09-17-10 09:02 PM
27 12
tools
    Hey folks,

couldn't decide if this belongs here or in the 3rd party apps area - so I'll try here first. Mods, feel free to move if you feel it's appropriate.

My wife is planning on getting a new iPhone to replace her BB Pearl. As we both have pearls right now we use BBM extensively, and therefore have limited texting plans (200/month).

What I'd like to do is replace BBM with another IM app, rather than having to go to an unlimited text plan. From my limited research, it appears that the iPhone AIM app, as well as BeeJive, are the only IM apps on iPhone that offer push notification and therefore don't have to be left running in the browser. I don't have any iPhone experience, but I suspect leaving an IM app running in the browser would wreak havoc on battery life. Perhaps some people that are familiar with iPhone could chime in on this.

At any rate, this means that I will now have to run an IM app in the background on my Blackberry. Right now I have palringo installed, but only rarely run it for occasional facebook chat. I tried leaving it on yesterday and it appered to more than double my battery drain, so I don't think that will work for me. I was wondering how the native BB AIM client is on battery life, and/or how BeeJive compares. Or if anyone is aware of other comparable multi-IM clients that are battery friendly. I don't need a ton of features or particularly care about a polished interface. as long as it will alert me when I have a new message i'm good.

Thanks in advance!

Mainiak
    09-09-09 10:07 AM
    I just left my iPhone 3GS for my BB Tour. Be sure your wife has had some experience with the iPhone 3GS, the battery life is HORRIBLE. On light to moderate use the iPhone was below 30-40% by 2-3pm. And, I turn EVERYTHING OFF when I don't use it.

If you have any program open on the iPhone the battery will only last maybe three hours.

I strongly suggest this: Have your wife buy the iPhone and test it out for a week. Keep the phone in very good shape. If she's okay with the battery life then keep it, else you can return it. Texting isn't cheap as you know
    09-09-09 10:21 AM
    IM+ is one of the best I've ever used. Here's some features:

Most IM protocols supported including Twitter and Facebook.

Push mode. Don't want it open and draining the battery? Switch to push mode and it closes out. Their servers will send you an email containing the IM someone sends you. You can even reply through email.

No need to type (much). Just hold town the phone button and dictate, it will translate and write the sentences for you.

And a whole pile of other things.

What makes me think this is right for you is push mode, using it to stay in touch with your wife means you don't need it running constantly and can reply over email as you need. It works great for me.
    09-09-09 10:21 AM
    ^ yeah IM+ is great I've used it on multiple platforms and it is impressive
    09-09-09 10:27 AM
    If your both on the same carrier, at&t specifically, then M2M texting is free and doesn't count against your 200/month limit.
    09-09-09 11:23 AM
    What will she have access to on the iPhone that can be running 24/7? (I though the iPhone was not capable of running more than one third party app at a time.) What iPhone native IM apps are there?
    09-09-09 11:27 AM
    What will she have access to on the iPhone that can be running 24/7? (I though the iPhone was not capable of running more than one third party app at a time.) What iPhone native IM apps are there?
    Not sure about native, but the IM+ is perfect as it does not even run when it is in push mode. No running means no battery drain from the app period.
    09-09-09 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the input here folks, much appreciated.

It sounds like IM+ may be the way for me to go on the blackberry side - I will definitely be checking that out. Anyone know of any other IM clients for BB that have a push mode as IM+ does?

Also, as far as M2M free texting - can anyone else verify this? Both my wife and I are on AT&T on a family share plan. This would certainly resolve the situation easily, but I have never heard of this before.

Mainiak
    09-09-09 01:39 PM
    Thanks for the input here folks, much appreciated.

It sounds like IM+ may be the way for me to go on the blackberry side - I will definitely be checking that out. Anyone know of any other IM clients for BB that have a push mode as IM+ does?

Also, as far as M2M free texting - can anyone else verify this? Both my wife and I are on AT&T on a family share plan. This would certainly resolve the situation easily, but I have never heard of this before.

Mainiak
    Reading through this thread, I was going to ask the same question. Can anyone verify that M2M texting on AT&T is free? This would save me a ton as well since i also use the 200 text plan since i dont use it much but dont feel like paying for everyone i receive or send out. Also i did a search on Crackberry for IM+ and i came up with Nada, Zipo result. Can someone post a link to that app.

Thanks
    09-09-09 02:13 PM
    You could always divorce her and find a woman who uses Blackberry. Just a thought.
    09-09-09 03:14 PM
    You could always divorce her and find a woman who uses Blackberry. Just a thought.
    LOL +1

I would suggest calling at&t and asking about the m2m texting.
    09-09-09 03:21 PM
    Reading through this thread, I was going to ask the same question. Can anyone verify that M2M texting on AT&T is free? This would save me a ton as well since i also use the 200 text plan since i dont use it much but dont feel like paying for everyone i receive or send out. Also i did a search on Crackberry for IM+ and i came up with Nada, Zipo result. Can someone post a link to that app.

Thanks
    IM+ All-in-One Messenger, IM+ for Skype for iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android, Palm

You can always Google IM+ as well.

Oh, and from what I understand it is also push enabled in the iPhone.
    09-09-09 03:37 PM
    AT&T M2M texting is not free and counts against your limit as any other text.
    09-09-09 05:08 PM
    I was checking the IM+ app, free trial for 7 days but $40 after the trial. That's an expensive app. LOL Sheesh! I'll stick to my AIM, Yahoo!, and Windows Live Messanger apps that already on my BB.
    09-09-09 05:21 PM
    Considering the features it has over the native applications I am more than willing to pay the $$. But that's just me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 05:27 PM
    LOL - while this is an option, I suspect child support would cost me more than unlimited texting every month!

I hadn't had a chance to check out IM+ yet, but $40 is way more than I want to pay for an IM app - I'll be trying all the free options before I go that route. Interestingly, my wife came across IM+ in the app store quite quickly, and it does indeed do push on the iPhone, and is $10 for said device.

I did check with AT&T regarding the M2M texting and was told it does count against my 200/month.

I'll be continuing to look for other options - keep the info and opinions coming!

Thanks,

Mainiak
    09-09-09 07:55 PM
    this is one of the few dealbreakers when it comes to iphones
    09-09-09 08:14 PM
    take notes people
    09-09-09 08:15 PM
    I use the Google Talk app EXTENSIVELY on my Bold. 24/7/365. It doesn't affect battery life nearly as much as the 3rd party apps. Tried AIM - and it also was good - but we use Google Talk around our office. RIM's implementation of these apps takes advantage of push technology in the background, I suspect.
    09-09-09 08:17 PM
    i had beejive in my bold, and it used to drain my battery like crazy, now i removed it and running yahoo messenger and gtalk app separately but still battery life much much better... may be its same in case of iphone too..
    09-09-09 10:13 PM
    LOL +1

I would suggest calling at&t and asking about the m2m texting.
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 11:03 PM
    LOL - while this is an option, I suspect child support would cost me more than unlimited texting every month!

I hadn't had a chance to check out IM+ yet, but $40 is way more than I want to pay for an IM app - I'll be trying all the free options before I go that route. Interestingly, my wife came across IM+ in the app store quite quickly, and it does indeed do push on the iPhone, and is $10 for said device.

I did check with AT&T regarding the M2M texting and was told it does count against my 200/month.

I'll be continuing to look for other options - keep the info and opinions coming!

Thanks,

Mainiak
    not sure if it was a special one time offer but i definitely have on my plan have 200/month texting with unlimited M2M texing. I believe it is another $4.99 on top of the $4.99/month for the 200. I would try calling again inquire specifically about this. i know for me i save so much money because most of the people i talk to are on at&t.
    09-09-09 11:29 PM
    1. I'm 99% sure texting between ATT users is not free. When I had ATT along with my family I still required an unlimited plan.

2. The reason the iPhone's battery doesn't last long is because of a few things: A) The screen alone takes a lot of power, even at low bright setting B) The apps take a lot of power to run even for a short while.

Again, I just ported my number over to my new Tour two days ago after three months on the iPhone 3GS...I tried to conserve the battery as much as I could. The only thing you can do to conserve the battery is to not use the iPhone, which of course doesn't make sense. If I used my iPhone for 10 minutes an hour by 2-3pm I was down to 30-40% battery life.
    09-09-09 11:41 PM
    Thanks for the continued great input guys -

Here's my approach at the moment - I'm going to try starting with gtalk. Both my wife and I already have google accounts, and I can get the app for free. I'll see how my battery life does with it. I can handle some reduction, just not what I got with palringo. Sounds like the native gtalk app is much better.

Will have my wife get either IM+ or BeeJive for the iPhone (both are 10 I think - can't tell for sure since I can't get on the app store from my ubuntu netbook) which both supposedly provide push im notification. As far as i can find, there is no gtalk app for iphone, it just runs in the browser.

I'm still very open to other options, so if someone else has an idea I'm game.

thanks,

Mainiak
    09-10-09 07:06 AM
    Just a quick follow up -

Running BB GTalk app all day today - it does run in the background rather than receive push notifications when closed, but I didn't see a major difference in battery drain from normal. Probably an extra 10% usage over the course of 12 hours or so, which I can definitely live with.

Wife ran eBuddy on the iPhone - it accepts push messages after being closed, but only for 30 minutes, at which time it signs out. I can tell this happens as my gtalk app indicates she is signed off. I would then just have to email or sms her to begin a conversation. Gonna live with this until she decides for sure that she's gonna keep the iPhone. As was mentioned earlier, she has some concerns with battery life. today with light to moderate use, down to 40% battery after 10.5 hours. she was in an area with weak signal strength for 2/3 of that time, had wifi on the whole time, and location on the whole time. 3G was turned off. Brighness down to about 1/4. This doesn't seem too terrible, but not fantastic. will probably switch to beejive if she's gonna keep the iPhone

thanks for the input folks,

Mainiak
    09-10-09 05:41 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD