On the bb 8830, what kind of attachments can be opened?

That is, I see that it opens attachments created in ms-word xp; is there a list somewhere of what file types it will open?
    07-05-07 07:54 PM
    I have found that with different programs I have installed, it allows different attachments to be viewed. Though I do not know of a list of the ones that are default.
    With gridmagic (a program much like excel) it comes with an attachment plan that allows you to view most attachments, there are also some free programs out there to view pdf and word and other files, but I have not tested them personally. One such program can be found at:Blackberry Freeware - Free Software: Document File Viewer
    07-05-07 11:50 PM
    Notepad documents open! What I did, till I got RepliGo, was to copy Word documents I use all the time to Notepad, and copy those to my memory card...

Ps: DocumentToGo, by DataViz will be released soon, too. But, am sure it will be a bit pricey. Albeit it's a great program, I use to use it with a Palm (sorry, did I just swear?) years, and years ago...
    07-06-07 04:34 AM
    I have found that with different programs I have installed, it allows different attachments to be viewed. Though I do not know of a list of the ones that are default.
    With gridmagic (a program much like excel) it comes with an attachment plan that allows you to view most attachments, there are also some free programs out there to view pdf and word and other files, but I have not tested them personally. One such program can be found at:Blackberry Freeware - Free Software: Document File Viewer
    Thanks for the tips.
    07-06-07 06:11 PM
    How did the notepad document open for you? when I go and try to to open the notepad document, where there was text it was all black and half the screen is white. if you go into desktop mode, you can highlight the black area to read the text. I'm assuming this isn't what happened to you...
    08-03-07 11:51 PM
    I just got my 8830 a few weeks ago and its my first BB.

I'm having the same problem described above. I've tried to view uploaded pdf and txt files and get the half black half white screen with no text. I called tech support and was told to reboot but that didn't help.

I actually downloaded the viewer mentioned earlier in this thread. For some reason, the viewer's icon is on my BB desktop but when I click on it, nothing happens.

I'm at my wits end. Can anyone PLEASE help me? Thanks.
    08-08-07 06:37 AM
    Once the Notepad (.txt) files are copied to the memory card, or internal card (I place them in a document folder), from the device go to:
    Media / menu / explore / media card / blackberry / documents (folder I created) / then select the said document you copied to the device...

I've tested it again, and it's working like it should. As for .pdf documents, am sure it will not open without something like BeamBerry or Repligo, or something like that...
    08-08-07 07:48 AM
    Thanks Navilyn.

From the start, I did basically the same thing you did by creating a new folder on my media card where I uploaded all of my pdf and txt files. I named it "media" instead of "documents" but that shouldn't matter. It never has worked so that didn't make a difference.

According to the manual, the 8830 should be able to read pdf's without any 3rd party software. This has been confirmed by other users.

I will try installing Repligo. I have no clue why the Beamberry that I installed (several times bythe way) won't start. This whole thing has been very frustrating.

Are there any other procedures I should try or any other free 3rd party software packs that could help me view pdf and txt's?

Thanks.
    08-08-07 10:38 AM
    Once the Notepad (.txt) files are copied to the memory card, or internal card (I place them in a document folder), from the device go to:
    Media / menu / explore / media card / blackberry / documents (folder I created) / then select the said document you copied to the device...

I've tested it again, and it's working like it should. As for .pdf documents, am sure it will not open without something like BeamBerry or Repligo, or something like that...
    I had originally done what you did, make a folder on my micro SD card, went to media > menu > explore > (document location), and again, when I try to open again, the screen is black and white (black area covering text which can be read by highlighting in desktop mode). Did you already try opening the .txt file before installing software such as repligo? I've tried many times and I still can't get my BB to read .txt files properly
    08-10-07 11:11 PM
    i am having the same problem as "wayman", i cannot find freeware that will view my pdf. only the black & white screen. beambery wont open my files either. help please.
    08-17-07 11:14 AM
    On the newer BlackBerry's (8100, 8300 & 8800) reading plain text files work from the offset, i.e. no install of software needed etc, etc. If it's not working, I find that very strange...

Unless it's carrier specific...
    08-17-07 11:31 AM
    Man, I'm getting extremely angry...seeing how there is an icon without a question mark, tells me that my BlackBerry recognizes the type of file it is, but I don't know why it's not opening correctly. I sent the same .txt file to a friend who has a PEARL and is with Rogers and opened it, and it opened fine. I highly doubt that it has to do with the carrier; why would a carrier modify the OS from reading a .txt file incorrectly? If anyone is with Bell and has a similar problem or they have got .txt files to open correctly, please post. If this helps, my OS version is 4.2.2.123 and Bell hasn't posted/uploaded any type of upgrade or patch.
    08-31-07 12:33 AM
    I am on Telus and having the same issue (black on top, blank on bottom). Document files that have been emailed to me open without a problem.
    09-05-07 11:02 AM
    I'm thinking of loading another OS from another carrier to see if it's just Bell's OS (I don't see why it would be...) to see if that's the problem.
    09-05-07 01:08 PM
    Finally got it to work, talked to Bell and RIM, updated my OS to v4.2.2.176 (platform 3.0.0.79) and all text files are able to be viewed!
    12-11-07 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD