I'm curious why it is that there are apps that can shut off the camera shutter click for GSM models as opposed to CDMA models.
    I'm no expert and always thought that was just a network thing so why would it affect the camera?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 01:04 PM
    this is something I'm actually very curious about too. I was going to post about it but figured someone had to have asked. :P

Any thoughts people?
    08-31-09 10:30 AM
    That is a puzzling question. I don't know the answer. But it's worth mentioning that BerryAnnoying, available at BerryAnnoying - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store, can mute the shutter on the Tour. That's the only CDMA phone that it works on, at this writing. Is that functionality due to the Tour also being a GSM phone? I don't know.
    09-02-09 06:15 AM
    That is a puzzling question. I don't know the answer. But it's worth mentioning that BerryAnnoying, available at BerryAnnoying - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store, can mute the shutter on the Tour. That's the only CDMA phone that it works on, at this writing. Is that functionality due to the Tour also being a GSM phone? I don't know.
    If that were the case wouldn't it work on the storm? I don't think it is that simple.
    09-02-09 06:19 AM
    Have you tried it? Is it possible that it does work on the Storm and nobody bothered to try because the vendor site plainly says it does not? There's a free trial, so no risk to try.
    09-02-09 06:22 AM
    I'm trying it out right now.
    09-02-09 08:50 AM
    It does NOT work for the storm.
    09-02-09 08:57 AM
    the camera sound is there for the pervs out there I read that somewhere, it stops people from doing upskirts and the such, when there is a camera sounds it is suppose to deter that sort of thing. makes sense to me. it is a privacy issue. say your in a store, or my wife or daughter is in store trying on clothes, and someone comes by under neath the doors....and just takes pictures at random, the clicking sound would let someone know whats happening.

my 2 cents IMO

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/mu...-sound-276056/

pending Bill called the Camera Phone Predator Act????
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    Last edited by CARTEEUSMC; 09-02-09 at 09:11 AM.
    09-02-09 09:05 AM
    The shutter noise a.k.a anti-perv deterrent.
    09-02-09 09:30 AM
    That may be the reason for the sound. What we are trying to figure out is why its only possible for an app to mute it on GSM phones as opposed to CDMA models.

09-02-09 09:53 AM
    you know with all three computers i have, i can not tell you that answer. Just a thought, CDMA is only in the US and GSM is global and some countries do not require it.

1 cent

I personally like camera sound!
    09-02-09 09:57 AM
    That may be but the US at this time does not require it yet either so why would RIM put it there w/o an option to disable it. If they are trying to be altruistic then I'd assume they'd put it on all phones, in any country even if they're not required to.

09-02-09 10:26 AM
    I can understand why the sound is on there to prevent the "pervs" from taking pictures that they shouldn't, but in reality this is bull. There are so many other manufactures who don't have the camera sound enabled or have the ability to shut it off.

What happens when you are at the museum or wedding and you taking a picture and it is very quite and all you hear is the noise of your bb clicking away. It is very annoying. I can't believe Rim has the sound enabled just to keep the pervs from taking pictures.

If this was the case all the pervs have to do is get another cellphone that lets you disable the camera sound. And if you think of it do you really think that a perv would buy a blackberry? No way, the cheap ******* would probably buy the cheapest camera phone out there.
    09-02-09 11:28 AM
    I guess detecting sarcasm isnt your strong suit. Its not for the pervs.

This is why they implemented the shutter noise: The Storm has the auto-focus that has about a 3-4 second delay. When taking a self pic (group/solo) if the flash is off the only way to really tell if the pic was taken is the shutter noise. It can be annoying at times I admit that. I think a MUTE would be a good idea.

Its not for pervs, shutter noise wouldnt deter those sickos.
    09-02-09 11:58 AM
    I suppose this could be one reason why the shutter noise is there, but unlikely. Other phones have the same auto-focus but no shutter noise.

I guess detecting sarcasm isnt your strong suit. Its not for the pervs.

This is why they implemented the shutter noise: The Storm has the auto-focus that has about a 3-4 second delay. When taking a self pic (group/solo) if the flash is off the only way to really tell if the pic was taken is the shutter noise. It can be annoying at times I admit that. I think a MUTE would be a good idea.

Its not for pervs, shutter noise wouldnt deter those sickos.
    09-02-09 09:45 PM
    Again, what we are trying to figure out is why it is possible to mute the shutter noise on GSM phones as opposed to CDMA models. NOT why the shutter noise is there. Any more suggestions?

09-03-09 09:10 AM
    Yes. . . . Let's not get distracted. . . . The goal is to (if not find a suitable option for CDMA devices) figure out why?. . . . I did have an LG phone prior to my berry and the camera mute was a standard feature so it CAN be done. . . . The shutter is simply annoying.

09-20-09 10:45 AM
    Every camera phone I've had a mute sound option, granted they were not smart phones but yeah. I've considered getting a tour since it's confirmed that these mute sound apps work on it instead of my 8330.

Yes. . . . Let's not get distracted. . . . The goal is to (if not find a suitable option for CDMA devices) figure out why?. . . . I did have an LG phone prior to my berry and the camera mute was a standard feature so it CAN be done. . . . The shutter is simply annoying.

09-20-09 11:45 AM
    It wasn't until I started reading forums that the idea of deterring nefarious pervs was the reasoning behind the sound. I figured it was to keep people from stealing ideas during company visits. Of course, the same logic follows; if someone is really interested in taking a photo (be pervy or IP theft) they'd use a real camera. I don't have an answer to the original question but I've wondered the same thing.
    11-06-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD