My carrier is with Rogers since I'm Canadian but I have friends in the U.S and U.K who I communicate a lot via text, I'm new to Whatsapp so am a little confused does it only work if you've got a data plan? And can it only text to certain kinds of cell phone ie. BB and iPhone? Also if I BBM my friend in the U.S will I get charged? I'm going to the U.S on vacation in June and plan on getting a traveling data plan but if I BBM my friend while we're over there will it be cheaper then texting, we both have Canadian phone carriers. I'm sorry if a lot of this doesn't make much sense!
    03-30-11 08:54 AM
    BBM will only work with BIS, either over carrier network or WiFi.

Not sure if Whatsapp needs BIS but it will need data to work.

BBM is included in your BIS plan and you can message (as opposed to text which usually leads people to think SMS text) people world wide with no extra costs (SMS texts thou, can get you in trouble at the end of the month if you text abroad).

What will be cheaper will depend of you travel plan. You'll have to check with the carrier.
    03-30-11 09:18 AM
    I just got rid of my 500mb of data since I don't surf the internet or check e-mails on my phone, but I've got unlimited social-networking will I still be able to use BBM? Sorry I'm very new to all of this.
    03-30-11 09:28 AM
    You don't incur long distance charges for using either BBM or Whatsapp when sending messages to phones outside of Canada.

Your cost is just what's included in your data/bis plan.
    03-30-11 10:32 AM
    Yes, BBM is included.
    03-30-11 10:40 AM
    You don't incur long distance charges for using either BBM or Whatsapp when sending messages to phones outside of Canada.

Your cost is just what's included in your data/bis plan.
    Okay thank-you.
    03-30-11 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD