Update 11/13: I cancelled my original Z30 order on Amazon because I found an SCA100-5 on eBay for the same price! Woo! I'll be fully LTE Capable!

Update #2 11/13: According to FedEx tracking my new Z30 -5 will be here tomorrow morning by 10:30AM!

Update 11/14: My -5 has arrived! And sure enough I have LTE on T-Mobile! You can ready my brief initial review of the device here.

Howdy peeps! I'm a former Blackberry user looking at coming back to a Z10 in the next several days. I'm wanting to reach out to the community with some questions, not to dissuade me or poke holes in the device's persona, but to know what I'm walking into before I walk into it.

My device history starts as such:
    - Blackberry Pearl 8130
    - Blackberry World Edition 8830
    - Blackberry Curve 8310
    - Blackberry Curve 8350i
    - Blackberry Storm
    - Blackberry Storm 2
    - Blackberry Torch 9800
    - Blackberry Torch 9810 (Grrr, less than a year into my 9800)
    ***Went off on an Android/iPhone tangent***
    ***Decided Windows Phone 7/8 > Android/iPhone***
    - Blackberry Z10 (Got rid of it early on because of changes within my company)

When I had my Z10 I remember that the app ecosystem was very small, considering it was launch day. I had my phone for less than two weeks and I didn't have much of an opportunity to explore everything about the phone like I would have liked. I've stayed in touch with the BB universe through this site's front-page and am excited to be going back to a Z10 on T-Mobile.

This won't be my only phone, as I currently also have a Lumia 925 that I'm going to keep and use mostly for photos and videos as it has a superior camera. I don't think this fact can be easily disputed. I've seen the photo threads here on the forums, though, and I'm still fairly impressed with the quality of photos being taken. I'm not sure low-light will be as impressive and the Z10 doesn't have OIS which DOES make for a very smooth video. So the two devices will be used side by side, though the Z10 will be my primary device.

That all being said, I understand with the latest update that the Android layer has been updated and now supports more apps, as well as performs better now-a-days with the update. What kind of caveats have you guys been running into, if any? Any difficulties? Any particular apps that are must-haves that can't be sideloaded? Again, this isn't to knock BB10 down, but to make me aware before I buy so I don't have unrealistic expectations.

From the initial BB10 launch, I know the OS has been updated and contains a ton of new features. What are some highlights? Anything still missing that is a must-have that an app doesn't resolve?

I hear that BBM has been a wonderful experience on Android handsets -- Has anyone experienced an increase in use of BBM? Back in the day I remember BBM being the most amazing thing since sliced bread -- A must use in any environment, professional or otherwise.

Any other 'must knows'? I've been trying to find a smartdock of some kind hoping that there's some kind of way, with the update to the USB allowing for host devices, to use the phone in a more desktop-like manner (I fully accept that it doesn't turn into a desktop )

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Robert Crist; 11-14-13 at 12:15 PM. Reason: My Z30 has arrived!
    11-12-13 11:06 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Sounds like you want a z30..
    Robert Crist and RyanGermann like this.
    11-12-13 11:16 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

That's a whole lotta questions!

The camera isn't great, but isn't too bad either. The time shift pics are cool, but really not useful on a daily basis for most users. And you're right, I get a lot of shake making videos.

Lots of OS changes & enhancements since you left. I'll dig out a great link outlining the new 10.2 OS release and post it here as soon as I find it again.
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-12-13 11:23 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Sounds like you want a z30..
    I actually thought about the Z30, but before stating why I'm looking to go Z10 instead, let me ask if I may, for what reason do you recommend a Z30 to me over the Z10?

Based on my understanding of things, the Z30 is superior in terms of hardware performance and screen size. This is a plus and a minus to me -- The performance is always welcome but the screensize is prohibitive to me. I used a Note 2 for a time and while I enjoyed having such a large display, it was uncomfortable on a belt clip and didn't want to sit right in any suit pocket at work. Perhaps that's a dumb thing to base the decision off of, but there it is.

I'm checking out PhoneArena's Comparison to validate my prior argument and the Z30 is also a dual-core operating 200MHz faster with the same amount of RAM and lower DPI screen. That being said, I know that those metrics are only so valid, using Windows Phone as an example -- Extremely fluid operating experience despite lower performance hardware. That being said, it seems like the Z30's biggest advantage is just the screen size. Not having seen or used a Z30 or a Z10 long enough to compare the two with any competence, does anyone having one or the other have any feedback therein?
    Last edited by Robert Crist; 11-13-13 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Details concerning the Z30
    11-12-13 11:56 PM
    I've used the Z10 for a long time and the Z30 for a while now. 1 Month plus. It is day and night and it is hard to go back to a z10 size. if you can play with a 5 incher and can use it almost one handed, go for the Z30. The Z30 is just so much smoother - performance wise.
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 12:18 AM
    I've used the Z10 for a long time and the Z30 for a while now. 1 Month plus. It is day and night and it is hard to go back to a z10 size. if you can play with a 5 incher and can use it almost one handed, go for the Z30. The Z30 is just so much smoother - performance wise.
    That's excellent feedback, thank you I have to wonder where the extra performance is coming from -- Is the 200MHz making that much of a difference?

EDIT: Apparently the graphics chip is different, lending to better graphics performance. I went ahead and ordered one on Amazon just now. Hopefully it doesn't actually take until December 6th to come in!

EDIT 2: According to this, I'll be in the 1900 band wherever I'm at so I'll have HSPA+ -- Otherwise I'm assuming I'll have 3G data.
    Last edited by Robert Crist; 11-13-13 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Ordered a Z30
    11-13-13 12:20 AM
    welcome back. i've a Z10 since April and it good, but the Z30 is better. with further OS updates the OS 10 devices will get even better than they are today. going for the Z30 was a smarter choice.
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 08:08 AM
    Welcome back to Crack! Can't answer about the Z30, but I do love my Z10. It's the perfect size for me. Might feel different if I actually was able to see a Z30
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 11:08 AM
    EDIT 2: According to this, I'll be in the 1900 band wherever I'm at so I'll have HSPA+ -- Otherwise I'm assuming I'll have 3G data.
    Not sure what region you're in but the Z30 does support LTE so you should be able to do better than "just" 3G or 4G (when your carrier rolls it out).

Also, if you are going to be using your Z30 for business, note that it supports Miracast (wirelessly sending the image from your device to a Miracast / Intel WiDi enabled device) so you'll be able to do presentations / screen sharing directly from your phone. I haven't tried it myself, but it's another thing that makes the Z30 a bit better than the Z10.
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 11:22 AM
    Any other 'must knows'? I've been trying to find a smartdock of some kind hoping that there's some kind of way, with the update to the USB allowing for host devices, to use the phone in a more desktop-like manner (I fully accept that it doesn't turn into a desktop )

Thanks everyone!
    I believe this is only available on the z30 ... can't recall if the Q10 has anything like this definitely not the Z10
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 11:53 AM
    That's excellent feedback, thank you I have to wonder where the extra performance is coming from -- Is the 200MHz making that much of a difference?

EDIT: Apparently the graphics chip is different, lending to better graphics performance. I went ahead and ordered one on Amazon just now. Hopefully it doesn't actually take until December 6th to come in!

I think you will be ok with the 3G+ or H+ as they call it. I have that also with T-Mobile due to the fact that I have an HTC One directly from Taiwan (the factory), and the H+ speed is pretty fast. Would I have preferred LTE? Sure, BUT I am happy.

Also welcome back!
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 12:49 PM
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I updated my OP and would like to say that I cancelled my order on Amazon for the Z30 SCA100-2 because I found a 100-5 on eBay for the same price. I'm having it rushed ship to me and according to the shipper it should be here by tomorrow! Woo!
    zocster likes this.
    11-13-13 02:59 PM
    Just wanted to update again. My -5 Z30 will be here tomorrow morning by 10:30AM!

Thus begs the question: Other than the normal setup and updates, what do I do first? I need to research this unlocked Android runtime procedure as well as other things people are doing to their 30.
    11-13-13 08:43 PM
    Just wanted to update again. My -5 Z30 will be here tomorrow morning by 10:30AM!

Thus begs the question: Other than the normal setup and updates, what do I do first? I need to research this unlocked Android runtime procedure as well as other things people are doing to their 30.
    I'd first shut off "show what I'm listening to" in BBM. Then download the CB mobile app. Go download beta zone for BlackBerry and check out BBM channels! Enjoy !
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 09:03 PM
    Welcome Back to CrackBerry!
    Robert Crist likes this.
    11-13-13 10:04 PM
    My Z30 has arrived! Woo! I fired it up, started loading up some apps, configured a bunch of the things, and am letting it charge before I sideload and whatnot. You can check out my initial thoughts here if you're interested.
    11-14-13 12:16 PM
    Welcome Back to CrackBerry! Enjoy your Z30!
    11-17-13 10:46 AM