Got this BBM 6 broadcast message:

Hello it is the blackberry messenger team we have contacted you to say that you need to broadcast this message to be able to get the new bbm, which includes your choice of writing, your colours, you can even pick themes for you blackberry. Just broadcast this and go on to homescreen and press B. Thank you.

Any one aware of this?
    07-29-11 01:13 PM
    Looks bogus. I don't see the BBM team not knowing how to capitalize.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 01:24 PM
    No. BBM broadcasts are almost exclusively garbage and/or scam spam.

However, if you post your e-mail address, I'll forward you an e-mail so you can get your share of Bill Gates' fortune! You see, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-mail beta test. When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period. For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $5.00, for every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $3.00 and for every third person that receives it, you will be paid $1.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check. I thought this was a scam myself, but two weeks after receiving this e-mail and forwarding it on, Microsoft contacted me for my e-mail and within days, I received a check for $800.00.*

*Complete and utter rubbish, poppycock, and balderdash. Not even remotely true, don't even think about it.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 07-29-11 at 01:58 PM.
    07-29-11 01:55 PM
    def. fake! ppl who broadcast this nonesense usually get deleted instantly lol
    07-30-11 12:56 PM
    +1 agree

10 char

07-30-11 01:11 PM
    BOGUS!!! I never forwarded any of these messages and it's annoying to get them. Have not experienced any problems with NOT forwarding these broadcasts too...
    07-30-11 01:25 PM
    I think the second message ever sent by The Telegraph was spam....

Spam will always find a way onto all communication systems. As well as, in your case, a really rubbish chain letter.

The "AOL\Microsoft" email experiment quoted above is so old I remember seeing it in the 1990s!! And it is still being passed around the planet between mugs. (Funny to see how the cash values are being increased with inflation )

First time I saw a 419 scam letter it was hand written and addressed to the director (1980s...) that then moved to the fax machine... and onwards. I noticed that Google+ has already been flooded with that same 419 scam.

Big hint - if it looks like it is something for nothing and it has lots of typing errors in it then it is a scam.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-11 01:59 PM
    One thing I don't understand is, what do people get by broadcasting these types of messages?

If it's the Saudi Arabia Prince scam, I could understand. But BBM? I just can't wrap my mind around it...
    07-30-11 02:26 PM
    One thing I don't understand is, what do people get by broadcasting these types of messages?
    They do it out of a mistaken idea of "fun". The OP's message has no way of making a financial gain, just the "fun" of knowing that your viral chain letter is multiplying around the planet at speed. So the creator can say "I made that" and act smug.

It is amazing to think that some of these chain letters go on for ever. That AOL\MS email example above I last saw two years ago. Which meant well over ten years of being forwarded!!

Personally I use these kinds of emails as id10t tests. The OP has managed to pass the test as he could see that something was not quite right. Many suckers just pass them on...

When I sit on some of my client's PCs, I am stunned by the junk some people forward. And they always forward to all addresses in their address book. Total mugs. They normally stand out on a PC as they use Incredimail...
    Last edited by Batter Pudding; 07-30-11 at 03:16 PM.
    07-30-11 03:04 PM
    Maybe it just goes to show also that some people have too much time on their hands...
    07-31-11 10:21 AM
    No.
    Some people just have way too much time.
    07-31-11 10:56 AM
    They harvest email addresses and sell them to spammers. It's phishing.

07-31-11 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD