OK, I'm sure this has been asked a lot, and while I did search (here and other places), I haven't gotten a single straight answer as of yet...

I'm currently on a Sprint SERO plan, unlimited data and a ton of minutes. I'm trading in a defective MotoQ, and I was looking at the 8830. I asked a few service reps at Sprint, and half said if I don't spring for the BB Data plan, the phone will be useless, the other half said I would be able to use everything EXCEPT the push email.

So what's the real answer? What services would I be missing if I went with a regular data plan vs the BB data? I have no real desire for push email, as long as I can pull my email every few hours or so. Mainly, it's the web access, GPS, texts, calling and the occasional emails that I'm looking for.
    07-23-07 11:01 PM
    Without the BB data package you will have a very nice PDA that will do phone and SMS only. Since all data functions go through RIM's servers, you must have a specific data package to access their network and get all the functions.
    07-23-07 11:14 PM
    Sprint's BB Data plans include web browsing, so if you're going to be using the 8830 for that, you need a plan.

Kasper's right, you'll only be able to SMS, providing you have that on your plan.

I've had my 8830 for a few weeks now, and I love it, great phone!!

Welcome to CrackBerry.com!!
    07-24-07 04:52 AM
    Having a bb without the data plan is like having kool aid with no sugar,peanut butter no jelly.Whats the point????
    07-24-07 07:29 AM
    Having a bb without the data plan is like having kool aid with no sugar,peanut butter no jelly.Whats the point????
    Well, I HAVE an unlimited data plan for free, that was the reason for my asking. Seemed silly to have a free unlimited data plan and then have to pay $40/month for ANOTHER plan.

Either way, point is moot, Sprint hooked me up with the BB plan for free, the 8830 is on its way.
    07-24-07 12:44 PM
    I was going to suggest that you ask them to swtich the free data plan to a bb plan since they are the same price. But it appears that is what you did.

How did you get a data plan for free? retentions department?
    07-24-07 01:20 PM
    I believe the SERO plans are for family and friends of employees.

Is this correct?
    07-24-07 06:23 PM
    I think anyone can get a SERO plan nowadays though.
    07-24-07 09:35 PM
    I'm sorry as I am unfamiliar with sprint services, but I dont have a BB data plan and i have access to my wap browser, I have access to all other items that would involve data services EXCEPT push email, so either some are more educated in sprints services or once again you have contradictory information to wade through, **** look at my sig that explains it all in regards to what i have/use...with my carrier not ALL my data goes thru RIM, i can browse the net, use the gmail application to check my email when i want(not push) use IM clients, and even run mIRC all WITHOUT a BB data plan..

lol this is no longer relevant to the OP as he got a free data plan, but may be useful to those who have the same question.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 07-24-07 at 11:25 PM. Reason: adjusted for being dumb and not reading the OP replies.
    07-24-07 11:16 PM
    I heard from some poeple that you can use on T-mobile W'n'W for surfing with Opera browser...
    07-25-07 02:58 AM
    I have the Curve and I don't have a data plan but I don't need the push e-mail. I just really use it for phone/pda/sms. I wouldn't mind the push e-mail but I don't feel like paying for it LOL
    08-02-07 10:33 PM
    BlackBerries are incredible with or without data plans. For my situation though, I'm hardly ever at home, or with my computer. I never get to watch the news, so without my BlackBerry data, I'd hardly ever check my email, or even know what the heck is going on in the world ;-D
    08-03-07 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD