMS, not my data plan, and that WM probably does, too. BJive explicitly states it uses your data plan only. For me, case closed: I paid for BJive.

11-01-08 09:12 AM
    A couple of other reasons I went with BJive: it let me use a display name in place of the nick, so when one of my kids pops up I see their actual name. Also, the other ones I tried didn't support special icons like "away" that tell me they're logged in but not at the keyboard. BJive supports that. I've concluded it's well worth the $15 (using the discount code given above).

11-01-08 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD