Hi,

I have four email accounts set up on my BIS connection on my Bold 9900. However, I seem to be using too much data a month. I have the allowance of 500mb, however I seem to use nearly all of this each month - despite when I am at home I use Wifi.
    I have no idea why this is, I don't think I have any data hungry apps on my phone but Vodafone said it's all about email.

Can I set up that my three additional accounts don't always push. But will only connect when the phone is on Wifi? If this can be done, how would I do this?

I appreciate all help and advice, thank you! I love my Bold 9900!
    01-17-12 05:52 AM
    You cannot do that. (Note that email uses very little data regardless.)

However, when you are connected to WiFi, the device should use that by default.

What else are you doing on the device that could be using so much data? Think about ALL the apps that you have installed. Using 500 mb a month is a lot unless you are streaming.
    01-17-12 07:00 AM
    The data used by the blackberry is compressed compared to androids or iphones, I'm not sure exactly what the ratio is, I've heard around 50 %. Your emails are only downloading the headers so there must be something else your doing to use that amount of data.

I have 5 phones with 2 Gb of usage allowed on a family plan and my kids are heavy users and we rarely go over 1 Gb. I have 2 BB's, 2 iphones and some other piece of crap nokia.
    01-17-12 07:41 AM
    Make sure the Blackberry symbol is beside the wifi symbol to ensure your BIS is going through wifi. You may just have router connectivity problems and everything is going through cellular.

Your mail would only be using a lot a data if you had a lot of large attachments. You should look into your apps, such as music or radio streaming services.
    01-17-12 07:52 AM
    The email would only be "using a lot of data if you had a lot of large attachments" if the user actually downloaded those attachments. And even still with the email attachment size limit, it would take a whole lot of downloading attachments to reach 500 mb.
    01-17-12 12:25 PM
    Yes I now have the BlackBerry logo when I use the Wifi. However, I use my 9900 on 2G as I find I can't get enough out of the battery to last me from 9am-4pm on 3G. However, on 2G I do not see the BlackBerry logo?

I seem to use a very large amount of data and I don't understand why. I don't stream music, I don't watch videos. I don't do that much browsing unless on Wifi. I am not sure how with apparent data compression, I can use so much data!
    01-17-12 02:51 PM
    This is a great app to help monitor your data usage. It's split up into home, roaming, and wifi. You can set daily and monthly thresholds and have the system warn you when you've reached them.

e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter
    01-17-12 02:56 PM
    I would use that app but it is unavailable for my device. I don't know why in 2 days I have used 9mb of data. I don't see wh am doing that is using so much data. Do BBM and Whatsapp really use that much?!
    01-18-12 05:46 AM
    ^Did you try the version for OS 4.7+? It works for me...
    01-18-12 09:11 AM
    I will try that again later. I looked on app world and it was listed as unavailable for my device.
    01-18-12 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD