03-03-11 05:03 PM
47 12
tools
    I wrote the following text on my blog this weekend after discussing about the evolution in our communication during the last decade with some friends. Of course I want to share this with the CB community. Feel free to react...

Why RIM should make BBM available for non-BlackBerry users

Communication is essential in our life. The way we communicate and by which channels has changed enormously in the last decade. If we go back ten years in time, we communicated with our friends by texting (SMS) and chat. Especially for young people like me (I was 15 years old those days), texting was quite an expensive way of communicating We used prepaid cards and thus had a limited amount of text messages we could send.

Considering the communication through chat, MSN Messenger was a great new tool those days. The Facebook idea of adding and accepting friends was started there and Can I have your MSN address? was the new Can I have your mobile phone number?. It was easy to communicate, you were able to share links and files and it delivered hours of chat fun. The latter wasnt always good for our productivity as a student, but we couldnt resist the temptation of being in constant contact with our friends. And then

Then the social media came up which changed everything. The channel of our communication and especially the way we communicated. Going from one to one communication to one to many, we shared our opinions in a Facebook status or a blog post like this one. We became member of Facebook groups and made a Twitter account to share opinions and links. All this with one idea: our message is no longer meant for one person, but for an entire group of friends or followers. Especially Facebook made it possible to communicate in an easier and all-round way with possibilities to make groups and fanpages, to plan events and share pictures.

Im quite convinced that we are standing at the beginning of a similar evolution with our mobile phones. An evolution already in use on the BlackBerry devices: BlackBerry Messenger (BBM). For those who dont have a BlackBerry device and dont know the app: BBM is a standard application/service on all BlackBerry devices on which you can add contacts by the PIN code of their BlackBerry device. Similar to MSN Messenger and Facebook, you have a profile name with your picture and an optional status bar on top of the app. You can communicate with your contacts in a chat, but even more you can make groups. In those groups you have a shared chatbox and the possibility to share pictures (and other files) and to make a shared agenda. For me, BBM is replacing text messages. When I look at my device, the previous week I had contact with 9 people through texting and with 24 people through BBM Im convinced that text messaging will disappear in the coming five to ten years and will be replaced by messenger applications. Text messaging will become like a fax: it will still be there, but every time youll get one you will ask yourself the question Who the **** is still using this!?.

Why I believe an app like BBM can replace the original text messages? Well first of all because of the reasons already mentioned above: a chat is easier to use, the possibility of sharing files, making groups and sharing an agenda with your friends. A second great advantage: BBM uses data. We are all getting more global. Our parents or friends are often abroad for work, we have friends who go studying in another country and when we are on holiday we meet people from all over the world. When you have to keep contact with those people through text messages, it can become quite expensive. BBM instead can be used unlimited with your data plan. No surprises.

Reasearch In Motion (RIM) has built their BBM app/service during the last ten years to a great messenger app which makes communicating with your friends very easy and all-round. The time has come for RIM to develop the application cross-platform so that every smartphone user can use the app, also the non-BlackBerry users. There already are some alternatives for iPhone and Android users such as Whats App or Kik. Both alternatives are limited in use though if you compare them to BBM. Yet, they show that there is an increasing demand for those kind of cross-platform messenger apps. Kik messenger for example reached one million users only 15 days after launching the app. If a local start-up can get those results, imagine what would be possible for RIM with their large server capacity, their ten years of BBM know-how and their global marketing approach

Of course, RIM is a company who needs to gain profits. A company never does something without asking the question Whats in it for me?. And yes, nowadays BBM is still one of the main powers attracting consumers to buy a BlackBerry device or to stay with those devices once they have one. But this reasoning will not stand in the long term. The application or service you offer is only as strong as the mass of users it has. If RIM doesnt do it, other players on the market will make a cross-platform messenger application which will have an enormous increase in users and make BBM a redundant app. Im sure that a cross-platform messenger app will be developed, so it would better be RIM developing it. For the numbers of the company on the one hand and for all the users on the other hand, given that the original is always better than the copy
    02-01-11 02:09 PM
  2. T
    I'm still not sure why people favor bbm over other IM clients. The other IM clients (aim, msn, yahoo, etc.) are already cross-platform and are not limited to mobile devices. I chat mob-mob and mob-computer using messengers with my contacts all the time. I probably don't understand because I don't have any contacts with blackberries with whom to use bbm, but I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 02:27 PM
    I think the difference is with BBM its always-on. No need to remember to restart AIM or Gtalk. And those IMs always log off after a few days.
    02-01-11 05:19 PM
  4. T
    I think the difference is with BBM its always-on. No need to remember to restart AIM or Gtalk. And those IMs always log off after a few days. Thanks!
    That's a great feature! The logging off/on is a pita. I think it even happens more frequently than every few days. Sometimes it seems like overnight.

02-01-11 05:22 PM
    i just use beejive and it works great on the BB
    02-01-11 05:30 PM
    @Tonis - BBM is universal to all Blackberry devices, well polished and integrated into the OS. I find with 3rd party cross-platform apps my iPhone and Android wielding friends are all over the place, Whatsapp, Pingchat etc.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    02-01-11 09:03 PM
    how much money would you be willing to pay for BBM access on another device?

the only way to make BBM viable on another device for RIM would be to sell it as an App, and make a second tier BBM that uses a user account with a randomly assigned "PIN" but how much would an iPhone user or Android user pay to use BBM? $8, $10, $15 as RIM clearly needs to make enough to off set the loss of selling BIS subscriptions to Carriers, and Hardware to Carriers.
    02-01-11 09:10 PM
  8. T
    @Tonis - BBM is universal to all Blackberry devices, well polished and integrated into the OS. I find with 3rd party cross-platform apps my iPhone and Android wielding friends are all over the place, Whatsapp, Pingchat etc.
    Another compelling reason. I have a friend who has some other type of smartphone (I forget which one) and I don't think she even has an IM app; she uses one called Parlingo that (I think) works through the browser. If only she'd get a BlackBerry!

02-01-11 09:10 PM
    how much money would you be willing to pay for BBM access on another device?

the only way to make BBM viable on another device for RIM would be to sell it as an App, and make a second tier BBM that uses a user account with a randomly assigned "PIN" but how much would an iPhone user or Android user pay to use BBM? $8, $10, $15 as RIM clearly needs to make enough to off set the loss of selling BIS subscriptions to Carriers, and Hardware to Carriers.
    none, it aint worth any extra money.
    02-01-11 09:16 PM
    none, it aint worth any extra money.
    Exactly!

so making BBM cross platform would be counter productive to RIM.

I agree BBM isn't worth spending extra money on.

I love BBM, but wouldn't buy it as an App.
    02-01-11 09:30 PM
    I think BBM should remain only on BlackBerry devices...
    02-02-11 12:37 AM
    I agree BBM should only be on BB.....if it were on other devices it would no longer be BlackBerry Messenger, right?
    02-02-11 12:40 AM
    Why don't Chevorlet, Ford and Dodge all use the same engine parts? After all, they all go putt putt, varoom varoom, and go from point A to point B. If BBM was made for all other brand of phones as someone else sayed, it wouldn't be BBM. There are a quite a few number of alternatives out there.
    02-02-11 03:53 AM
    Maybe call it UPM?

Universal Platform Messenger. No need for just blackberries. Devs just need to make it, then publish it. Should work on:

BBOS
    WebOS
    Palm OS
    Symbian/maego*
    Windows CE/Mobile
    Android
    QNX
    Other phone company firmware, open source or proprietary, based on Unix/Linux or DOS (with a GUI, yes, some DO still use it).

*if I spelled it wrong, feel free to correct in your quoted response.

02-02-11 05:55 AM
  15. And
    I think the difference is with BBM its always-on. No need to remember to restart AIM or Gtalk. And those IMs always log off after a few days.
    I don't know if you are talking about those apps on BB but on Android gTalk is also always on and doesn't log off if you don't want to. If internet connection gets lost, gTalk automatically reconnects when available again. It's exactly the same like BBM, only with the advantage that it's cross platform. That's why I also never understood why BBM is always mentioned as the "best" messenger. If only BB to BB, ok...
    Last edited by And; 02-02-11 at 09:10 AM.
    02-02-11 09:07 AM
    BBM is a special feature on Blackberries. Most people especially teenagers have bbs because of BBM. And let's not forget the iPhones are already popular through the roof, and if BBM was made cross platform then that would make steve jobs completely happy becuase the iPhone would be a complete multimedia and communication device. BBM to all platforms = RIM's shares go down drastically. I would never do that if I were Mike L same way as I would never give away the secret recipie which makes my restaurant unique.

Last edited by luqman24; 02-02-11 at 04:20 PM.
    02-02-11 04:18 PM
    I would never do that if I were Mike L same way as I would never give away the secret recipie which makes my restaurant unique.
    You've hit the nail on the head for me.

BBM is a feature that is unique to BlackBerrys, yes there are plenty of other IM apps out there that will do a great job, much like there are many restaurants serving a certain type of food, but when stands out more than the others, why give away that edge?

I agree also with what was said a few posts back, (with respect to 'why BBM?'), in that integrates properly into the BlackBerry to become a genuinely useful feature. I have many friends with iPhones who like WhatsApp and send me messages via it, but when I contact them I'm not inspired to use it and would rather send a text or email.

BBM and BlackBerry is a solid combo. I dunno if it would even feel that special if it were paired with an iPhone.
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 02-02-11 at 06:41 PM.
    02-02-11 06:38 PM
    Another big part of the popularity of BBM with companies, and Gov't usage is the security of RIM's backbone server for BBM and PIN messaging. Should RIM open that up to anyone and everyone and give their technology to other companies so that they can be compliant with the security necessary to meet the same standard, because lowering that security standard is NOT (in my opinion) an acceptable alternative.
    02-03-11 03:30 PM
    they won't because everyone will leave. BBM is the only thing keeping the hold outs from leaving to apple or android or wp7.
    02-03-11 03:48 PM
    they won't because everyone will leave. BBM is the only thing keeping the hold outs from leaving to apple or android or wp7.
    That is not a credible statement. There are many reason BlackBerry will remain the first choice for many consumers.

I am one good example, where else will I get UMA access on a Smartphone?
    02-03-11 03:51 PM
    That is not a credible statement. There are many reason BlackBerry will remain the first choice for many consumers.

I am one good example, where else will I get UMA access on a Smartphone?
    my apologies. you're right. everyone won't leave. most of them will though.
    02-03-11 04:14 PM
    I don't care for BBM anymore and there are other ways to communicate, BBM is no longer the do all end all of instant messaging.
    02-03-11 04:14 PM
    Anyone who doesnt think that BBM is far above any other messaging service obviously doesnt or hasnt used it in detail. Its seamless, it always works its just better than yahoo messenger programs out there. RIM will NEVER make BBM cross platform. It makes no sense, and no its not because everyone would leave. In fact I came running back to BB from Android and thats not even factoring BBM.
    02-03-11 04:30 PM
    Anyone who doesnt think that BBM is far above any other messaging service obviously doesnt or hasnt used it in detail. Its seamless, it always works its just better than yahoo messenger programs out there. RIM will NEVER make BBM cross platform. It makes no sense, and no its not because everyone would leave. In fact I came running back to BB from Android and thats not even factoring BBM.
    except for when RIM servers go down lol
    02-03-11 04:55 PM
    I don't care for BBM anymore and there are other ways to communicate, BBM is no longer the do all end all of instant messaging.
    It is actually. First, you or your contacts are never offline (unless you don't have BIS or your phone is off). So its IM at your fingertips. Second, you can make groups and have a group convo and when no is offline. So its basically a digital face to face chat with your friends who have BBs which 85% my friends do and the other 15% I text. The other IM apps were so 2006, facebook, texting and BBM killed them.

02-03-11 07:26 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD