Hey so i got the 8900 awhile ago and i love it. but the other day my friend got the Bold 2 and his txting was just like how Blackberry messager is set up with old messages going upward and having the whole txt log there.Will bb upgrade the txting on the 8900 to that? or is there another way for me to get that. thanks
    03-03-10 06:49 PM
    That's an OS 5 feature, so if you upgrade you OS- you will have the threaded messaging.
    03-03-10 06:52 PM
    i connected my 8900 to desktop manager and there was no upgrade...
    03-03-10 06:54 PM
    Download it from the top Sticky and upgrade. OS 5.0!!
    03-03-10 06:57 PM
    If your carrier hasn't released it for you to do an over the air update -then look at the first post of this forum for the latest OS and instructions.Or, wait until your carrier releases their approved OS 5 version, like most folks do.
    03-03-10 06:57 PM
    is there a way to find out when my carrier could approve it? i'm with Roger Wireless
    03-03-10 07:03 PM
    yeh unfortunately as the 8900 came out a year or so ago the OS(operating system) is a bit dated compared to the newer models.

a recent OS has just been released for the 8900 which will give your phone all the lovely things your mates phone has probably a little more!!

go to the crackberry homepage and its the latest blog posted i think!
    03-03-10 07:10 PM
    We're Sorry...

Sorry, the file is temporarily unavailable, please try again later or contact the webmaster.

Thats what happened when i tried to download it
    03-03-10 07:23 PM
    We're Sorry...

Sorry, the file is temporarily unavailable, please try again later or contact the webmaster.

Thats what happened when i tried to download it
    yeh a few 8900 users are having this problem with the latest OS!!

im running version .411(which i think is a couple of updates old!), it still has the threaded sms!!

i would the link but because im a newbie to the site im not allowed

if you type in the search bar "8900 OS update" or something along then lines you will find a newer version.
    03-03-10 07:33 PM
    I just messaged my carrier (Rogers) when there going to release the 5.0 OS
    03-03-10 07:46 PM
    I'm with rogers also and I emailed them a while back and they just kept telling me that they're working hard to give me the most up-to-date service and feature possible blah blah blah.

I ended up just installing the 5.0 OS by myself, going through the whole process of deleting the vendor file and wiping my device. I'm so glad I did. Makes me feel good knowing that only I and a few others have the 5.0 on a rogers phone lol.
    03-03-10 10:10 PM
    Don't wait for them to release an official update, once they release it there will be likely more updates that will be released.

it is as simple as find an OS from another carrier and downloading to your pc. as soon as you download it, you need to install the OS onto your PC. Once that is done go to C:/Program Files/Common files/Research In Motion/Loader
    and then delete the vendor file.

as soon as you have done all that double click loader in that same folder and follow the directions. This will ask you to update your OS and will go through the process and will take anywhere from 20-60 mins.

hope this helps.
    03-04-10 12:13 AM
    To get SMS texting (to make it look like bbm) you can actually add the contacts you text most to your bbm list (if you have the latest version of BBM).

Inside of bbm just go to contacts > +invite contact > enter an sms contact's name or phone number

and then when you text those people it will show in your bbm list and therefore look like your bbm messages.

...or you could just upgrade your OS
    03-04-10 03:25 PM
    Grab the upgrade. I just went to 5.0.0.461 on Monday and will NEVER go back to 4.6.
    03-04-10 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD