03-03-11 06:03 PM
47 12
tools
    i dont miss BBM at all either, and with many peoples BBM list shrinking, i think many people would agree there are other methods that work just as well
    02-03-11 08:47 PM
    BBM is awesome, it's the PIN and RIMs servers that make it so.

If you put it on other platforms I don't see it working any different than any other IM that logs off and has connection issues.....

On android I have found google talk to work just as well for straight IM, but I miss the groups features, the ability to send files and such, and the ability to know if your message was read or not.

Trying to put BBM on other platforms basically breaks some of what makes BBM great. I guess you would have other platforms log in and log out with a PIN that gives them access to RIM's servers.....but it wouldn't make it any easier to IM those people because they will be logging off all the time.

BBM with the wife and having our group was incredibly useful and a major thing I miss about blackberry.

Now we google talk and have cloud list....but it's a weak and less functional substitute. We tried PINchat too, but that really stunk with massive constant connection issues and bugs.

I mean you could have an IM with all the features of BBM (hopefully Kik will do this), but if people are logging off and have to remeber to log on and there are connection issues.....it's just not the same.....I would still love if there was an IM app that had all the BBM features.....I don't see why it's so hard....
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 02-03-11 at 09:38 PM.
    02-03-11 09:20 PM
    I will add this, if it matters. They should possibly make a BBM lite for cross platform (call it what you like) but that would be a value to actual BBM'ers, so they can communicate with more people. But also if someone comes up with an App that acts like BBM I will switch and never turn back because I will have more people to communicate with. I love BBM and BlackBerry, but BBM is limited especially when some many people are on other OS...
    02-03-11 09:26 PM
    how much money would you be willing to pay for BBM access on another device?

the only way to make BBM viable on another device for RIM would be to sell it as an App, and make a second tier BBM that uses a user account with a randomly assigned "PIN" but how much would an iPhone user or Android user pay to use BBM? $8, $10, $15 as RIM clearly needs to make enough to off set the loss of selling BIS subscriptions to Carriers, and Hardware to Carriers.
    They're already losing sales of BIS subscriptions and hardware to carriers. Any income they can get from sales of BBM to non BB users would seem to help. Unless they're scared that BBM is truly the only thing holding the majority of their users to BB devices.

Personally, I don't think i'd pay a dime for BBM on my Android, because there are plenty of suitable alternatives out there.

Yahoo for example allows for much larger file transfers than BBM does. I believe BBM's current limit is around 6mb. With yahoo, over the 3g network in an android to android transfer, I was able to receive a 114mb file.
    02-03-11 10:13 PM
    Personally, I don't think i'd pay a dime for BBM on my Android, because there are plenty of suitable alternatives out there.
    Same here, I wouldn't shell out any money for it.

BBM is one of the loose bandages thats keeping the Blackberry platform remotely viable to it's users.
    02-03-11 11:59 PM
    I don't think RIM will ever let others use it. I love BBM and keep my Berry for it. I would rather have a droid but stay with RIM for the BBM.
    02-04-11 06:43 AM
    I don't think RIM will ever let others use it. I love BBM and keep my Berry for it. I would rather have a droid but stay with RIM for the BBM.
    Unbelievable but not surprising.
    02-04-11 08:24 AM
    I dont think this will happen....this one of the things that are keeping people with #TeamBlackBerry and there have been people who have tried to make apps like BBM for iphone/android/bb but they have not succeeded (i.e. cnectd, kik, etc.)
    02-04-11 08:42 AM
    They're already losing sales of BIS subscriptions and hardware to carriers. Any income they can get from sales of BBM to non BB users would seem to help. Unless they're scared that BBM is truly the only thing holding the majority of their users to BB devices.

Yahoo for example allows for much larger file transfers than BBM does. I believe BBM's current limit is around 6mb. With yahoo, over the 3g network in an android to android transfer, I was able to receive a 114mb file.
    The income that BBM MIGHT Bring in could not make up for the cost of having to maintain a network for NON BIS subscribers, and the chance of lost hardware sales.

Unbelievable but not surprising.
    Hardly unbelievable, phones are meant for communication, and if everyone in ones circle of family/friends uses one means of communication, losing that means would be detrimental to your ability to be included.

I have MSN because of that shift as people moved from ICQ, many Americans have AIM as a result of America Online, if they ever used America online or not, they have the accounts because that is what their friends/family use.

BBM is a very believable, and very reasonable reason to keep using a Blackberry.
    your distaste for things blackberry, is apparent.
    02-04-11 10:00 AM
    what a completely stupid thread why should they open it up for all if you want bbm buy a blackberry
    02-04-11 10:43 AM
    For me it is the groups in BBM that makes it a big point with me. I have yet to run across other IM chats that have done that as of yet.

I use my group chats more than the 40 contacts I have actually.

That and everything is streamlined into the OS so well. It works well...and in the 5 years off and on with BB's I have yet to notice a BIS outage...**** even the latest one, which was huge didn't effect me...*knock on wood!* lol!

By the way, I use G-talk(some) and Yahoo messenger, which I use quite a bit and resembles BBM, but no groups and just isn't laid out as nice...not to mention it always logs me out in mid convo...

I haven't used these other ones like ping-chat and what not, so can't comment on those...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 07:52 AM
    my understanding is that BBM doesn't use your typical protocol it uses its own for "security" reasons. We had a blackout not to long ago the only thing that worked was my BBM. I believe this is one of the reasons why corporations and governments use them.
    02-05-11 10:50 AM
    Maybe call it UPM?

Universal Platform Messenger. No need for just blackberries. Devs just need to make it, then publish it. Should work on:

BBOS
    WebOS
    Palm OS
    Symbian/maego*
    Windows CE/Mobile
    Android
    QNX
    Other phone company firmware, open source or proprietary, based on Unix/Linux or DOS (with a GUI, yes, some DO still use it).

*if I spelled it wrong, feel free to correct in your quoted response.

what about Maemo and Meego? I run a Nokia N900 but my mother and brother now run Blackberries. How about RIm offering Lgpl'd toolkits? !et thge client be open source?

02-09-11 01:09 AM
    For me it is the groups in BBM that makes it a big point with me. I have yet to run across other IM chats that have done that as of yet.

I use my group chats more than the 40 contacts I have actually.
    So do I.

That and everything is streamlined into the OS so well. It works well...and in the 5 years off and on with BB's I have yet to notice a BIS outage...**** even the latest one, which was huge didn't effect me...*knock on wood!* lol!

By the way, I use G-talk(some) and Yahoo messenger, which I use quite a bit and resembles BBM, but no groups and just isn't laid out as nice...not to mention it always logs me out in mid convo...

I haven't used these other ones like ping-chat and what not, so can't comment on those...

Ping Chat was gone after a couple days, since it was so clunky and unintuitive.

I use Gtalk and Yahoo to chat with friends with Android and iPhone.
    02-09-11 01:14 AM
    I don't know if i would want everyone to have access to it without owning a bb
    02-10-11 10:40 PM
    what about Maemo and Meego? I run a Nokia N900 but my mother and brother now run Blackberries. How about RIm offering Lgpl'd toolkits? !et thge client be open source?

Time to get a BlackBerry dude. Whoa.
    02-10-11 10:56 PM
    I think the difference is with BBM its always-on. No need to remember to restart AIM or Gtalk. And those IMs always log off after a few days.
    No, it's not a difference.

GTalk may suck on a Blackberry, but on an Android phone it's always on. I am expecting Microsoft to deliver a Windows Live Client with Facebook Chat integration for Windows Phone 7 soon. Windows Live already interops with Yahoo! and on the desktop it interops with Facebook Chat as well.

Once this type of functionality starts proliferating, the need for BBM will go down, because it's less efficient to use two IM applications to chat with FB/MSN/Whatever and BBM contacts than use one integrated Push-enabled chat client to talk to everyone. That is why there is a market for third-party IM clients like Beejive and Trillian.

Most people, at least in developed or fairly developed countries, are likely to have every BBM contact on Facebook (or some other Social Network, like LinkedIn - which has an Official Android Client, now) anyways. With current solutions, you're forced to run multiple applications to keep in touch with people. That's fairly clunky. Once major IM networks starts interoperating with Social networks (like Microsoft is with Facebook) the need for BBM will go down - for consumers, only facebook integration is needed. MSN-Y! Interoperability already negates the need to keep both a Windows Live and Yahoo Login, so you really only need Windows Live to chat with MSN, Yahoo, and Facebook friends...

Even when I trialed a Bold 9780 I almost brought Trillian because without a decent Facebook chat client (something built into the Official Apps on Android and iOS) a phone is virtually useless to me for personal communication. My phone book is almost empty without my Facebook account paired with it, for example (I'm not one of those people who add any and everyone to my Facebook friends, list, actual friends are on there...).

I use like ~100 phone minutes a month, and like 1,000 SMS and maybe 5000 Instant Messages (Voice to Text works wonders for that :P ). Even the need for email is pretty low for me these days due to how many people are on Social and Instant Messaging Networks (obviously work is a different story, but I'm looking at it from a consumer point of view, not a corporate point of view).
    Last edited by N8ter; 02-11-11 at 04:02 AM.
    Jashley73 and howarmat like this.
    02-11-11 03:54 AM
    IMing works great. However a majority of the people I know and interact with don't go on MSN or Gtalk or AIM anymore. In my case everyone I know has migrated from Chat clients to Texting/BBMing as a medium for instant interaction. I for one cannot even remember the last time I opened up an actual IM client with the exception of Facebook chat because I was logged onto Facebook.

Reality is that BBM is wrapped tightly and neatly into the package that is Blackberry. Everything is seamless, clean and just plain works. With an IM client yeah i can talk with people relatively the same less a few functions of BBM but I would need all of my contacts to be on those IM Clients as well. How easy is it to convince your entire contact list to use MSN or GTalk or Yahoo Messenger so that you can contact them? Not likely. With mobile phones you are guaranteed to be able to send a message to your contact via Text or BBM.
    02-16-11 11:46 AM
  19. T
    IMing works great. However a majority of the people I know and interact with don't go on MSN or Gtalk or AIM anymore. In my case everyone I know has migrated from Chat clients to Texting/BBMing as a medium for instant interaction. I for one cannot even remember the last time I opened up an actual IM client with the exception of Facebook chat because I was logged onto Facebook.

Reality is that BBM is wrapped tightly and neatly into the package that is Blackberry. Everything is seamless, clean and just plain works. With an IM client yeah i can talk with people relatively the same less a few functions of BBM but I would need all of my contacts to be on those IM Clients as well. How easy is it to convince your entire contact list to use MSN or GTalk or Yahoo Messenger so that you can contact them? Not likely. With mobile phones you are guaranteed to be able to send a message to your contact via Text or BBM.
    These are good points, and I have no doubt Bbm is more stable/reliable. But the part about convincing your contacts to go to one client is not so applicable (to me). I just leave all im clients open on my Bb all the time.

02-16-11 11:50 AM
    These are good points, and I have no doubt Bbm is more stable/reliable. But the part about convincing your contacts to go to one client is not so applicable (to me). I just leave all im clients open on my Bb all the time.

Exactly, it's not an end all solution. For me, a fraction of my contacts are on IM if any at all. I'd say about 90% of my contacts are Blackberry contacts. The rest I just text. My personal benefit with BBM is that the people I need to contact 99% of the time are Blackberry users currently and with my frequent travels across the border, BBM costs me about 1-2 pennies a message in data cost roaming vs the 75 cent texting cost i would incur otherwise.
    02-16-11 12:00 PM
    Well I guess I was wrong and so where a few others saying that it isn't going to happen.

Editorial: RIM seems to be as lost as my BlackBerry -- Engadget

Woah, now here's a juicy rumor to start your Thursday morning off with. BGR reports word from multiple trusted sources that RIM intends to take its BlackBerry Messenger outside the cozy confines of the BB ecosystem and straight into its competitors' app stores. BBM is reputedly all set to make its debut as a messaging app on both iOS and Android, though the specifics of what it might cost you have yet to be ironed out. It'll come in a stripped down version, you'll still need to own a BlackBerry for the full-flavored BBM experience, but that should nonetheless be extremely welcome news for folks finding themselves torn between platforms. The Android version is expected this year, say the sources, while the iOS app may take a little while longer thanks to Apple's more capricious approval requirements.
    03-03-11 03:53 PM
    liveprofile is the best bbm copycat. i even think its better.
    03-03-11 06:03 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD