I haven't used BBM hardly ever. I can shut it down and I know that it uses battery life running in the background all the time.

All of my BBM contacts are in my phone and we usually just text each other.

So will uninstalling this cause me any problems?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 07:59 AM
    Absolutely not! I always remove BlackBerry Messenger as I barely BBM and like you, do most conversations over plain old SMS. You might however face the issue where the BlackBerry won't allow you to remove BBM. To get around this, you must separately download BBM from http://www.blackberry.com/bbm (access through BlackBerry Browser). You must reboot your phone after installation, it will prompt for this (if not, continue to the next step). Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications. Depending on your OS version there might be an option to choose to display Third-Party / Add-on / Core apps. Choose "Add-on" apps and you should see BBM there. Highlight, press the menu button, delete. Reboot.
    09-25-10 08:09 AM
    BBM is probably the best thing in a BlackBerry! . . Not sure why you guys don't use it!!

However, uninstalling it will not cause any problems afterwards
    09-25-10 06:49 PM
    I think its a useless app myself it would be great if you could have integretion with other clients....but as it is you could only comunicate with other bb .......now dont get me wrong bb is a great device...keyboard....email.....and sms....but bbm is a joke..(just an opinion)
    09-25-10 07:10 PM
    I think that if you have your best friends and family on BBM like I do, you won't be using sms that often.

I, however, totally respect your opinion
    09-25-10 07:20 PM
    But if none of your best friends or family even use a BlackBerry, then it doesn't really matter, does it?

Once my wife switched to the iPhone from her Pearl, I decided to unload BBM to save memory space. Easy enough to do since it was the version that came with the OS, and simple to de-select it for removal in the DM. No problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 02:29 PM
    But if none of your best friends or family even use a BlackBerry, then it doesn't really matter, does it?

Once my wife switched to the iPhone from her Pearl, I decided to unload BBM to save memory space. Easy enough to do since it was the version that came with the OS, and simple to de-select it for removal in the DM. No problems.
    No, it doesn't
    09-27-10 03:03 PM
    I am AT&T Blackberry Bold 9000 on Operating System 5.0. I go into Desktop Manager to Delete my BB Messenger and find it greyed out with (required) beside it. Is there another way to delete it? Of unactivate it?
    Thanks
    12-13-10 05:16 PM
    Update to my previous post. I had only my husband on the BBM. Any texts from him were automatically going to BBM. When I removed him from my BBM contact list, his texts are now coming to my regular texts icon. This solves my problem and I won't need to uninstall the BBM app (unless space becomes an issue). So my issue is resolved.
    Thanks to you all!
    12-13-10 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD