05-16-11 11:07 AM
50 12
tools
    Instead of all the bashing here, why dont we think about what RIM should do to turn the ship around....
    They are profitable and know how to run a business...

Device quality seems to be there (for the most part )
    From what I see, its mostly the software and app compatibility that is killing them...
    With regards to hardware, it appears the new devices ( well, only device, 9900 officially) will be on par specs-wise. So future devices should be bigger, faster, brighter.... etc

I think its pretty clear that "smartphone users" are demanding more and more of their devices, not only do they want to work on them, but they may also like to play on them or socialize with them.

WRT OS7 (formerly 6.1...speculation) it will be interesting to see in reality what OS7 does on the 9900.....

So what do you guys/gals think? I know there are tons of opinionated users on this board so dont be shy!!!!

IMO- Software reliability and app compatibility ....final answer
    05-09-11 03:49 PM
  2. T
    I think RIM should do everything in its power to not become like apple or android. I see nothing wrong with BlackBerry, its specs, or its os/software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Masahiro, squished18 and rick0415 like this.
    05-09-11 04:31 PM
    I think they need to work on their PR issues and clear up the confusion surrounding their decisions.

They need to make it clear that are making phones that are for both corporate users and consumers.

They need to work on faster turnarounds. They need to clear up the confusion that is going on within the company about their platforms.
    05-09-11 04:52 PM
    They have two major issues to address IMHO. The biggest is the generally poor selection of third party apps. The second is forcing the use of BIS or BES to access mail services. BES is great if you want to pay for it but BIS access to some email providers is not as good as accessing the same provider via Exchange Active Sync.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 05-09-11 at 10:17 PM.
    05-09-11 04:52 PM
    1. Stop exclusive agreements with carriers: How many more Torches would have sold if available on the other 3 carriers? How many more Storms? Apple no longer has exclusive agreements; Samsung, HTC and Motorola offer the same looking Android slabs across carriers, why should RIM lock itself in anymore.

2. Get the OS7 phones out soon: Last new phones out were before the Holidays. Everything available now is dull and stale. You've probably lost Millions on people using upgrades to give Apple or Android a try because an 83XX or 9000 or 9630 can still do the core BB functions and not much has been added in recent devices, except the Torch, but see 1!

3. Make future refreshes meaningful: OS7 phone hardware looks stellar, but you've lost a lot of business from people skipping upgrades over past 3 years. Sorry but a 9630 to 9650 just wasn't worth it without more there for some people.

4. Make Highlander available to OS7 devices, and tell people now that these OS7 devices will be able to run Highlander in some way. Maybe it won't have the full multitasking abilities, or maybe it will be a lite version, but these new processor and GPU's should be able to much more than just OS7. More people will by these OS7 devices in 2011 knowing that QNX in some way, shape or form will be available to them in 2012. A lot of people are worried that OS7 devices are a dead end and worry that OS7 doesn't offer a whole lot over 6. Sure you'll still sell OS7 devices, but if you get more people in with promise of Highlander then you may get even more of those same people to upgrade early to a dual core 2012 phone for even better QNX experience. I'm just trying to get you more sales now and in 2012 RIM!

5. Use some of that $3 Billion in Cash on hand to beef up your engineering groups. You seem to not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Growing globally is great, but you need to be able to grow globally and still offer your more developed, wealthier markets with products that compete well in the respective markets.

6. Have more internal developers developing apps for your devices or pay third party developers to develop apps for you: People need to see what the ecosystem can do before they commit to it, which means you have to sink some cost into apps. Developers need ROI, either by sales of the app, or a one time development payment to justify writing quality apps.

7. Get a charismatic speaker who can sell the Brooklyn Bridge to do your announcements. Mike L is not this at all. Not saying you have to ditch him as CEO, just keep him on a shorter leash and isolate him from situations that as of late have reflected poorly on the company.

8. Work with carriers to end the BES tax, or proxy BES through BIS somehow to circumvent the carriers. Tunnel in a tunnel. I know it works with VPN's, should work with your stuff too.

Whoooooo. Done now. Just to cut off people in case people take my constructive criticism of RIM to personal: I'm going to buy an OS7 device to replace my Tour, and I own and love my Playbook.
    05-09-11 05:00 PM
    Faster release of new devices and a major improvement in marketing.
    05-09-11 05:04 PM
    OK! so What I think RIM should do as the Arm Chair CEO emerges

RIM Needs to Increase relationships with Microsoft!
    1) Sell Microsoft on Making Office for Blackberry.
    >> Office for Blackberry would be an office suite for SALE on each blackberry device, free users would use Doc2Go, Those of us who are actual business users would pay approximately $20 for Word/Excel/Powerpoint/OneNote/SharePoint or sell them individually for $6.99, THIS should be a priority as it requires no RIM R&D and ALL microsoft R&D and offers something Android and iOS don't have,
    2) Introduce BASIC ActiveSync functions to allow Consumer BB's to connect to a NON BES environment, without security protocals pushed, this would be fore the BESX user base more than a BES user replacement
    3) Work With Microsoft to increase the quality of BING Maps + BB Maps, add Features to BING Maps + BB Maps that integrate with the Smartphone, as in Mapping contacts with a single click and storing contact maps on BING as well as on the BB

RIM Needs to increase relationships with 3rd Party developers, Donate some money to Open source projects to have them build RIM Ports, of Applications like VLC, RealVNC, 7Zip, Skype (not Open Source I know),

My Internal Focus would be on a consistent road map of device launches, and upgrade cycles
    I would be launching
    2 Bold Models, on 24 Month intervals, 9000 size 1 year, the following year 9700 size
    3 Curve Models on 36 Month Intervals giving 1 every year, but playing with Enter level features, button placement, body shape
    2 Touch Screen Models, a 3.2" Economy touch screen, and a 3.8" Premium touch screen, Both of these would 18 month upgrade cycles lagging 12 months from each other, basically putting the 3.8" specs into the 3.2" 12 months later before launching a New 3.8"
    2 Flip Models, One Pearl sized, one Style sized, released in 24 month intervals Alternating
    2 Slider Models, One Portrait, one Horizontal, Released on 24 Month intervals Alternating.
    What this gives me is Approximately 6 Device launched every year, meaning a device launch every 2 months, This keeps RIM announcing new products consistently never being out of the blogger press, never leaving one device to bask too long in the press as well as attacking most market desires.

My Next Focus would be on Expanding the Playbook, and the IDEA of the Playbook meets the "Transformer" meets the Atrix.
    as RIM I would be moving the idea of the Transformer into the Office environment, Building 17" Playbooks that Dock into a Station is desired, ALSO that station has a DOCK for a Blackberry, which ports control of the Blackberry to the Playbook Station routing incoming calls through a headset and logging them to a server. this enables an office space to be completely fluid, no one needs a specific desk as they sit down at a terminal and plug in their phone for full access, the Playbook being Portable devices easy to move around as needed, and provides more screen real estate at a similar weight than conventional laptops THIS helps to solidify RIM's business presence making the PBX system reliant on BES. and Blackberry's

NOW yet another Target Market would be Medical, trying to make ALL hospitals reliant on having BES's by marketing the Playbook and BES control / encryption to Medical equipment manufacturers, showing them how to incorporate a Hospital bed into a Playbook Dock / Connect it to a BES for live data recording, Sell the Playbook as an MRI reader, X Ray Reader, and creating the tools to get the details faster to the Playbooks, as at this time there would be a 7" 10" and 17" Playbook available on the market.

My Playbook Team would be busy Selling the Playbook to OEM's for Automotive, Rail, and Aircraft, showing push control of the devices but allowing each device to remain independent

on the OS side, I would be pushing OS7 out for the remainder of 2011, and into 2012, launching a QNX based phone for Fiscal Q1, 2013 (April 2012)

My Multi pronged attack into the Market place doesn't stop their! Cloud computing is a major game changer, and with RIM/MS partnerships RIM could unload a lot of burden working with Microsoft for cloud office, BUT RIM Needs to create Cloud BIS management, so users can control their BIS through a browser, as well as get RIM Web Mail. with a WebBased BIS, RIM needs to add parental controls, so a device can be registered to the BIS, of family members and allow for a family member to be an admin and block certain tasks.

Ok I'm rambling it is 2:40am, I will review this another time and fix / add to it
    Last edited by deRusett; 05-10-11 at 02:39 AM.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-09-11 06:07 PM
    I did overlook Marketing... RIM has some serious bumps and bruises as of late and we'll see how they recover
    05-09-11 06:08 PM

3. Make future refreshes meaningful: OS7 phone hardware looks stellar, but you've lost a lot of business from people skipping upgrades over past 3 years. Sorry but a 9630 to 9650 just wasn't worth it without more there for some people.

4. Make Highlander available to OS7 devices, and tell people now that these OS7 devices will be able to run Highlander in some way. Maybe it won't have the full multitasking abilities, or maybe it will be a lite version, but these new processor and GPU's should be able to much more than just OS7. More people will by these OS7 devices in 2011 knowing that QNX in some way, shape or form will be available to them in 2012. A lot of people are worried that OS7 devices are a dead end and worry that OS7 doesn't offer a whole lot over 6. Sure you'll still sell OS7 devices, but if you get more people in with promise of Highlander then you may get even more of those same people to upgrade early to a dual core 2012 phone for even better QNX experience. I'm just trying to get you more sales now and in 2012 RIM!
    I agree with both of these points. OS7 does not seem different enough from OS 6 for me to use my upgrade (I am currently eligible) and get tied into a new 2-year contract on a device that probably will not get QNX.

I will probably wait until 2012 for a QNX device and skip the OS7 devices.
    05-09-11 06:58 PM
    I think RIM should do everything in its power to not become like apple or android. I see nothing wrong with BlackBerry, its specs, or its os/software.

Don't do anything to become like the two power houses? They are doing that just fine now.

What RIM needs to do come out with a very user friendly UI and make it enjoyable to use. The need to come out with phones that are powerful enough to skip the spinning clock syndrome. And they need to do it quickly. Android and Apple are the power houses for a reason. They are so big that RIM is resorting to offering business solution to Android and Apple. That's a good move. OS4, OS5, and OS6 all feel that same. QNX feels different, it feels like it flows, it feels new and refreshing. They need to come out with a QNX powered touch screen phone. They need to have an attractive platform to Development firms and individuals. We'll take Angry Birds as an example. They have a WebOS, WinMo, Android, Apple clients but no Blackberry. There has to be a reason a Powerhouse such as Rivio hasn't done anything. Sure "its coming", but its a sign.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    05-09-11 07:30 PM
    While I agree with all the points you make, this is the one I feel strongest about. I see nothing in OS 7 to make me want to commit to a new 2 year contract. I have heard nothing from RIM to suggest that this is anything but a stopgap until QNX becomes available, which would seem to require another upgrade.
    If my assumptions are correct, perhaps one way to deal with this would be to offer a 1 year contract for OS 7 and/or a reduced or free upgrade to QNX. Not real practical I know, but otherwise, I stay put.
    05-09-11 08:21 PM
    They have two major issues to address IMHO. The biggest is the generally poor selection of third party apps. The second is forcing the use of BIS or BES to access mail services. BES is great if you want to pay for it but BIS access to some email providers is not as good as accessing the same provider via Exchange Active Sync.
    I agree, forcing the user towards BES/BIS sucks. Especially if apps are not working that do not require BES/BIS.

In addition I think they should have jumped on the touchscreen-train a bit earlier. Almost everyone I know has a Touchscreen-Phone and they all seem to love it.
    Personally I like touchscreen s- but nothing ever get's as close to Awesome-ness than Blackberry's Keyboard. IMHO it beats all Touchscreens.
    05-10-11 02:13 AM
    Don't do anything to become like the two power houses? They are doing that just fine now.

What RIM needs to do come out with a very user friendly UI and make it enjoyable to use. The need to come out with phones that are powerful enough to skip the spinning clock syndrome. And they need to do it quickly. Android and Apple are the power houses for a reason. They are so big that RIM is resorting to offering business solution to Android and Apple. That's a good move. OS4, OS5, and OS6 all feel that same. QNX feels different, it feels like it flows, it feels new and refreshing. They need to come out with a QNX powered touch screen phone. They need to have an attractive platform to Development firms and individuals. We'll take Angry Birds as an example. They have a WebOS, WinMo, Android, Apple clients but no Blackberry. There has to be a reason a Powerhouse such as Rivio hasn't done anything. Sure "its coming", but its a sign.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]

I LOVE the RIM UI, and HATE the iOS App switcher UI, each Android UI I have different opinions of, but neither is as polar as BBOS and iOS,
    RIM just needs more power under the hood!
    05-10-11 02:41 AM
    Reading some of the respones here make me glad I am not so critical of a phone, smart or not....I mean wow! I am greatful for the knowledge I learn of a lot of you, but one thing I will never seem to grasp is how serious some of you guys/gals are....and yes I know your phone may run a business, or do this or do that...but as long as it does basic functions and has some bells and whistles then it should be fine. However for quite a few of ya, that is impossible and honestly don't think any type of phone will suffice. Maybe at first, but then something will irk you to another new/shiny phone...

On topic, I am perfectly content in where RIM is now and heading. My 9700 does everything I need it to do and does it well. Could it be faster or fancier looking? Sure, but it does the job fine and in the future I am sure RIM will get there.

Maybe some of ya should try out for the R&D department...heck I think some of ya think you could be the CEO, lol!

Just sayin'...again, so glad I am not critical like some...I don't even know how you could enjoy your phone.
    05-10-11 03:47 AM
    Opps, DP....
    Last edited by BoldtotheMax; 05-10-11 at 03:53 AM.
    05-10-11 03:48 AM

This. I couldn't care less how RIM is doing in the market place, as long as they continue doing what they do best. If I wanted big touch screens, tons of apps, and top of the line specs, I would have already gotten an Android or iPhone.
    05-10-11 04:59 AM
    I own a BB in a country where it's not officially sold and I think RIM should co-operate more with countries in which BBs are not sold officially. Sure, the market here won't be big for BB, but it'll grow after BB entering the market.
    05-10-11 05:40 AM
    Reading some of the respones here make me glad I am not so critical of a phone, smart or not....I mean wow! I am greatful for the knowledge I learn of a lot of you, but one thing I will never seem to grasp is how serious some of you guys/gals are....and yes I know your phone may run a business, or do this or do that...but as long as it does basic functions and has some bells and whistles then it should be fine. However for quite a few of ya, that is impossible and honestly don't think any type of phone will suffice. Maybe at first, but then something will irk you to another new/shiny phone...

On topic, I am perfectly content in where RIM is now and heading. My 9700 does everything I need it to do and does it well. Could it be faster or fancier looking? Sure, but it does the job fine and in the future I am sure RIM will get there.

Maybe some of ya should try out for the R&D department...heck I think some of ya think you could be the CEO, lol!

Just sayin'...again, so glad I am not critical like some...I don't even know how you could enjoy your phone.

You are correct, I'd never be happy, ALWAYS I will be looking to what could be improved and what would make my life easier, that is how innovation, and progress work.

Also what do you consider "basic functions" as I am sure, if you went back 10 years those would be mostly bells and whistles. "basic functions" evolve as a technology, or process evolve
    05-10-11 08:42 AM
  19. T
    If I wanted big ... screens, tons of apps, and top of the line specs, I would have already gotten an Android or iPhone.
    When I want that, I use my laptop.

05-10-11 08:50 AM
    I won't quote it because it's huge (sorry!) but dR's post is almost exactly what I would suggest to them.

One exception - a release every two months is really not feasible unless you separate and completely segregrate R&D efforts, which could result in fragmentation to equal what is happening to Android.
    05-10-11 11:37 AM
    In addition to my last post, I think RIM should make BlackBerries and Mac computers me more compatible, for example, the desktop manager seems to have a lot of problems for OS X.
    05-10-11 11:45 AM
    I won't quote it because it's huge (sorry!) but dR's post is almost exactly what I would suggest to them.

One exception - a release every two months is really not feasible unless you separate and completely segregrate R&D efforts, which could result in fragmentation to equal what is happening to Android.
    Ya I know it's huge

I believe that each product model line would have it's own R&D sub department under a umbrella of over all development, a New OS doesn't need to be shipped with every new device, the feature sets of the OS can be held for a period of 6 months, then releasing a upgrade. Hardware would stay pretty consistent for internals as RIM would stick to their bulk buying, and Device sales would be generated more on the best form factor for your needs, not each device out specing the previous,
    05-10-11 06:54 PM
    Wha RIM should do:
    1.) Accelerate QNX on phones especially the SDK have the SDK by Q4 of 2011 so when the QNX phones are out next year have tons of apps .
    WP7 came Q4 2010 and have thousands of apps more than BB os not to mention the iOS porting API which would make porting of apps from iOS to WP7 easy and when Nokia comes on board more devlopers - BB OS was there for years still no plenty of apps WP7 pulled thousands of apps in less than 9 months

2.) Make essentials apps available, Skype,Netflix,Hulu and so on..... for skype we need a FFC - using it via wifi of course
    3.) Add Active Sync support
    4.) Learn something called --> PR it helps a lot
    5.) Bring more phones to more carriers
    6.) Get rid of Flip phones
    7.) Refer to no 1 above add the support of QNX phones in the QNX SDK for Playbook
    8.) Up the hardwise specs, uh they have 1.2GHz so what iPhone 5 and most andrioid phones uses Dual core processors thats 1.2Ghz on both cores when QNX phones go dual core of 1.2Ghz andrioid phones would go to 2Ghz dual core
    05-10-11 07:03 PM
    First of all, RIM needs to get it's research team into gear. Look at the best parts of Android and iPhone. Utilise them. For me, the main strong point about iPhone is the apps, for Android the variety.

After this, RIM should look at bringing out different style form factors. however I believe "3 Curve Models on 36 Month Intervals giving 1 every year" (deRusset, 2011) is too many, given that each 'type' of Curve has a 3 year rotating cycle. I believe this should be reduced to 2 Curve models, on a 12 mth rotation. One new Curve each year.

It's nearly 2am and I am in MAJOR discomfort because of potential food poisoning. I will add to this later.
    05-10-11 08:48 PM
    RIM is doing a lot of things well. Here's a couple suggestions that could help them do better.

1. Focus on simpler advertisements. Use your advertisements to educate your current user base and inform your future customers. The learning curve on a BB is pretty steep for a newbie. Spend your marketing dollars on flattening that learning curve for them. Show them how to use a simple but powerful feature of BB in each 30-second segment, like real-time text filters in your address book.
    2. Improve the developer environment to more easily add graphical elements to apps. RIM is already working hard on this, but it seems they have yet to get it right. There's a lot of quality apps in App World, but graphically they look like Windows 95 programs.
    3. Open up the API to allow for VOIP apps (Skype, etc.).
    05-10-11 10:32 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD