Ive used both the iPhone 3GS and a good portion of RIM's Blackberry smartphones. Dont get me wrong I am a blackberry user.. but I do find myself missing my 3GS. Why? The speed the iPhone offers is amazing and there is no lag in the OS at all everything is smooth movement and the browser is un-real.

So my real question is... will RIM ever make a Blackberry that can compete with the iPhones speed? I know theyve teamed up with Torch to redo their browser for this summer.. but what about the rest of the aspects?
    Last edited by Klassek; 01-17-10 at 03:21 PM. Reason: MODS ARE EDITING MY THREADS INCORRECTLY!!
    01-16-10 07:45 PM
    I cant speak for the 3GS but my 9700 is much quicker than my 3G iPhone. I have played with a friends 3GS though and I would say other than the browser they are definitely comparable. And the browser will be getting a huge makeover this year sooo ya.

As far as opening, downloading, and switching apps (which the iphone cant even do yet) my 9700 is lightning.
    01-16-10 07:48 PM
    No. They tried and what they came up with is the Storm.

As for as the multitasking issue, jailbreak it and you have no issue.
    01-16-10 07:55 PM
    iPhone fast? Not when you have a huge amount of apps like most iPhone and iTouch users do. Especially after you jailbreak which also slows you down a little and add Cydia apps on top of official apps.
    01-16-10 08:13 PM
    iPhone fast? Not when you have a huge amount of apps like most iPhone and iTouch users do. Especially after you jailbreak which also slows you down a little and add Cydia apps on top of official apps.
    This has not been my expierience. I have 54 apps on my 8900 and the majority
    of those are on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS. It is as fast as it was out of the
    box with no 3rd party apps and un-jailbroken.
    01-16-10 08:21 PM
    I agree... the find the iphone starts to lag ONLY once its jailbroken (maybe thats why apple doesnt want it to be done? it causes glitches in the software)
    01-16-10 08:48 PM
    I did mention in my post jailbroken iPhones. Non jailbroken devices tend to run faster because most Cydia apps install more than just one app, they install multiple programs that run in the background such as OpenSSH for one example, slowing the jailbroken device down. Though, the amount of abilities you gain from jailbreaking are far greater than the decrease in speed.

And they don't want people to jailbreak or hack like most companies. For example, Sony don't want people hacking their PSPs because it opens up the ability to pirate their games. Same case for iPhone and touch users. Once you jailbreak, you're able to illegally acquire apps, games, or whatever it is.
    01-16-10 09:51 PM
    Not while they're still using Java.

As for as the multitasking issue, jailbreak it and you have no issue.
    Except that there isn't enough memory for running multiple apps to be practical.

Not when you have a huge amount of apps like most iPhone and iTouch users do.
    Considering that background processes aren't allowed, the number of apps is completely irrelevant to the speed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 10:23 PM
    My 8900 is way faster than my 3G was. With my 3G I would open an app and wait for a few seconds until it was loaded and responsive. My 8900 loads things instantly, and is much much more responsive. Granted, my 3G was jailbroken with quite a few hacks, but those were only to give it the functionality that BlackBerries have natively.
    01-17-10 07:45 AM
    I surely don't see some big speed difference....
    Looking at your current phone list makes me wonder.
    I have a Curve 8530 and its as fast as my friend's 3GS and my wife's 3G......
    01-17-10 10:01 AM
    I think people are confusing browser with OS.

I hope RIM come up with a mind blowing browser this year, as for OS I don't currently see much advantage in the iphone, my bold is pretty slick and I've probably seen the egg timer twice in the time I've had it.

01-17-10 11:21 AM
    Very inaccurate. My 3GS is jailbroken and I'm at least over 50 applications.
    Games, productivity, etc. I can't say that I've ever experienced a lag. And
    I'm a heavy user especially since the iPhone has been my primary phone for
    3 months now.

On the Cydia side of things, I really use Rock now. I use it for programs that
    expand the limits of what Apple gives us. Like multi-tasking (Backrounder and
    Pro-Switcher).

Most lag comes from people who install all kinds of themes on their iPhones.
    Which is such the case for Blackberry's as well.
    01-17-10 12:52 PM
    Except that there isn't enough memory for running multiple apps to be practical.
    This is tantamount to saying that Weinerschniztel doesn't have enough hot dogs.

My iPhone multi-tasks 3rd party apps just fine.
    01-17-10 01:03 PM
    first off what mod renamed my ******** thread? second off WHY DID YOU MOVE IT! Im getting sick and effin tired of certain mods editing my threads to something they are not and moving them to where ever they feel....

MY THREAD AS STATED AT FIRST IS ABOUT A PHONE IN GENERAL NOT THE BROWSER!!!!!!! IT SAYS THAT IN MY OP SO WHY DID YOU CHANGE MY FREAKING THREAD TITLE!!!!!

if I this site continues to grow with stupid mods that dont know what theyre doing its seriously gonna start losing members....
    01-17-10 03:19 PM
    first off what mod renamed my ******** thread? second off WHY DID YOU MOVE IT! Im getting sick and effin tired of certain mods editing my threads to something they are not and moving them to where ever they feel....

MY THREAD AS STATED AT FIRST IS ABOUT A PHONE IN GENERAL NOT THE BROWSER!!!!!!! IT SAYS THAT IN MY OP SO WHY DID YOU CHANGE MY FREAKING THREAD TITLE!!!!!

if I this site continues to grow with stupid mods that dont know what theyre doing its seriously gonna start losing members....
    Looking for ban I see.
    01-17-10 04:35 PM
    This is tantamount to saying that Weinerschniztel doesn't have enough hot dogs.

My iPhone multi-tasks 3rd party apps just fine.
    The iPhone 3G has about 30MB of RAM free for third party apps. Every third party app was designed under the assumption that all of that memory is theirs. The iPhone also has no swap. So if you run more than a few trivial apps simultaneously you'll just get an OOM and one will be killed.

01-17-10 05:22 PM
    Looking for ban I see.
    no Im just getting sick of mods editing things before they actually read the thread...
    01-17-10 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD