04-03-11 04:37 PM
51 123
tools
    I don't know how long they keep it, but rim records bbm conversations. A few wall street traders have been charged using bbm records. Just saying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I assume wall st traders would be on BES in which case the bbms would stay on the company's server. But I do think Rim keeps bbms for a short while too but they wouldn't be data mined and I believe they can produce a printout under warrant but that's it.

04-01-11 01:50 PM
    Well as a previous poster said...it's on all the time. If the phone is on BBM is ON. No logging in etc.
    With gtalk, Y!M etc if the person doesn't login you can send all the messages you want and he won't get it.
    Plus BBM has the Delivered and Read notification. So you know that its delivered.
    and correct me if I'm wrong, but BBM is easy on the battery as it uses the BB servers and they conserve battery by making the device ping time to time rather than be connected to the net.
    I have noticed that if I keep gtalk logged in, I get much less battery life on my torch. My phone is the only phone I use. Never use landline. Got my Torch on 20th sep 2010. And since then I have logged in 70 days 13 hours of talk time. So battery is very imp. Can't waste it on net based IM's.
    Even android phones with any form of messenger logged in drains battery realy quick.
    04-01-11 02:15 PM
    How exactly, you don't have control over it.

You can opt into the Off Record. And I do not discuss private information over it.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    04-01-11 04:53 PM
    I mean bbm is amazing because I hate SMS. Character limits are just stupid. Also, I love knowing delivered and read and when someone is typing. It never signs out and uses a lot less power.

The layout to me is nice. I put my select friends who only use SMS on it and I talk to anyone else who has BBM which is people I'm close to. To me (and I am probably the only one) BBM is a perfect messaging service for SMS and IMing. It's organized and intuitive. BBM is it's own little social network.

I am glad they are bringing it to other platforms and I hope that RIM continues to integrate BBM into other services and adds more features. Personally, I'd like to see Facebook integration.
    04-01-11 05:17 PM
    Well as a previous poster said...it's on all the time. If the phone is on BBM is ON. No logging in etc.
    With gtalk, Y!M etc if the person doesn't login you can send all the messages you want and he won't get it.
    Plus BBM has the Delivered and Read notification. So you know that its delivered.
    and correct me if I'm wrong, but BBM is easy on the battery as it uses the BB servers and they conserve battery by making the device ping time to time rather than be connected to the net.
    I have noticed that if I keep gtalk logged in, I get much less battery life on my torch. My phone is the only phone I use. Never use landline. Got my Torch on 20th sep 2010. And since then I have logged in 70 days 13 hours of talk time. So battery is very imp. Can't waste it on net based IM's.
    Even android phones with any form of messenger logged in drains battery realy quick.
    I use LiveProfile on my Captivate. It is always on. If I turn the phone off and then on, LP loads with the phone just like BBM would. I don't have to log in or do anything.

I get sent and read notification from LP just like I used to from BBM. I can also see when the user I'm talking with is typing a message, just like BBM.

Ever since I've loaded LP, I have noticed no difference in my battery usage.
    04-01-11 05:18 PM
    I was not a big fan of BBM when I had my BB. I had two key friends on there that I BBM'd with regularly and the longer the chat string got.. the more sluggish my phone got. Often times we would share pictures of kids or random stuff and that would really beat up my phone. Speaking of pictures, at the time I used it I could not take a picture from the app to send.. I had to already have it and then send it.

I did like the little voice text feature. Being on Sprint I had come to really appreciate voice texting, an awesome feature that I lost when I went Blackberry. The little voice notes in BBM were nice but limited of course to only other BB users and very short. My old vtext on sprint had a 2 minute limit - awesome! More on that in a minute.

Delivered/Received/Read - I didnt like this. It works both ways. If I saw my message read but not responded to timely, I'd find myself growing a bit flustered. Especially on quick messages that need a response soon like rearranging a time for something and trying to confirm. Sure with SMS I have no idea when it's read, and admittedly I my patience will strain a bit then too but it's not as bad. The same goes the opposite direction. Sometimes you just want to not be disturbed a bit, maybe you're completely engrossed in a movie or book or whatever. I'd actually just skip reading the BBM till I was ready, as it sat there blinking the whole time, so the person wouldnt get that read message. It just lacked a bit of control.

When I left BB I found all these issues alleviated. I now have vtexting again! Love it, especially if I need to send a message in the car. A full 2 minutes is a lot of time to say something. If it goes to other androiders on Sprint (and maybe feature phones too although I never tested) they get my message and can listen without making a call.. right on their phone locally. For other users outside of Sprint they get a text message with a number to call and they can listen/respond - a bit more cumbersome for them but works am azingly with my fellow androiders on sprint.

SMS on this platform no longer blocks my message limit - I just keep typing should I run over the 160 count and it splits the messages for me.

Obviously like most sms platforms there is an option to add a picture/video or take a picture/video right from the messanging app and send it to the person.

I missed out on groups in BBM and maybe/hopefully new pictures/vids can be added directly without having to drop out and go take them.

Note: I rarely use Gtalk as well or any IM's. I text or call or email. That said Gtalk can easily be told to stay logged in so in that case if the phone is on gtalk is on. However, much like BBM, gtalk also doesnt really top SMS messaging for me either. SMS is just way more powerful in my view. And in my case unlimited so there is zero draw back.
    Last edited by kcmoberry; 04-01-11 at 10:16 PM.
    04-01-11 10:13 PM
    I practically lived on BBM. Between having about 30 BBM contacts, and belonging to six BBM Groups, it was a very convenient way to start in touch with people. I also used Trillian so I could keep in touch with my non-BB friends.

I think the main things I liked about BBM was message confirmations, and being able to preview images without having to wait to download them. My wife works at a hospital. I would sent her a message, knowing she might be with a patient. The confirmations let me know when she was not busy with procedures and such.

The BBM Groups made it easy to chat with a group of people with similar interests. Plus, we had a family group where all of our family events were added to the group calendar, and lists were used for things like grocery shopping. It was very convenient.

LiveProfile its starting to fill in the gap for cross-platform messaging. The fact that they already hit 2 million users in such a short time shows how much of a need there is for something like BBM outside of BlackBerry. If they do get groups added, it will definitely help to make it stand out (like BBM does already).
    04-01-11 11:49 PM
    I don't understand you. Do you mean you only use google talk because they do record everything or you quit using it because they record everything?

I don't want someone recording all of my conversations.
    And he's posting from an Android phone. Bet he thinks it has some magical anti-google force field on it and they aren't data mining his browser search, among other things...
    04-02-11 02:10 AM
    I mean bbm is amazing because I hate SMS. Character limits are just stupid. Also, I love knowing delivered and read and when someone is typing. It never signs out and uses a lot less power.

The layout to me is nice. I put my select friends who only use SMS on it and I talk to anyone else who has BBM which is people I'm close to. To me (and I am probably the only one) BBM is a perfect messaging service for SMS and IMing. It's organized and intuitive. BBM is it's own little social network.

I am glad they are bringing it to other platforms and I hope that RIM continues to integrate BBM into other services and adds more features. Personally, I'd like to see Facebook integration.
    Any decent phone will convert a very long SMS into an MMS and send it no problem. Dunno how BBs handle this, but pretty much every other phone I've used (even my Old Samsung Jack) did this without any prompt of forced user intervention. It was fully automated.
    04-02-11 02:15 AM
    Any decent phone will convert a very long SMS into an MMS and send it no problem. Dunno how BBs handle this, but pretty much every other phone I've used (even my Old Samsung Jack) did this without any prompt of forced user intervention. It was fully automated.
    I don't know about other places but in UK mms cost extra, they're not included in the sms packages.

04-02-11 02:18 AM
    Bbm is just more convenient no installing nothing, I got a pin I can send it to ppl to add and that's it. I know live profile has pin to but its new.

Its just a lot more simplier and faster the ne other I'm clients. And r/d is always good and satisfying. Plus its seamless and easy to use.

04-02-11 02:27 AM
    And he's posting from an Android phone. Bet he thinks it has some magical anti-google force field on it and they aren't data mining his browser search, among other things...
    No I understand the w.hore data from my phone.

But what I am confused about is you posted something about me and I have my anti-troll force field on. I wonder you broke though.

04-02-11 08:25 AM
    I'm curious... am a BBM user on my 9700 but one of my friends went to the iPhone...any suggestions for a messenger app that doesn't show up in detail on my ATT bill?

absolutely love using BBM, nothing like it...but everyone now is switching to iPhone so its a bust for me and I don't want an iPhone!
    Wait and BBM will be available for the iPhone soon.
    04-02-11 10:24 AM
    Wait and BBM will be available for the iPhone soon.
    blackberry debunked that rumor.

04-02-11 11:06 AM
    blackberry debunked that rumor.

The specific date, but it is still coming for both iPhone and Android. They just debunked the date.

Exclusive: BlackBerry Messenger will launch on Android and iOS | BGR
    04-02-11 11:09 AM
    BBM!! FTW!! You just can't explain it LOL. It's like a cult LOL.
    04-02-11 02:51 PM
    I never found anything about BBM special and I had a decent sized BBM list at one point. I prefer IM clients that allow me to contact anyone I want, not just BB users.
    04-02-11 02:55 PM
    I'm curious... am a BBM user on my 9700 but one of my friends went to the iPhone...any suggestions for a messenger app that doesn't show up in detail on my ATT bill?

absolutely love using BBM, nothing like it...but everyone now is switching to iPhone so its a bust for me and I don't want an iPhone!
    LiveProfile is pretty good. Any IM client that supports cross platform (which is most major IM services).
    04-02-11 02:57 PM
    BBM!! FTW!! You just can't explain it LOL. It's like a cult LOL.
    I agree a wacked out cult.

04-02-11 03:24 PM
    So, here's the case:

All of my sister's friends, who happens to be quite outgoing people, the typical guys and girls you see shopping for fun and go to coffee shop and karaoke together, now refuse to use Y!M on their BlackBerry

Ever since they got their hands on BlackBerry, they refuse to use Yahoo! Messenger any longer, despite the glaring fact that RIM's Yahoo! Messenger client does everything a BlackBerry Messenger can do. Except maybe showing what you're listening to, but how important is it?

They completely forgot about the "Messenger" part of "BlackBerry Messenger" and "Yahoo! Messenger", focusing instead on the "BlackBerry" part. They refuse to be contacted via anything but phone call, SMS, and BBM, despite the fact that any other messenger would require the same dataplan

One day, my sister didn't get a campus announcement that supposedly had spread all over the group. When she asked why didn't they tell her, their response was "It's your fault for not using a BlackBerry! We can't BBM you!"

Now the virus has spread to my sister as well. My other sister got an iPhone, which basically lacks BlackBerry Messenger. When my BB sister wanted to contact my iPhone sister, she contacted me instead, asking me to lend my BlackBerry to my iPhone sister, so that she can BBM her, despite the fact that both of them are online in Yahoo! Messenger

So, it got me wondering. What's the deal with BBM? it doesn't have a desktop client, it runs only on BlackBerry devices, it requires hard-to-remember PIN codes, and it does not make your messaging activity any more different

In fact, I'm alright if I don't use BlackBerry Messenger at all. Sure, you can say it's "more reliable" and all that, but it's not THAT unique is what I'm saying. Messaging with a BBM is not any different than messaging with Y!M or Windows Live Messenger. After all, it's still just a Messenger at its core
    I was in a deep state of disbelief until I saw that you're in Indonesia. In my area people couldn't care less about BBM since basically no one has a BlackBerry anymore. My friends who previously had BlackBerries now have Evos and iPhones.
    04-02-11 03:38 PM
    I agree a wacked out cult.

PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-02-11 03:57 PM
    I was just explaining to a friend that was telling me she was thinking of getting an iPhone that I'll miss her.

I TRY to use other clients, but I have been on 7 flights in the last 14 days, and with dataplans in other countries being costly. I don't turn on anything but bbm and email, in addition BBM is always on, you can't put people on ignore or pretend to be off line, you must shut down if you want to be cut off,

With BBM I put out a group chat for events for planning everything is in one spot, I can do status updates and friends and family know what city I am in I don't need to contact 10-15 people saying I'm coming to my old university town they see it and if they have time the contact me,
    Also being able to read recent updates is great, new pics, status changes. Can follow a story of a persons day.

BBM is just well integrated into the lifestyle of many bb users, and it is hard to get used to other things

04-03-11 11:12 AM
    i think it depends on the person and the group they are in

when i had bb... all i did was bbm because the majority of the people that i know uses bb as well... so it's easy to forget about the existence of other IM clients because why the trouble open all the other clients when most of them are already on bbm? i get a bit overwhelmed when i am on my bb and i have to bbm/msn/google at the same time.

funny thing is... i no longer own a bb and i don't miss bbm one bit. sure... i may miss out on events spread through bbm... i am also spared from those endless chain messages.
    04-03-11 11:29 AM
    It's hard to explain. All my close friends use it. So easy to spread news, update status, talk smack about hockey. Quick, easy.
    04-03-11 02:23 PM
    PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ???

04-03-11 04:34 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD