Hey,

I recently purchased my first ever BlackBerry. The BlackBerry 8800. I love it so much!

Anyway, I got the handset unlocked and now use it on Pay&Go o2 UK.

However, most of the functions do not work, for example:
    Maps,
    Internet,
    Email and so on.

So, I contatced o2 and they said, basically, there was nothing they could do... blah, blah, blah!!

Sureley there is something I could do to get this to work...

Please help this newbie!

Sean Smart
    06-22-07 08:53 AM
    Well, I sure wish I could help, but I have no idea how O2 works. Here in the States, there are no pay as you go programs that have BlackBerry data available.

Hopefully Tmag2005 will be by soon and can help. He is on O2 and should know.
    06-22-07 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Well I'm not sure if Pay&Go is supported here because I got the handset unlocked... but surely there is a way around it.

I'm 18 years old and just passed my driving test and bought the phone for the email and maps....

neither of which work lol
    06-22-07 11:57 AM
    You'll have to have a BB data plan for those things, but like I said, not sure how the O2 plans work.
    06-22-07 01:30 PM
    Well welcome to Crackberry, but unfortunately there is no way you can use some of the BlackBerry features with a Pay & Go Sim.

There are two options available to help. The first, is get a Sim Only Contract (as you already have the phone) and add the Blackberry Data Plan. Or Get the Sim Card and use the Blackberry Data Plan on a pay as you use basis...but that about 2.74 per mb.

Honestly though, the Unlimited is better Value.
    06-22-07 02:08 PM
    So, I can use the Pay&Go that I have, and request a BlackBerry Data Plan. How many MB would I use per month, say?

I purchased a Sim Only Deal on the basis they could not take payment until I activated the sim -wrong- the took payment the following day which made me overdrawn...

What would be the best bet?
    06-22-07 04:52 PM
    Ok, I done some homework on the o2 UK website. Here is what I conclude:

I found, a Stand Alone, Monthly Subscription (12 month min). It gives me -
    0 mintues
    0 texts
    Unlimited data

It costs 15 per month.

I was thinking I could put that on top of my Pay&Go that I have just now and that would give me my minutes, data and texts.

All in all, I'd get:
    300 texts
    10 worth of minutes
    Unlimited date for....

That is, if they allow me it

O2 - Tariff Index
    Last edited by kasperapd; 06-22-07 at 10:30 PM.
    06-22-07 06:14 PM
    Unlimited data is the way to go, and for the minutes package, doesn't O2 only charge you for outgoing minutes, and not incoming minutes???
    06-22-07 10:32 PM
    Well, that's correct. They charge for minutes you make. Which is fair.

Thing is, I'm not sure if the data package will be allowed... :S?
    06-23-07 10:48 AM
    I once had the 15 per month BB tariff on O2 and although it didn't give any inclusive minutes, it was voice enabled so effectively that was a pay as you go voice tariff bundled by default. The benefit also being that you never ran out of credit because you just paid for any voice calls at the end of the month when the bill came in.

It's a pity there isn't a prepay BB tariff in the UK, but I've done extensive research and cannot find anything remotely like it. My advice is go for the 15 tariff and use your phone for voice whenever you need it (but check to ensure they do come voice enabled if on a BB data only plan - I'm going back three years when I had mine on this tariff).
    06-23-07 02:43 PM
    That's great help, but how many texts do I recieve with that plan?

o2 seriously have to be the most awkward company around at the moment. Everything I've asked for, they've denied.

For example, that 15 Unlimited Data Plan cannot and will not be added to any Pay&Go sim...

I'd be more than willing to have a contract, if one met my needs.

Here's what I need:
    300 texts (at least)
    data (I dunno how much I'd use)
    60 mins?

Some of the prices of the plans are ridiculous, and not all of them will be 'compatable' with BlackBerry.

With the Pay&Go sim I have just now, I recieve 1MB of free data monthly, but do not know how to use it...

In order for my internet etc to work, I need the correct service books.

Sean
    06-24-07 05:34 AM
    I'm thinking of switching to Vodafone. Here's what I get:

Free BB8300(Curve)
    500 texts
    300 mintues
    For 30 per month (12 month contract)

120MB of data for 7.95 per month (optional extra)

Is that worth it?
    06-24-07 07:58 AM
    I bought it... happy me lol.

If you get the curve in the UK, you do not get maps. I want maps lol!
    06-24-07 08:50 AM
    Just stumbled across this post, I consider myself lucky because I live in Italy and we have pay and go data plans for Blackberry, I pay 12 per month for 400MB which is more than sufficient, my problem would be when I visit the uk I'm british, I do not want to pay the heavy roaming fees, so I would opt for another carriers sim to put into my Blackberry, but reading this post it seems impossible, or have things changed since the last post? cat
    07-05-07 03:09 AM
    Ok, well you an get maps in the UK as i have it.

Secoindly glad you got a Curve but sad you went to Vodafone. For what you paid, you could have got a deal on O2. Especially as they have new tariffs.

Also TREVOLLY on this site and other site is a man on the inside of O2 and he would have been able to give you some solid advice.

But at the end of the day, BB is what matters whatever network.

I hope you enjoy the ride.
    07-05-07 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD