06-10-11 06:07 PM
39 12
tools
    Why does it matter where they got the ideas from. Its the final result that counts. The only advantage RIM has left (from my perspective) is the physical keyboard. I don't understand why anyone would use a touch screen only BB (but that is just me).
    i agree.. it doesnt matter at all.. im just saying that once again everyone will say that apple came up with the ideas lol

I like touch only because when the keyboard hidden, the screen is larger.
    06-08-11 09:05 AM
    Originally Posted by JD914:
    "Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. If you were to look at the 2007 WWDC you will see Apple has absolutely no intentions taking a step backwards and adding a hardware keyboard to any of their mobile devices."

They aren't a thing of the past, wtf are you talking about?
    I agree, RollingRock, this is nuts. Why and how are keyboards a thing of the past? JD914, do you have proof of this historical nature of keyboards? They indeed may not be an apple thing and that is fine, however for many people a real keyboard is good and necessary. Time will tell, and I doubt all glass only from every carrier and manufacturer is a looong way off. At least until decent voice control comes out, then I'll have a reason to ditch the keyboard. Until then, you can enjoy the keyboard and some of us will enjoy the keyboards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    06-09-11 07:05 AM
    I agree, RollingRock, this is nuts. Why and how are keyboards a thing of the past? JD914, do you have proof of this historical nature of keyboards? They indeed may not be an apple thing and that is fine, however for many people a real keyboard is good and necessary. Time will tell, and I doubt all glass only from every carrier and manufacturer is a looong way off. At least until decent voice control comes out, then I'll have a reason to ditch the keyboard. Until then, you can enjoy the keyboard and some of us will enjoy the keyboards.

I also think apple is going to release a phone with a keyboard. They know people are ready for a new form factor and they are ready to innovate again ( )
    06-09-11 08:41 AM
    I also think apple is going to release a phone with a keyboard. They know people are ready for a new form factor and they are ready to innovate again ( )

I also think apple is going to release a phone with a keyboard. They know people are ready for a new form factor and they are ready to steal ideas again ( )

edited for proper terminology LOL
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    06-09-11 08:44 AM
    In order to believe this you'd have to believe that CEOs smart enough to build a billion dollar company have somehow missed the last 4 years. Since I don't believe RIM's management suddenly forgot how to run their company, I'm guessing it is unlikely they've been Rip Van Winkling since 2007.
    They built a company and ran a company to do what RIM is doing today. That does nor does not mean that they, or the company that they built, is competent enough to handle the changes needed to properly compete in the way that Apple and Google have changed the smart phone market. RIM has admitted that they are in a transition period right now. How quickly and successfully they transition will determine the company's future relevance. Palm failed at this transition by being too late to the game with WebOS and delivering crap hardware, and they basically died and were bought by HP who hopes to resurrect WebOS and use it in tons of other devices. RIM was obviously caught flat footed by Apple, and Google has obviously taken advantage of Apple's past AT&T exclusivity deal by delivering a me too device while RIM has basically done little. IMHO the Playbook has the best OS and UI on the market right now and RIM should be busting there asses to get it on a phone.
    06-09-11 08:59 AM
    Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. If you were to look at the 2007 WWDC you will see Apple has absolutely no intentions taking a step backwards and adding a hardware keyboard to any of their mobile devices.

As I said on another post, Blackberries are now of "flip phone" status and their once renowned physical keyboard is now a physical handicap. With the exception of the Storm (and we know what a failure that was), RIM can't seem to break away from that mold and look beyond the box.
    And I take it that you are a "expert" on what's now in the past? I and MILLIONS of others love the Blackberry physical keyboard.

andyahs likes this.
    06-09-11 09:26 AM
    Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. If you were to look at the 2007 WWDC you will see Apple has absolutely no intentions taking a step backwards and adding a hardware keyboard to any of their mobile devices.

As I said on another post, Blackberries are now of "flip phone" status and their once renowned physical keyboard is now a physical handicap. With the exception of the Storm (and we know what a failure that was), RIM can't seem to break away from that mold and look beyond the box.
    Yes so leave us to our stone knives and bear skins and go to your fancy device forums!
    andyahs likes this.
    06-09-11 10:13 AM
    I posted this at Anandtech the day of the iMessage announcement:

Title: Even as a BlackBerry fanboy, I have little hope for the future

Yesterday's announcement of iMessage was in my opinion the last nail in the coffin, that may take two years to fully seat in the shallow grave of technology products, of a product that was once hailed as the leader and innovator in the smartphone space. ****, it was RIM that conviced the analysts to use the term Smartphone to refer to the category for the purpose of reporting numbers. It's sad, as I have genuinely found these devices to be both powerful and fun to use in their own way.

However, there are some epic delays on the new devices, and these may be to much for new users to bear or wait for. I don't expect an epic Palm-like descent into obscurity, I fully expect them to keep a niche in the Coporate arena, but that they will end up chugging the same 20m or so device per qtr while others shoot up to astronomical numbers leaving them behind.

Pre post EDIT:
    I wrote a large piece here revealing some insider stuff, but deleted it, as my Wife lives and breathes in this industry and it wouldn't be fair to blow the whistle, as someone would end up attributing it back to her, even if she wasn't the source.

Now I'm sure there are many in this sub forum who cannot wait to bathe in the schadenfreude, and you can have at it. From my perspective the PlayBook may well be the last RIM device I own after I replace my 9520. It's the only exciting product, but the handsets that spawn from it's development are too far out for me to consider waiting for.
    I've been a fan for a long time, my wife worked there for years, but I can't see staying with the platform for much more than another 6-8 months unless they pull a QNX handset out of the bag in that time. Which they will not.
    06-09-11 11:22 AM
    I've been a fan for a long time, my wife worked there for years, but I can't see staying with the platform for much more than another 6-8 months unless they pull a QNX handset out of the bag in that time. Which they will not.
    I don't need a QNX handset to stay with RIM. I need on handset support of EAS and IMAP. Better still would be a fully functioning BB without a BIS provisioned SIM card.
    06-09-11 02:58 PM
    So switch platforms? I don't understand why people get so sentimental over supporting a particular platform like it's a lifestyle choice or something...
    06-09-11 03:00 PM
    I don't need a QNX handset to stay with RIM. I need on handset support of EAS and IMAP. Better still would be a fully functioning BB without a BIS provisioned SIM card.
    BIS and BES are a huge part of what makes a Blackberry a Blackberry. You should switch platforms if you want a smartphone that works without them.
    06-09-11 03:04 PM
    So switch platforms? I don't understand why people get so sentimental over supporting a particular platform like it's a lifestyle choice or something...
    I think it has to do with the fact that people love the form factor and some of the things that other phones don't have. For instance, BBM, the ability to customize it the way we can, battery life etc. (we know why we love BB.)

Not everyone wants all touch or slider.. that's what is saturating the market. Of course RIM needs to appeal to that market, but their bread and butter is keyboards. People don't embrace the front qwerty candy bar form factor really and many people want that.

Yes yes the droid pro and the HTC ChaCha, but there are problems with both that don't address a number of BB users need. BB users want more from BBs while keeping features they love at the same time.
    06-09-11 03:32 PM
    BIS and BES are a huge part of what makes a Blackberry a Blackberry. You should switch platforms if you want a smartphone that works without them.
    BES adds value over EAS for corporate use, BIS does not. I have two BBs, one uses BES (business) and one uses BIS (personal).

BIS does little for me (main value is reduced use of data). For my personal use the major appeal of a BB is the form factor and fantastic Bold keyboard.
    06-09-11 04:11 PM
    Apple or google won't find me being a customer of their software, maybe running on my netbook, but not any of my phones. Blackberry has suited me since switching from a pocket pc 6700 and I won't be going back unless i'm dissatisfied.

06-10-11 06:07 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD