Hi everyone,

I had a work-issued BlackBerry 8700, but am no longer working on the project that required me to have one, so I now need my own.

Now that I'm more actively day-trading, I need uninterrupted access to a mobile trading platform as 1) I can't be chained to my desk all day- as trading opportunities can occur whether I'm driving, in a meeting, at lunch, etc. 2) I watch my Internet use at work and don't want to conduct an excessive amount of personal business on my work computer.

So...I'm looking to purchase a basic (probably used) BB device on my own. I currently have a contract with Verizon for my RAZR phone, so I'll have to check to see if I could add BB data service and purchase a 'Verizon compatible' device. That would be the easiest and most cost-effective method.

Are there any carriers that will activate an 'unlocked' BlackBerry a new subscriber has purchased independently? And equally important, do all the carriers lock you into 2 year plans? I've been looking at the websites of a few major carriers and am discouraged by what I see. I'm already paying for my Verizon phone and don't want to spend $200++ on a new BlackBerry and another $100 per month (and be locked in for 2 years) in addition to paying for my current phone!!

I'd appreciate any info from anyone that could offer some insight.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
    11-21-07 02:59 PM
    Purchasing a Verizon device would be your only choice if you plan on staying with Verizon. They do not allow other newtorks devices on their network. Just look through our Marketplace forum to see if something there meets your needs.
    11-21-07 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD