I have a Blackberry device registered with my employer's Enterprise Server. I also have my gmail mailbox connected to the device. Is there a chnace my gmail emails are passing through my employer's server? can they be monitored or archived? Is there a way to avoid that?

I set up my gmail mailbox via tmobile - they allow y6ou to enter the email addres and it appears on your Blackberry, so I have no idea how it is set up behind the scenes.

Thanks
    09-08-08 09:13 PM
    By connecting you BB to your company BES, you let your privacy go out the door. They also can block you from using certain apps if they choose.
    Last edited by Garz; 09-08-08 at 10:40 PM.
    09-08-08 09:38 PM
    Just to clarify - I am not talking about their ability to monitor my emails if they want to - in this case they could just ask me or subpoena my emails... I am more concerned about copies of my emails staying in company's backups/archives/logs automatically and then becoming public domain if it becomes a part of a lawsuit.

Also is what you said about the privacy still the case if I use gmail client instead of integrating gmail with my blackberry?

Thanks
    09-08-08 09:46 PM
    Ya same here. I would like some clarification as to what can be viewed by them and what can't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-08 10:03 PM
    I am a BES admin and there is no way from the server side for an Admin to see your gmail or any other forwarded email account. It goes straight from the BIS to your device via your PIN number. The only way for this to happen is if you returned your device and did not remove the PIN from your BIS page. The device will still receive your emails and whoever has it would get them.

Your work email that gets sent through the BES is a completely different story.

Hope that helps.
    09-08-08 10:08 PM
    This is one of the big items that my purchasing or not purchasing a BB is hinging on...While my company subsidizes the cost, it's still my personal phone and I still pay for it as well. So, exactly what can be tracked?

SMS?
    Personal E-mail?
    Phone Log?
    Internet Usage?

I am basically OK with tracking everything except personal e-mail, and I'd prefer not SMS, but I don't use it often anyway.

What exactly flows through the service provider, and what flows through BES? Also, can't the BB be completely backed up through BES? I've been told that if my phone were to be lost, IT can completely wipe it/retrieve all data.
    09-09-08 09:23 AM
    bump... can someone please answer Atrus' question above about SMS/MMS and internet?

Please!? gracias.
    11-10-08 11:55 PM
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    11-11-08 01:45 AM
    Jeff, thank you.
    Can i trouble you for one more question??

If i do a Wipe Handheld... does that remove me from the BES? (Or do i need to tell IT do do something?)
    11-11-08 11:23 AM
    You'll need to get your IT department to remove you from the Enterprise and remove whatever IT Policy they've pushed to your phone.
    11-11-08 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD