12-29-10 07:41 PM
58 123
tools
    But a text plan is still expensive!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 11:24 AM
    Texting can be expensive, but having unlimited and not needing it is a darn sight better than needing it and not having it. Just ask anyone who texts more than they talk.
    12-28-10 11:33 AM
    Uh...maybe you should call your cell provider, as you don't seem to have a very accurate understanding of texting and data usage. While the technology for text messaging technically does use bandwidth, it is never treated as such. Even MMS doesn't use enough data to be charged. This is why a regular phone first device that has no kind of data plan can have unlimited texting with AT&T. So texting will work just fine, OP.
    I think YOU miss the point

txting doesn't use a data plan correct, it is it's own plan in it's self, BUT the equivalent data sent from a 140 char text is approximately .25Kb
    so factoring that in, you are paying an exorbitant amount for txt messaging compared to using an IM client.
    12-28-10 12:21 PM
    Even bundled, how much is 450 minutes with unlimited SMS. Still $59.99/month?

That's $20 a month for SMS.

im on the special unlimited plan for 69.99....so its unlimited txt/data and i think 450 anytime minutes but unlimited m2m all for 69.99
    12-28-10 06:02 PM
    I think YOU miss the point

txting doesn't use a data plan correct, it is it's own plan in it's self, BUT the equivalent data sent from a 140 char text is approximately .25Kb
    so factoring that in, you are paying an exorbitant amount for txt messaging compared to using an IM client.
    Unless you are a heavy texter, which I have been on several occasions, hitting in excess of 15k SMS per month. In that case, the unlimited is well worth the money spent, since providers charge way too much for individual texts.
    12-28-10 06:30 PM
    Unless you are a heavy texter, which I have been on several occasions, hitting in excess of 15k SMS per month. In that case, the unlimited is well worth the money spent, since providers charge way too much for individual texts.
    The conversation is about IMapps or SMS, and in the case of 15K SMS in a month. That is about 4MB of data if an IMclient was being used, so again, even unlimited txting is not a cheap alternative.

I do pay for it, because it makes up less than 5% of my bill but I can see someone worried about costs of their package NOT getting a txting plan since it is the most expensive item based on what it is available to mobile subscribers.

12-28-10 07:27 PM
    SMS is compatible with every single wireless phone world wide, so you don't need an app, just a phone number.

12-28-10 07:43 PM
    I use BBM mostly, but for all others I get by just as good on yahoo messanger...roughly the same concept, just have to a couple more steps in say...sending a pic...works good enough.

12-28-10 07:59 PM
    SMS is compatible with every single wireless phone world wide, so you don't need an app, just a phone number.

does not negate it's cost,

and once you go world wide, the cost escalates exponentially
    12-28-10 08:07 PM
    I must be confused...if one has say unlimited text or data, then why does it matter?

Is this just for people on a cap? If so, I would hate that...have to worry about every bit of info I downloaded or used...well as a heavy user anyway.

12-28-10 08:57 PM
    I couldn't see myself not having unlimited text. I use it way too much to not have it. I barely use minutes, and my main means of communication is SMS and email.

OK, sidetracked enough. I think that the OP now has quite a few options to choose from so they should be set.
    12-28-10 09:02 PM
    I must be confused...if one has say unlimited text or data, then why does it matter?

Is this just for people on a cap? If so, I would hate that...have to worry about every bit of info I downloaded or used...well as a heavy user anyway.

The OP said "Testing is expensive and slow"

and then many other posters said "just txt"
    I went on to discuss how expensive txting actually is, compared to other services provided.

if someone is on a budget, txting should be the first thing removed from a phone package, and really MORE people should remove txting and insisting on using IM clients, to remove this revenue stream from the Carriers.

Also SMS are slow, and limited in size, sending large TXT's can result in them arriving at different times out of order, things that don't happen as often with IM clients.
    12-28-10 09:05 PM
    I thought I couldn't live without unlimited text for a long time too. But the longer I had my BlackBerry the more I found alternatives to using text, which was costing me $20/month. Now I've lowered my bill by that $20 and use Google Voice for SMS (free), Google Talk, AIM, Email, FB Chat (as of today) etc.

I don't see the need to pay for text anymore. To me it's $ wasted!

Google Voice has an app that does SMS free and you can forward your SMS to email too.

12-28-10 09:06 PM
    The OP said "Testing is expensive and slow"

and then many other posters said "just txt"
    I went on to discuss how expensive txting actually is, compared to other services provided.

if someone is on a budget, txting should be the first thing removed from a phone package, and really MORE people should remove txting and insisting on using IM clients, to remove this revenue stream from the Carriers.

Also SMS are slow, and limited in size, sending large TXT's can result in them arriving at different times out of order, things that don't happen as often with IM clients.
    I see what you are saying, to save money now.

In my case as I have 5 phones and not all the same platform, some smartphones, others dumb...then SMS works for me. One SD sends over 3000 texts a month, so need SMS...

Works for some, others I can see would not need it and save the 20 bucks a month.

12-28-10 09:16 PM
    A few references to WhatsApp here. I've been using it for almost a year now, texting with friends in iPhones and more recently, Android. Works pretty well most of the time, with a few server issues here and there. Best part is, it's FREE. After the one year trial, it's a whopping $2.00 to buy the app Try it out. WhatsApp Smartphone Messenger
    12-28-10 11:59 PM
    I'm actually a big fan of Cnectd as a cross platform BBM or sms alternative...I can talk to I phone or Android friends, show GPS coordinates, and it has the nice little "R" for received like BBM....Also, no signing in....Its just on like BBM and free as well...Nice program....
    12-29-10 07:27 AM
    I'm actually a big fan of Cnectd as a cross platform BBM or sms alternative...I can talk to I phone or Android friends, show GPS coordinates, and it has the nice little "R" for received like BBM....Also, no signing in....Its just on like BBM and free as well...Nice program....
    Not true, you need to make an ID wen you install the app, which registers on their website and such, you DO need tio sign in.

12-29-10 07:35 AM
    I would personally recommend PingChat as it is and always will be free. However your Symbian friends might struggle. Oh, and to the person hitting 15k texts a month, good luck with that in the UK. I'm on the network with the higher number of texts included in an "unlimited" texts package, and even with them you'd run 3k over the limit. O2 give you 12K, the rest give you 3K
    12-29-10 09:02 AM
    I would personally recommend PingChat as it is and always will be free. However your Symbian friends might struggle. Oh, and to the person hitting 15k texts a month, good luck with that in the UK. I'm on the network with the higher number of texts included in an "unlimited" texts package, and even with them you'd run 3k over the limit. O2 give you 12K, the rest give you 3K
    Well, the majority of those were sent while I was on Verizon, and I never got any extra charges. I have a few friends who have done more than that in one billing cycle and have incurred no extra charges. The U.S. providers must mean unlimited when they say unlimited. How can you have unlimited when there is a cap?
    12-29-10 09:48 AM
    Google Talk, no questions asked

Ping Chat, Live Profile and some of those others are not cross platform.

If you think they are please tell me how i can Ping Chat with someone via a Computer.
    12-29-10 10:07 AM
    I love my BBM but unfortunately a really close friend just changed jobs and was given an iphone 4 to use. Texting is expensive and slow. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use with my 9700 to chat with him on his iphone? I read about Kik but that sounds like it's not very good any more since RIM pulled support. Thanks for any suggestions.
    A few people have already mentioned Whatsapp I second that motion too... Whatsapp is free and has something similar to the D and R feature of BBM... it has 1 tick for delivered and 2 ticks for read... This is assuming that you're on a unlimited data plan of course because when you install it states that Whatsapp is meant to be used with a unlimited data plan or else data charges will occur from carrier...
    12-29-10 11:56 AM
    I also use Whatsapp as a nice BBM alternative..
    12-29-10 12:52 PM
    Hear's my question: if I choose an IM app do the people I chat with have to have the same app? I was thinking most people choose what works for them and if I choose Google talk and some one chooses Yahoo and another has Whatsapp and so on, how would I be able to chat back and forth with them. Add into the mix someone with a non-smartphone and no data with texting only. I have BBM and only have mobile numbers entered for texting with no PINs entered I am not always sure if someone has a Blackberry data plan or not. My wife has an 8310, but with no data just a unlimited family text. I have 9700 with unlimited data, and sister-in-law, on fam plan also with android phone, and capped data. too many variables to think of, is there an app that is compatible with all platforms and other apps, including those with texting only plans?
    12-29-10 01:26 PM
    Hear's my question: if I choose an IM app do the people I chat with have to have the same app? I was thinking most people choose what works for them and if I choose Google talk and some one chooses Yahoo and another has Whatsapp and so on, how would I be able to chat back and forth with them. Add into the mix someone with a non-smartphone and no data with texting only. I have BBM and only have mobile numbers entered for texting with no PINs entered I am not always sure if someone has a Blackberry data plan or not. My wife has an 8310, but with no data just a unlimited family text. I have 9700 with unlimited data, and sister-in-law, on fam plan also with android phone, and capped data. too many variables to think of, is there an app that is compatible with all platforms and other apps, including those with texting only plans?
    If you should use a program like Nimbuzz, IM+, or similar applications and you have all the various accounts, yes you can chat with them. but if you have an account with "wallawallabingbang" then you can only chat with other people that are using "wallawallabingbang".

Texting only with a person who doesn't have a text package will bring on carrier charges. I think... big think that Google Voice sends text message via data packages.
    12-29-10 01:35 PM
    I would go with Gtalk
    12-29-10 01:42 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD