To me the process of adding a contact to bbm is convoluted so I am assuming I am doing it wrong.

What I want to be able to do is Compose a BBM from the messages windows and have my contacts list linked with bbm.

-If I get someones PIN I will open up BBM and go to 'Invite Contact'.
    -From there I will manually enter the pin I received and send the invite request.
    -Once the request was accepted I open up the Menu in BBM on the contact's name and press 'Link to Contact' and chose the contact I want to link the BBM user to.
    -If I now try to go to the 'Messages' screen and go to 'Compose PIN' and select one of the contact that I have linked, I get a message 'This entry has no PIN address'
    -Checking in my Contacts, under that contact I can see a BBM link, but there is no PIN stored in their info
    -I have to manually copy their PIN from BBM and paste it into their contact info to be able to send it from the Messages screen properly.

What am I doing wrong here because it seems like I have to Invite, Link, and then re-enter their PIN into the contact info and this does not seem right.
    06-24-10 12:50 PM
    I enter a person's PIN in their contact info. I then go into BBM and invite them using the contact info. I also don't link the contacts because it keeps the BBM messages separate from [I forgot what]. I remember when I had the contacts linked, I got dual entries but I cant remember the specifics of what actually annoyed me.
    06-24-10 04:18 PM
    Why are you pin messeging them when they are in your bbm? Why don't you just bbm them?
    06-24-10 04:28 PM
    Why are you pin messeging them when they are in your bbm? Why don't you just bbm them?
    I thought PIN message and BBM were the same thing?

The reason is because my plan is to use the Messages icon to handle SMS as well as BBM. And then my email in the separate section.

If I do this though, from the Messages screen I am unable to initiate a BBM with someone who I don't already have a conversation with, without going to BBM to start one. Essentially I only want to have to open up bbm to add a new contact and not have to see it for messaging.

Does this workflow make sense?
    06-24-10 04:35 PM
    Instead of picking "PIN" choose "Instant Message" or "BlackBerry Messenger"

I have the beta BBM so I'm not much help, but when I'm in the messages app I can choose "Compose" then select "BlackBerry Message" it brings me right to BBM. I do know though that selecting "Instant Message" in other places brings you right to your BBM contacts.

Also, make sure that in your BBM options you have "show in main message list" checked off, so your BBM messages will show up in your message app.

PIN and BBM is different though. A PIN message is more like an email, and BBM is like an instant messenger. If you want to link your BBM contacts to your main contacts you can go to BBM> highlight the contact> Select "Link with BlackBerry Contact"

Hope this helps some...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 05:03 PM
    I guess that will work for me. I didn't notice the Instant Message button, but it brings me right into BBM.

Thanks.
    06-24-10 05:10 PM
    I figured out how the 'contacts link' caused me grief last year. I created a profile whereby I silenced all alerts except phone and SMS, and activated it when I wanted solitude. I left the phone and SMS active for work reasons and advised all my contacts that if they really needed me to either call or text.

What I noticed was that when a person whom I have as a BBM contact would send me an SMS, I didn't get the alert because the device treated it as an incoming BBM. Also, the conversation icon for an SMS is a 'bubble'; however, in this instance the icon would be a 'phone'. If I open BBM, I would have two conversations for that person - one SMS and one BBM from earlier. If I go into BBM and end the SMS conversation, it would delete the entire thread. Of course, the madness doesn't stop there. When I went into the BBM to remove the 'contact link', it deleted the PIN from the contact's profile, and I had to go into each profile and re-enter each PIN; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to compose PIN messages to that particular contact.
    06-24-10 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD