12-29-10 06:41 PM
58 123
tools
    I love my BBM but unfortunately a really close friend just changed jobs and was given an iphone 4 to use. Texting is expensive and slow. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use with my 9700 to chat with him on his iphone? I read about Kik but that sounds like it's not very good any more since RIM pulled support. Thanks for any suggestions.
    12-27-10 10:06 PM
    I know that any of the Messenger services, like AIM, Yahoo! and MSN are alternatives. I am sure that others will chime in with other services. I personally just stick to SMS. If I cannot use that, then I use AIM.
    12-27-10 10:08 PM
    GTalk is what I use with a friend who has an i4 also. Works very well.
    12-27-10 10:19 PM
    try pingchat. its a cross platform (bb, iphone, android) im client very similar to bbm. it uses data and i use it with my iphone friends. works great
    12-27-10 10:32 PM
    12-27-10 10:47 PM
    I like Yahoo Messenger. Not sure about iPhone to BB, but Android to BB I can send 5mb files and Android to Android I can send 8mb files.

It is true cross platform and includes PC users as well.
    12-27-10 10:58 PM
    Since AT&T no longer has unlimited data, and all those IM apps use data, texting would probably be preferable to your friend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 11:18 PM
    I've been using WhatsApp for the past few weeks. It is also a cross platform chat program. Even my friends with iToys like it.
    12-28-10 12:15 AM
    Hi there. How about IM+ lite? It is free and you can use FB, twitter, skype and many more all in one place. WhatsApp is also cool for chatting with others beside blackberry.

Hope this helps!

12-28-10 03:39 AM
    Google Talk is very similar to BBM.

12-28-10 06:04 AM
    Since AT&T no longer has unlimited data, and all those IM apps use data, texting would probably be preferable to your friend.

Txting is the most expensive "data" plan available.

1 full txt message is about .25k, so 1MB of data is about 4000 txt messages,
    I don't know what AT&T charges for unlimited Txting but I have to pay $10 for unlimited txting on Rogers, and I don't send 4000 txts a month so for SMS I am paying MORE than $10 per MB, I would venture to say txting is costing me about $20 per MB.

even MSN and Yahoo who seem to be the most bloated of the chat clients in terms of data usage.
    12-28-10 07:39 AM
    I hope VZW doesn't get rid of unlimited data.

I got tired of paying $20/month for texting. There are too many data options available to still be wasting money on a text plan.

Besides the ones mentioned above, you can use Google Voice to send and receive free SMS messages. That's what I ended up doing, in addition to Google Talk and AIM.

But that's with unlimited data. If my data was limited I'd probably stick with email instead of SMS or any IM program.

12-28-10 07:43 AM
    I hope VZW doesn't get rid of unlimited data.

I got tired of paying $20/month for texting. There are too many data options available to still be wasting money on a text plan.

Besides the ones mentioned above, you can use Google Voice to send and receive free SMS messages. That's what I ended up doing, in addition to Google Talk and AIM.

But that's with unlimited data. If my data was limited I'd probably stick with email instead of SMS or any IM program.

you can be sure that LTE will bring the death of unlimited data on their network.

Bell Canada which when it was purely CDMA had unlimited data, when they launched HSPA+ those who remained on CDMA were able to keep unlimited data, those of us who moved to HSPA could pay $10MORE!! to get 5GB of data, and they continue to offer less phones that can keep the unlimited data plan slowly phasing it out. Verizon WILL do the same I am sure of it. maybe not in 2011, but 2012 I suspect you'll see pricing structures, to "save money" based on using low data. and these mobile hotspots everyone loves so much wont be so exciting, which is maybe why Canadians don't seem to think they are so great.

on a side note about not using an IM client when you don't have unlimited data, your IM clients will use less data than your emails will, a IM doesn't tend to have signatures signing off, nor do they do "reply with history" to just add to the data usage.
    Last edited by deRusett; 12-28-10 at 08:05 AM.
    12-28-10 08:02 AM
    I'm up to 1gb/month and rising. With the Sirius app and Tether, I'm probably going to get above a gig this month.

Maybe I'll just keep my old Tour til it dies and my unlimited data plan!

12-28-10 08:04 AM
    I'm up to 1gb/month and rising. With the Sirius app and Tether, I'm probably going to get above a gig this month.

Maybe I'll just keep my old Tour til it dies and my unlimited data plan!

I'd upgrade before the new plans take effect, you'll hear the rumors long before they take effect.

I left Bell Canada because they had zero plans to bring in the 9650, so I went to Rogers to get the 9800,
    12-28-10 08:07 AM
    There's nothing to upgrade to! Don't remind me of that! Ha. I'm waiting for a new VZW BlackBerry.

12-28-10 08:12 AM
    There's nothing to upgrade to! Don't remind me of that! Ha. I'm waiting for a new VZW BlackBerry.

the 9650 was something I was willing to upgrade to from my 9630,

but I do agree that CDMA needs something fun again, the Torch was FUN! and did my business needs. but I really don't see a CDMA BB coming out before LTE.
    12-28-10 08:23 AM
    I can't upgrade to a Bold. It's just not enough of an advance.

(VZW) Torch or Storm 3 I'll do.

12-28-10 08:27 AM
    TXT is NOT data though, its part of the voice package on VZW
    12-28-10 09:14 AM
    You can combine it with voice. But it's a separate plan and can be cancelled. I'm saying save 20/month, cancel SMS and use data. But for those that don't have unlimited data, that may not be a good option.

12-28-10 09:19 AM
    correct, if you pay for the unlimited as a seperate addon its expensive for sure
    12-28-10 09:24 AM
    Even bundled, how much is 450 minutes with unlimited SMS. Still $59.99/month?

That's $20 a month for SMS.

12-28-10 09:42 AM
    I love my BBM but unfortunately a really close friend just changed jobs and was given an iphone 4 to use. Texting is expensive and slow. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use with my 9700 to chat with him on his iphone? I read about Kik but that sounds like it's not very good any more since RIM pulled support. Thanks for any suggestions.
    My wife uses What's App on her Bold to chat with her brother and his wife on their iPhones. Seems to work pretty well. I think she downloaded a free 1-year "trial version", but I don't know what the price will be when she ends up having to pay for it.
    12-28-10 10:00 AM
    Google Talk is a universal one and same with AIM
    12-28-10 10:04 AM
    Txting is the most expensive "data" plan available.

1 full txt message is about .25k, so 1MB of data is about 4000 txt messages,
    I don't know what AT&T charges for unlimited Txting but I have to pay $10 for unlimited txting on Rogers, and I don't send 4000 txts a month so for SMS I am paying MORE than $10 per MB, I would venture to say txting is costing me about $20 per MB.

even MSN and Yahoo who seem to be the most bloated of the chat clients in terms of data usage.
    Uh...maybe you should call your cell provider, as you don't seem to have a very accurate understanding of texting and data usage. While the technology for text messaging technically does use bandwidth, it is never treated as such. Even MMS doesn't use enough data to be charged. This is why a regular phone first device that has no kind of data plan can have unlimited texting with AT&T. So texting will work just fine, OP.
    12-28-10 10:22 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD