Gracious ladies and noble gentlemen,

I am still on a hunt for a long-term relationship with something push-mail enabled. I had a taste of what the BB can do with my current, although ancient 7290.
    I would like to upgrade, as you could perhaps imagine. Therefore, I appeal to the wiser and smarter. I am reasonably updated with current Blackberry headlines, but the Storm craziness leaves me untouched. I want what the Blackberries were famous for (great text-typing, UI where everything is within reach, long battery-life...).
    Long story short: GSM required. I have no use of EDGE, 3G would be nice. I found Bold a bit too flashy and fragile-looking to my taste, although as of now it seems like the best option. Curve looks nice, I like the keyboard and the feel of the device, alas, no 3G. I can also get cheap 8820, which seems solidly built, alas, "keyboard is crappy" forums say and no 3G either. I can hold breath and wait for the 8900, or, and here comes the heart of my question, ebay out a 8707g. This one is supposed to have 3G, long battery life, outstanding keyboard, BB Messenger, reasonably up-to-dated OS, minus SD card and most of the HW features. However, it seems to be a bit dated.

My question to the BB ninjas is: Is it completely loco to compare the 8707g to the current state-of-the-art devices? Or would any sane person get it instead of, say, Curve? I am, frankly, reasonably happy with my "Old Blue", but lack of any compatible SW for it, plus a bit poor physical state-of-mind (ebayed also for about $40) makes me look around a bit, so to speak. As I mentioned one post ago, Bold feels to me a bit too fragile, that's my primary concern.
    Economical factor is not an issue, hopefully the device will pay for itself really soon.

Thanks a lot in advance for any feedback! Best advices will be rewarded with a picture of the bottle of the most expensive swiss wine that I can find

Juraj
    11-23-08 01:56 PM
    seriously just go for the bold. its a solid device.
    11-23-08 11:05 PM
    My opinion is go for the curve. I have the 8300 through AT&T and I love it. But if you do go with the 8707g that's not bad either. looks like your main concern is 3G and for the phone not to be so fragile, and that's what you're gonna get with the 8707g. Before having my curve, I had the 8700c and loved it too.
    11-24-08 12:42 PM
    I got an 8707v for my time in Japan. I got on fine with it (much like the 8700 which I had prior to that). I recently reverted back to the 8707v from my 8320 before spending more time in Japan.

I can tell you that, apart from having connectivity in places that don't offer 2G/2.5G coverage, you won't be taking advantage of the 3G bandwidth very much. I loaded the "latest" OS for the 8707 onto my unit and, while it's improved from what it came loaded with, it's no where near as able bodied as the 4.5 I'm running on my Curve.

Really, I'd go for the Bold if I were you. It offers 3G coverage on three different bands (to the 8707's single band), has WiFi and GPS and is much, much faster and comes with a lot more space on board. It's a much better device.
    11-24-08 01:24 PM
    11-24-08 04:53 PM
    I have the 8330, and I love it - would not change it for any other phone - Bold or Storm included - regardless of what everyone else says...

Search the forums, the 8330 is a solid choice for form, function and features - everyone seems to love it.

Good luck in your decision!
    11-24-08 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD