I am leaving for punta cana on thursday and was wondering if blackberry messenger will work in punta cana. I called my provider and they said it was free of charge, but have a hard time beleiving them. Any input would be appreciated
    12-07-09 12:13 PM
    Only if you can get on a 3G/1XEV(data) connection there.
    As long as you can get a data connection, you can use BBM free of charge anywhere.

=]
    Dm
    12-07-09 12:26 PM
    You should double check with your carrier to make sure that your current data plan covers YOU while you are roaming in an international area. It most likely does not. And international roaming charges can be quite expensive.

While it is true that you can BBM anyone across the world via BBM at no additional charge while you are in areas covered by your current data plan, this does NOT give you free data roaming when you are outside your coverage area(s).

Not that the OP has the 8320 listed which is a GSM device. Neither 3G nor 1XEV will show up on that device.
    12-07-09 12:36 PM
    I am going to Punta Cana next week - just got off the phone with Verizon. I have a BB Tour and it will work there, with no problems. It is a $1.99/minute roaming fee for all calls. Text messages are .50 apiece to send, .25 to receive. I asked about an unlimited data plan for only the 5 days I would be there and was offered a $64/month plan that they pro-rate for the number of days you need it. Ended up being about $10 in my case. So I set it up. That said, I can use bbm, IM, my apps, browse the internet as needed. I'll just try to stay away from making any calls. OH, and lastly, all I needed to do was call *228 when I got off the phone to update the roaming and I was set.
    04-25-10 08:42 PM
    Damn...well safe trip man.
    04-25-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD