06-10-11 06:07 PM
39 12
tools
    As I was reading through blogs following WWDC and seeing all Apple's updates I felt a little depressed. As much as I'm a fan of Blackberry devices I just can't help think that RIM is falling more behind with its competitors. And there's nothing that they have done so far makes their fans and investors believe they got what it takes to be competitive again.

Let's say RIM releases their "super phone" in 2012 like some are predicting, a QNX Blackberry with all the bells and whistles. That device is only going to cater to existing BB users. Those on other platforms will be too invested in them to switch. For BB fans that's fine and dandy, but for investors they may take their money elsewhere. With this, what can RIM do? Their market share is slowing being chipped away by Apple and Android phones in the consumer and enterprise markets.

Apple is not as innovative as many think they are. But there's one thing that is certain. They can execute and deliver and they do so year in and year out. iOS had its shortcoming, but with today's announcements the new notification feature and iCloud took care of them. Even their brand new iMessages platform seemingly emulates and exceeds what BBM is planning to do (BBM integration with apps). If Apple dabbles in creating version of an iPhone with a physical keyboard that would surely put an end to RIM.

Some of you may or may not agree, but after WWDC today RIM is in deeper waters than was ever before. Apple now has RIM's market surrounded. All is left to tout about RIM's phones are their awesome physical keyboards and QNX. I have a friend who is a complete Apple fanboy who constantly bash RIM and claiming them to be the next Palm, and as much as I hate it, it is difficult to argue.

/End Rant
    06-07-11 12:01 AM
    If Apple can deliver on the features and promises it put out today, it will be a good sign that they are a contender for taking the market. I am sure RIM has been ready for this release and hopefully has planned to put the motor on high and belt out some needed updates and put to rest all the haters.

It will still be at least 3-5 months before Apple releases iOS5. Marketing and hype has always been apple's strong point. Watching the keynote speech today Steve Jobs admits that MobileMe was a flop. Plus they charged for that!
    06-07-11 12:24 AM
    I hope your right Zach.

There was a new leak for BB Bridge and that got me stoked. Bridge Browser works!! I hope RIM will be cranking out updates and maybe releasing their the new Bold Touch and beat Apple to the punch before iOS5 and their next iPhone.
    06-07-11 12:29 AM
    Glass half full!!
    06-07-11 12:31 AM
    I too am a HUGE BlackBerry fan...I even created a website for it. But I like you felt a huge knot in my stomach reading the announcements from Apple yesterday. The more I see, the more I feel that they are like a deer in the headlights. They have a plan, but by the time that plan comes to fruition what will be left? Sure they are popular with other countries, and teeny boppers, but is that enough?

I guess time will tell, but I for one am worried for the first time.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 07:27 AM
    If it was depressing then companies are doing their job, making money. making the user want more and more. Selling you on features, etc. Basic practice of any company.....
    06-07-11 07:51 AM
    Survival of the fittest. RIM needs to step up their game Android and iOS are consistently one-upping each other with new features while RIM is playing catch up.

Android one upped Apple with customization, Apple one upped Android with Apps, Android one upped Apple with cloud support, and now Apple is one upping Android with better cloud support.

During this whole time RIM is still trying to get their Browser done right...
    06-07-11 10:57 AM
    I am sure RIM has been ready for this release and hopefully has planned to put the motor on high and belt out some needed updates and put to rest all the haters.
    In order to believe this you'd have to believe that CEOs smart enough to build a billion dollar company have somehow missed the last 4 years. Since I don't believe RIM's management suddenly forgot how to run their company, I'm guessing it is unlikely they've been Rip Van Winkling since 2007.
    06-07-11 11:16 AM
    If Apple can deliver on the features and promises it put out today, it will be a good sign that they are a contender for taking the market. I am sure RIM has been ready for this release and hopefully has planned to put the motor on high and belt out some needed updates and put to rest all the haters.
    What reason do you have for believing that Apple cannot deliver. They have a better track record in that respect than RIM.
    06-07-11 11:52 AM
    What reason do you have for believing that Apple cannot deliver. They have a better track record in that respect than RIM.
    This is true.

We haven't heard anything from rim.
    06-07-11 04:00 PM
    What would they say? Sorry guys, we f@cked up :s

I'm one of BBs biggest advocates, but man...the rest of the segment seems so far ahead, and just when I think the gap is getting smaller, the competition hits the nitro button and they're gone again.
    06-07-11 04:23 PM
    What would they say? Sorry guys, we f@cked up :s

I'm one of BBs biggest advocates, but man...the rest of the segment seems so far ahead, and just when I think the gap is getting smaller, the competition hits the nitro button and they're gone again.

They would release specific launch dates. They would apologize for their missteps and mistakes. They would publicly admit where they went wrong and then from there say this is where we are going, this what we want to accomplish and this is how we are going to accomplish those things.

They also need to address their slow turnaround.
    06-07-11 04:30 PM
    You know what was the other thing RIM is scared of most from Apple? A hardware keyboard on an iPhone.
    06-07-11 04:34 PM
    Rip rim........
    06-07-11 04:43 PM
    You know what was the other thing RIM is scared of most from Apple? A hardware keyboard on an iPhone.
    I hope it's coming. Of course I want the form factor of a blackberry but as an iphone.

There have always been rumors of apple moving forward with a physical keyboard........ Maybe it'll come true?
    06-07-11 04:47 PM
    Hasn't Apple been trying the cloud for years? Right now they have MobileMe for $100 a year and it doesn't work great. I don't own a single Apple device but they told me I could use it with my BB do sync contacts and calendar OTA. I it for 3 days and cancelled it. They took over my information and screwed it all up. Good thing I was smart enough to save a copy before trying it. Now they are going to give a 5gb Cloud service away for free.
    06-07-11 05:59 PM
    Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. If you were to look at the 2007 WWDC you will see Apple has absolutely no intentions taking a step backwards and adding a hardware keyboard to any of their mobile devices.

As I said on another post, Blackberries are now of "flip phone" status and their once renowned physical keyboard is now a physical handicap. With the exception of the Storm (and we know what a failure that was), RIM can't seem to break away from that mold and look beyond the box.
    06-07-11 06:10 PM
    As I was reading through blogs following WWDC and seeing all Apple's updates I felt a little depressed. As much as I'm a fan of Blackberry devices I just can't help think that RIM is falling more behind with its competitors. And there's nothing that they have done so far makes their fans and investors believe they got what it takes to be competitive again.

Let's say RIM releases their "super phone" in 2012 like some are predicting, a QNX Blackberry with all the bells and whistles. That device is only going to cater to existing BB users. Those on other platforms will be too invested in them to switch. For BB fans that's fine and dandy, but for investors they may take their money elsewhere. With this, what can RIM do? Their market share is slowing being chipped away by Apple and Android phones in the consumer and enterprise markets.

Apple is not as innovative as many think they are. But there's one thing that is certain. They can execute and deliver and they do so year in and year out. iOS had its shortcoming, but with today's announcements the new notification feature and iCloud took care of them. Even their brand new iMessages platform seemingly emulates and exceeds what BBM is planning to do (BBM integration with apps). If Apple dabbles in creating version of an iPhone with a physical keyboard that would surely put an end to RIM.

Some of you may or may not agree, but after WWDC today RIM is in deeper waters than was ever before. Apple now has RIM's market surrounded. All is left to tout about RIM's phones are their awesome physical keyboards and QNX. I have a friend who is a complete Apple fanboy who constantly bash RIM and claiming them to be the next Palm, and as much as I hate it, it is difficult to argue.

/End Rant
    If you change the word "think" to "know" I agree with you 100%.
    06-07-11 06:18 PM
    Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. If you were to look at the 2007 WWDC you will see Apple has absolutely no intentions taking a step backwards and adding a hardware keyboard to any of their mobile devices.

As I said on another post, Blackberries are now of "flip phone" status and their once renowned physical keyboard is now a physical handicap. With the exception of the Storm (and we know what a failure that was), RIM can't seem to break away from that mold and look beyond the box.
    I agree they are a thing of the past, but many still use them. This would be a way to lure dedicated keyboard users. We all know they got the Touch part down and one of the easiest OS's there is. Many are still on the edge about going to a full touch device, from a full keyboard device, like a BlackBerry. This will make the transition easier and eventually they will be comfortable going to a full touch device. More than likely another iPhone.
    06-07-11 07:30 PM
    Why? Because the don't release a plastic, black phone every 6 months? Because RIM concentrates more on security, battery life and communications?

Apple is all about marketing. For the average person, the out of box experience is wonderful. The number of applications is wonderful. But dissect all of this. Steve want's you to drink his kool-aid. All of the IOS5 and iCloud gimmickry work if your entire world is Apple. Have a PC, sorry. Have a BB, sorry. Don't use iTunes, sorry.

What was announced that was so unique and compelling that made you want to jump ship? Notifications? Already got it! ( and I don't have to pick up my phone and check either! ). Intra device communications (iMessage)? Already got it! Synchronization services? Already got it!
    06-07-11 09:56 PM
    How would an iphone with a physical keyboard be a unique form factor or better form factor than a BlackBerry? I guess apple could put the keyboard above the screen and tell the fanbois that is the future: like wearing your hat backward. Wow! Cool!

Let's see what all this prognostication reveals in a few years. Apple will still have a rectangular chuck with all glass, but it will now have over 100,000 FREE fart apps. And BlackBerry will still be a boring black candy bar with real keyboard and people will still use them, but they'll be going the way of the dodo again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 07:47 AM
    people seem to get so excited when apple announces features that other phones already have? I will never understand this... everyone seems to think that apple invented these new ideas because most apple users have such tunnel vision that no other product exists. They stole iMessage from BB, camera on lockscreen from WP7, cloud is nothing new, notifications were NOT their idea - they actually hired the guy who made that system for Jailbroken iPhones. etc etc... nothing is new here... its just stolen ideas.

As much as i do think apple has a very good system (if they didnt they would not be where they are) - iTunes is horrible... god forbid you try to browse apps! it would take hours to maybe find a good new one! as mentioned before there are too many ridiculous apps... and hundreds of the same app!

This same thing goes the other way too... im sure when QNX phones are released there will be features that other phones have had.. etc etc. It comes down to preference. I still find that BB phone are easier to use and take less "work" to get what you want done. Albeit, it takes me longer on my storm2 since its runs slow... lol

RIM is NOT going anywhere. They still have a good chunk of the market and lots of cash. Yes, they will slip more.. but will recover.
    06-08-11 08:19 AM

They aren't a thing of the past, wtf are you talking about?
    06-08-11 08:43 AM
    people seem to get so excited when apple announces features that other phones already have? I will never understand this... everyone seems to think that apple invented these new ideas because most apple users have such tunnel vision that no other product exists. They stole iMessage from BB, camera on lockscreen from WP7, cloud is nothing new, notifications were NOT their idea - they actually hired the guy who made that system for Jailbroken iPhones. etc etc... nothing is new here... its just stolen ideas.

It comes down to preference. I still find that BB phone are easier to use and take less "work" to get what you want done. Albeit, it takes me longer on my storm2 since its runs slow... lol

RIM is NOT going anywhere. They still have a good chunk of the market and lots of cash. Yes, they will slip more.. but will recover.
    Why does it matter where they got the ideas from. Its the final result that counts. The only advantage RIM has left (from my perspective) is the physical keyboard. I don't understand why anyone would use a touch screen only BB (but that is just me).
    06-08-11 08:43 AM
    Why does it matter where they got the ideas from. Its the final result that counts. The only advantage RIM has left (from my perspective) is the physical keyboard. I don't understand why anyone would use a touch screen only BB (but that is just me).
    I don't mind touch only, but I seriously believe that physical keyboards are not a thing of the past.

Look at all the slider phones that sell every single day.
    06-08-11 08:53 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD