Ladies and gentlemen,
    (long post expected, sorry in advance )

hello and hi from Switzerland. Almost by mistake I got a really ancient 7290 off ebay about a week ago, and I am considering myself hooked, after trying out virtually any mobile platform that exists (minus Android).
    I was really impressed with the (blatantly obvious) instant e-mail delivery, but perhaps even more with the UI and the general snappiness of the system (then again, coming from Windows Mobile this shouldn't have caught me in a surprise). I still cherish the memories of ol' Treo 650 though.

Here is the first question for the gurus. As soon as the obvious deficiencies
    of the machine several years old start showing up, I will be searching for another device.
    I was able to get my paws on the Bold, the 8310 Curve, and very briefly on the 8820. My two issues are: currently, my reference point is the 7290. The keyboard is plain fantastic and the response of the system + the battery life are unbelievable. I am fully aware that the newer models are likely all worse in all mentioned parameters. My question is by how much?
    What I want in a new device is: easiness of use (should be inherent to the OS, so common for all models), good keyboard (shouldn't have problems writing a post like this on it), possibility to tether it to the laptop (doesn't necessarily mean 3G by definition, although mostly welcomed). Wifi would be a plus, although not required, but I'd like to have GPS. How are external GPS applications going on with Blackberries anyway?

Ok, so much for now, and hi again!

regards,

Juraj
    11-09-08 08:42 AM
    welcome to CB!
    11-09-08 08:48 AM
    Welcome to the CB family! :-)
    11-09-08 10:32 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 10:47 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I am fully aware that the newer models are likely all worse in all mentioned parameters. My question is by how much?

BlackBerry - BlackBerry 7290 Wireless Handheld Device | With Quad-Band Smartphone, Bluetooth & Email

Most of us are not familuar with the 72xx devices. For the most part, they are not consumer oriented but suited to use in commercial climate.

Overview
    With the BlackBerry 7290 Wireless Handheld youll benefit from all the features the BlackBerry solution has to offer including phone, email, browser and organizer in a small, lightweight handheld with a comfortable feel. And, with easy-to-use navigation and a QWERTY keyboard, staying connected is easier than ever.

OS issues and ease of use should be identical. The physical differences in the keyboard and display are minor and I would expect similar use of use.
    11-09-08 10:54 AM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

I am fully aware that the newer models are likely all worse in all mentioned parameters. My question is by how much?
    Aside from battery which will be better due to the fact it does have the color, the speed of the network (3g or class 10 EDGE), the speed of the device is significantly faster. I started with an 8700c which was pretty fast, then went to a 7290 and decided it was too slow and not pleasing to the eyes. I quickly got a Pearl to replace it and the difference was there.

How are external GPS applications going on with Blackberries anyway?
    3rd party applications work pretty well. IMO BB maps and the carriers application work the best. A lot like Gmaps (google maps) as well. I have never really had an issue besides receiving a phone call during the route. Other than that, it seems to work better than most of the cheap navigation units out. A lot of the cheap ones don't even say street names. The carrier branded navigation ($10/mo) and Nav4All (free) say the names.

11-09-08 12:12 PM
    Hi,

thanks a lot for the feedback! Can you elaborate on the "Aside from battery which will be better due to the fact it does have the color" part? As to my knowledge, all the models in question do have color display... Admittedly, the one on the 7290 looks a bit etch&sketch but still it serves the purpose...
    As far as GPS are concerned, I was more interested in something that would not involve downloading the maps via the operator, but rather having them stored on memory card (economical reasons mostly :-) ). Also, Telenav & co are not applicable to me, as I reside on the right-hand side of the Atlantic. BBMaps may be the solution, but I've never seen it in practice and as far as I know it still downloads the maps OTA?
    My operator doesn't have any EDGE towers, so for me it's either plain old GPRS, 3G or HSDPA.
    I am positively amazed that the new models are faster than the 7290... IMO response of that machine I found very adequate and much snappier that I am used to, coming from the Redmond camp.

Juraj
    11-09-08 12:23 PM
    Welcome to CB and enjoy the addiction
    11-09-08 02:20 PM
    I hope to get back to bthis post later, though I see that you're of course getting lots of good feeback so far.

The curve's keyboard is great and I am very happy with the Bolds as well.

In the mean time ...Welcome to CB! Take advantage of the BB 101 and the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Cracberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help

11-09-08 05:45 PM
    I never owned a 72 series but I have had a 7100 8700 and now my 8320 and the 8700 I think is still one of the better ones for me. Don't get me wrong I love my curve but I think the 8700 was easier for my thumbs to type on. Just my 2 cents.

11-09-08 05:54 PM
    Right. I will probably end up going for the Bold, as getting Curve at this stage would cost roughly the same. If only there was something with the Curve formfactor and Bold features ..
    11-10-08 06:27 AM
    welcome to crackberry!!
    11-10-08 08:19 AM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!!
    11-10-08 08:22 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!

~JEF~
    11-14-08 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD