So I've never had a smartphone before. I've been a Razr owner for the last 2 years, and my Tmobile contract is finally up come December.

I've been dying to get my hands on a Curve for the last couple of months, hopefully turning me into an official crackberry addict.

Question: I've been with tmo for a while now, like their myFaves, they have the Curve available. I've also got another phone with Sprint (BF's phone) and a second (business) phone on the family share plan. I was planning on just adding on a third line to Sprint to save on money overall and get my Curve through them at a new line price ($99 right now).

I'm just wondering as I've been reading it seems that a lot of people are tmo or verizon users, not so much Sprint. Is there a reason, or am I just missing all the Sprint users?

Coverage isn't an issue, both services are great in my area. I'm trying to make the most informed decision but going over tons of information on the different plans is making my eyes bleed.

Am I missing anything that may be an issue or deal breaker by moving to Sprint instead of tmo?

And I look forward to tons of time spent here learning all I can about my crackberry!

PS. I've also noticed Tmo has curves with wifi and sprint doesn't. What would I need/use wifi on my curve for, is this important?
    Last edited by manderly; 11-15-08 at 02:13 AM.
    11-15-08 01:59 AM
    I personally think there are more disgruntled, unhappy Sprint customers than there are Verizon.
    11-15-08 02:10 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

There are a bunch of new Blackberry phones that have either just been released or are about to be released. So whilst the Curve is a truly fantastic phone, you may find that you have more options if you wait (yeah, I know) a while.

Have a look in the Bold (9000), Storm (95xx), and Javelin (8900) and of course the Curve (83xx) forums on Crackberry. You may find yourself tempted by other shiny toys .
    11-15-08 03:02 AM
    I had sprint for 5 years and I left for tmo because of sprints customer service

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 03:06 AM
    Hi,

Let me say I have sprint and I love the 8330(curve) I have no issue what's so ever with the phone or coverage. I do however have trouble with customer service, but as of late its getting better.

Sprints CDMA network is 3G (EVDO) which is the Verizon, Alltel and Sprint 3G. CDMA currently do not have wifi, but they have more memory and a larger screen. 3G is for faster web browsing on CDMA phones.

Tmo curve is good because it has wifi and if you have the HotSpot plan you can make calls over Wifi when there is poor cellular reception. Tmo curve without Wifi runs on EDGE which is slower the 3G, bit if on wifi you get good speed browsing the net.

So that's my breakdown......well sprint gets bb's later there most carriers but there are a more refined product and thus have less issues.

Good luck with your choice!

Sprints 99.99 simply everything plan is GREAT and is worth it! Cheapest of any carrier hands down!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 03:15 AM
    First of all, can I say that I'm stoked to see an educated consumer?? Do a search on this site for people who bought a Verizon Curve and are now unhappy that they can't use WIFI on it!

With that being said, as you yourself have said, there's a TON of information out there and you will never be able to take it all in. I would take out a blank sheet of paper, list the things you will want out of a blackberry, and then out of a plan. Then find the carrier that will be able to provide most of that.

I chose Verizon because nearly everyone I know has Verizon, so I can talk to them for free. Unfortunately, the setback is, I have no WIFI or GPS (I choose not to pay for their service). So, there are probably pros and cons for each carrier. KUDOS for making a patient, educated decision!
    11-15-08 03:16 AM
    Thanks for the welcome

Pete6, while I'm lusting after the shinier objects, I'm currently unemployed (hopefully for not much longer) and can't justify a large expense for a phone. I'm amazed at how many people have a whole bunch of different phones and swap them out. I can't imagine how they can afford that! But it must be wonderful

morales0146, the $99 everything plan is what originally enticed me. That and my BF was a Nextel user and got absorbed into Sprint. Since he has a new phone, he'll be on contract for a loooong time. It doesn't make sense for me to have a different carrier at an extra expense when I can tack it on as a family share and upgrade.

TheSultan, why thank you for the compliment. I try hard to educate myself as much as possible (to the point of obsessing sometimes), but with all the info out there I worry that I will make the wrong choice. Heck, I almost bought a Pearl 3 months ago when I had some extra cash, only to discover I really didn't like the keyboard layout and now the Curve has dropped $50.

And the problem with weighing the pros and cons is that I really DON'T know what I'd like/want my phone to do, since I've pretty much only ever used my phone as a.....phone. I'm sure I'll fail to think of something and wish I had it or think I need something and find it completely useless.

And regarding Sprint customer service, I've had pretty good experiences with them actually. BF had some free minutes thing on his plan when he signed up that expired a while ago without us noticing, so suddenly he was WAY over his minutes. Like $500. I called and complained how uncool that was and they removed those extra charges and upped him to an appropriate plan. Very easy and friendly. But then again, I have heard horror stories. Either I've been lucky or my experience in customer service gives me some sort of ability to speak to them and get what I want. Who knows.
    11-15-08 03:58 AM
    Actually there are more AT&T Blackberry users, but between the other 3, I think it is between Verizon or T-mobile. T-mobile sells pearls like no others.

Adding a line may not save you money unless you are canceling or porting over the t-mobile line. It is $99 for the phone and $239.76 for two years. If you are canceling the you are saving.

Also... welcome to the addiction
    11-15-08 04:03 AM

Adding a line may not save you money unless you are canceling or porting over the t-mobile line. It is $99 for the phone and $239.76 for two years. If you are canceling the you are saving.

Also... welcome to the addiction

Tmobile is expiring. Was going to take my number to Sprint, no more Tmobile.

But now I'm reading about how great Tmobile is (they are), and I'm going to look more into killing the Sprint and staying with Tmobile. We shall see

And thanks for the welcome!
    11-15-08 04:25 AM
    Welcome to CB!

I switched from TMO to Sprint due to dead zones in my area. I have much better coverage with Sprint. I had the 8320 when I was with TMO. The wifi was cool to have, but it really didn't do much for me. The GPS feature on my 8330, now that is very kewl. I use the GPS much more than wifi. It's your decision. Either way....

Enjoy the addiction
    11-15-08 07:25 AM
    I'm new to the Crackberry thing, but I've been a Sprint customer for 8 years. I've found that if you're the sort of person who likes to fiddle with things all the time (constantly adding/removing services, changing plans, etc.) you'll probably HATE Sprint's customer service, but if you put a little thought in beforehand, pick a plan/set of services that works for you and leave it alone for the most part, a) you'll rarely NEED their customer service and b) when you do it won't be as likely to get screwed up.

I've only changed my plan a few times over the years, usually when they were offering nice incentives to stay at the end of contracts, and have had no issues with their customer service. You may not need the full-blown Simply Everything plan, by the way... if you don't need the unlimited minutes there's an almost-everything plan for 450 minutes at $69.99... you said you're unemployed so $30/month is a big difference. We have a shared "Everything Data Family" at $129/month that covers both phones and gets us 1500 minutes... so if the boyfriend is a keeper you could get him to move to a family plan and port your number onto that.
    11-15-08 09:08 AM
    Welcome to CB!

I switched from TMO to Sprint due to dead zones in my area. I have much better coverage with Sprint. I had the 8320 when I was with TMO. The wifi was cool to have, but it really didn't do much for me. The GPS feature on my 8330, now that is very kewl. I use the GPS much more than wifi. It's your decision. Either way....

Enjoy the addiction
    On top of that... between the Crackberry's well-optimized data communications and the much higher speed of Sprint EVDO vs. TMo GPRS, you don't NEED the wifi as much in the Sprint device.
    11-15-08 09:10 AM
    I'm new to the Crackberry thing, but I've been a Sprint customer for 8 years. I've found that if you're the sort of person who likes to fiddle with things all the time (constantly adding/removing services, changing plans, etc.) you'll probably HATE Sprint's customer service, but if you put a little thought in beforehand, pick a plan/set of services that works for you and leave it alone for the most part, a) you'll rarely NEED their customer service and b) when you do it won't be as likely to get screwed up.

I've only changed my plan a few times over the years, usually when they were offering nice incentives to stay at the end of contracts, and have had no issues with their customer service. You may not need the full-blown Simply Everything plan, by the way... if you don't need the unlimited minutes there's an almost-everything plan for 450 minutes at $69.99... you said you're unemployed so $30/month is a big difference. We have a shared "Everything Data Family" at $129/month that covers both phones and gets us 1500 minutes... so if the boyfriend is a keeper you could get him to move to a family plan and port your number onto that.
    Nice first post! Allow me to welcome you and Manderly to the CB fam!
    11-15-08 09:15 AM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    11-15-08 04:07 PM
    Being from Canada, can't help you much on the carrier question Anyways, me like lot's other people here... as you've probably have already noticed are eager to help.

So on with the Welcome parade. Nice to see you manderly!

Welcome to Crackberry!

Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

No worries Intervention is not in our vocabulary here, enjoy your addiction to the fullest.
    11-15-08 05:21 PM
    Welcome to CB! I personally use Verizon because it has the best coverage in my area. I've never had a problem with them, and the Customer Service has been no problem!
    11-15-08 05:37 PM
    Wow, thank you everyone!

I'm glad to hear that Sprint is ok, because I think that's really the best deal for me now.

I appreciate the big, warm welcome. I'll see you all around the boards
    11-15-08 06:21 PM
    Welcome : ) Since I'm in Canada I can't help you with the carrier question.

Personally I love my curve! But there are definetly lots of interesting blackberrys on the way ! They're all wonderful, trust me you'll be addicted to whatever you choose!!!
    11-15-08 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD