I'm still sorting out all information about BB and Data plans but am confused about why 3G is necessary.

BB has two new phones that look interesting to me, the Bold, and Niagara or Javelin.

The Bold has 3G capabilities and the Niagara doesn't. I realize 3G is ATT and VZN has it's own naming convention, but isn't the 3G speeds only advantageous for Tethering or does it also improve surfing speeds for your BB?

I guess I am asking, why do you need a 3G device with BB?

Thanks
    Dennis
    08-15-08 09:57 PM
    I'm still sorting out all information about BB and Data plans but am confused about why 3G is necessary.

BB has two new phones that look interesting to me, the Bold, and Niagara or Javelin.

The Bold has 3G capabilities and the Niagara doesn't. I realize 3G is ATT and VZN has it's own naming convention, but isn't the 3G speeds only advantageous for Tethering or does it also improve surfing speeds for your BB?

I guess I am asking, why do you need a 3G device with BB?

Thanks
    Dennis
    well i would say this its not something you would need ....but deff. something your going to want it is so much faster
    thats why the iphone had to try and catch up lol lol
    08-15-08 10:08 PM
    well i would say this its not something you would need ....but deff. something your going to want it is so much faster
    thats why the iphone had to try and catch up lol lol
    So 3G effects your whole Data speed for your phone and isn't just used for Tethering?

If it does make you phone able to surf faster, than I can see why it would be a necessity.

Thanks for your answer.
    Dennis
    08-15-08 10:50 PM
    So 3G effects your whole Data speed for your phone and isn't just used for Tethering?

If it does make you phone able to surf faster, than I can see why it would be a necessity.

Thanks for your answer.
    Dennis
    yes and it does help with tethering also sorry i forgot to mentin that .....
    you wont be sorry with a bb and plus you will have cb
    08-16-08 02:17 AM
    Here is a situation that 3G could be helpful. I was walking towards downtown Berkely CA last night, meeting up with some friends at a bar. I knew the name of the bar but didn't know the location, so I did a search in Googlemaps. First off, the search took awhile to return any results and then I had to wait for the map to draw in. I was checking my watch and it took a little over a minute for everything to finish loading.

While a minute doesn't sound like a long time, it feels like an eternity when you're standing alone on a street corner, on a dark and windy night. Just my two cents. YMMV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 05:13 AM
    It's really what you need. Where I live, 3G is intermittent and switches back and forth to EDGE. I was using a WinMo phone and it was 3G. I use Audible so the convenience of 3G was great for downloading books; however, I've had my Curve since 8/14 and it is amazing. Do you remember the saying, "If you only knew what you were missing"? It is that way with the BB. It is like getting your first Oreo.

Take a look at what you use your phone for and what is important in features. I personally will go with a Javelin for the wireless capability if AT&T offers it as that will facilitate the only thing I really need the speed for, which is downloading Audible books directly to the BB.
    08-16-08 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD