after the install of the OS, this threaded sms is like having bbm i guess, you guys think i should get bbm too?
    02-17-10 06:57 PM
    SMS on Sprint and Verizon is still limited to 160 characters. On BBM, you can send over 1800 characters in one message. BBM is data and doesn't count against your SMS count (if you don't have unlimited). BBM supports more emoticons. BBM allows you to send files. BBM is only useful with other BlackBerry users.
    02-17-10 07:01 PM
    Personally, I really like it. IMO, it seems to work SO much faster than SMS.........
    02-17-10 07:02 PM
    I personally don't like the threaded sms but I love the bbm. Is it necessecary. Hells no its just cool and I like to know when my messages were delivered and received.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 07:04 PM
    SMS on Sprint and Verizon is still limited to 160 characters. On BBM, you can send over 1800 characters in one message. BBM is data and doesn't count against your SMS count (if you don't have unlimited). BBM supports more emoticons. BBM allows you to send files. BBM is only useful with other BlackBerry users.
    I can't believe I didn't even think of the character count! Very good point............I hate that with SMS.
    Other points are very true, as well.

02-17-10 07:04 PM
    wow, all valid points. i forgot about the character count. i'll get it bbm again to be cool
    02-17-10 07:08 PM
    And, although early in, you might think that BBM is superfluous, down the road it is a very handy tool to have. I've made plenty of friends, and I have family that uses it after I converted them to BlackBerry. It's fun getting others hooked.

02-17-10 07:08 PM
    i gotta general question for you guys. i've had my blackberry for like 5 months, and i feel like i'm not using it to it's full potential. i wonder what apps you guys recommend to fully utilize my crackberry. Also, can someone explain quick launcher for me lol
    02-17-10 07:10 PM
    wow, all valid points. i forgot about the character count. i'll get it bbm again to be cool
    Here's a link for that.

02-17-10 07:10 PM
    i gotta general question for you guys. i've had my blackberry for like 5 months, and i feel like i'm not using it to it's full potential. i wonder what apps you guys recommend to fully utilize my crackberry. Also, can someone explain quick launcher for me lol
    Quicklaunch is an app that allows you to designate shortcuts to launch certain functions. Such as you want to shortcut to SMS, or open CrackBerry, etc.

The more you look through these forums, the more you'll learn. Tips and Tricks forum can help with a lot of that.

02-17-10 07:13 PM
    thanks man
    02-17-10 07:15 PM
    Earlie posting here said BBM is only for other BB, not true, I've added and have read one of the benefits was that I can now load my SMS in here as well.
    02-17-10 07:36 PM
    I wish all my friends had BB's. We could use BBM and not have to SMS, and I could save $10 a month by not having a texting package.
    02-17-10 07:56 PM
    In addition to simply sending and receiving messages, BBM is also useful for sending files up to around 6mb in size. Videos, photos, documents, etc. As was mentioned, however, it's only a BB to BB service...

Edited to add:

Although your threaded SMS can appear in BBM when linked to contacts, don't mistake that with using BBM with non BB users. That simply organizes the SMS in with the other messages, and it is still only SMS in those situations and has the same limitations as SMS.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 02-17-10 at 08:29 PM.
    02-17-10 08:27 PM
    I love the BBM. Yahoo used to be my primary instant messenger, but now its really nothing compared to blackberry messenger. Gotta love the voice notes.
    02-17-10 08:46 PM
    i perfer BBM over all of the IM clients
    02-17-10 08:51 PM
    BBM is great for all the aforementioned reasons. The lack of a 140 character limit, the ability to send pics/files and hold conferences are all reasons why it has been such a hit in the media/communications world.
    02-17-10 11:28 PM
    I love the BBM. Yahoo used to be my primary instant messenger, but now its really nothing compared to blackberry messenger. Gotta love the voice notes.
    What is voice notes and how to use it ? I never try it before ..

02-18-10 10:00 AM
    bbm is awesome
    02-18-10 10:18 AM
    What is voice notes and how to use it ? I never try it before ..

After you click on a contact in bbm to start a new message, or when replying, hit menu key and select Send Voice Note. You can send a voice note through BBM. Yet another advantage vs regular SMS or IM.
    02-18-10 11:11 AM
    After you click on a contact in bbm to start a new message, or when replying, hit menu key and select Send Voice Note. You can send a voice note through BBM. Yet another advantage vs regular SMS or IM.
    aw cool. didn't know about that feature...never really noticed it was there. thx
    02-18-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD