12-25-11 02:53 AM
34 12
tools
    With the possibility of RIM having to rename our beloved BBM I thought what would it be called... So I came up with a few options and wanted to see if anyone else had any great ideas to help them out. I decided to do two categories just in case RIM wants to be daring and try for another lawsuit

Non Copyright Infringing
    BBW (Blackberry Words) I know what you were thinking but it is hard to find something with BB that isn't copyrighted.
    TRYBTBB (The reason you bought this BlackBerry) *I like this one the Best because Google Search doesn't even know what to do with that acronym.
    TTOBBO (Talk to other Blackberry owners) *Another good acronym.

Copyright Infringing
    iMessage (Apple)
    BBIM (Bed and Breakfast Inns of Missouri)
    BBC ie. Blackberry Conversation (British Broadcasting Corporation)
    BBT ie. Blackberry Talk (BB&T)
    WWBF ie. Words with Blackberry Friends (1130 WBF, an AM Radio Station in Bartow, Florida.) and the people at Zynga probably would be a little upset too.

Not sure about
    Chat (Just Chat no BB in front) Don't know if anyone owns the word.

So what are your thoughts and choices? Share your BBM replacement names.
    12-23-11 05:30 AM
    Just stop using the abbreviation? I dunno. Its gonna be tough if they have to change the name the program has been around as BBM so long.
    12-23-11 05:37 AM
    BBConnect.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-23-11 at 01:44 PM.
    misskalunji likes this.
    12-23-11 06:08 AM
    BlackBerry Messenger

They Still Call it BlackBerry Messenger when you highlight the icon, they would just need to edit the program to BBM Groups, to BBMG BlackBerry Messenger Groups, they wouldn't be able to publicly write BBM on it's own, But "BlackBerry Messenger Music" could Still be BBMM, and leave the public to shorten BlackBerry Messenger to BBM,

Advertising would go to BBMessage me, but consumers again would call it BBM, and they would be perfectly valid in doing so,

RIM should go about and trade mark any BB_ combination they possibly can get for future upgrades
    12-23-11 07:02 AM
    Yup. deRussett posted what I was thinking.
    12-23-11 07:36 AM
    How about they just start calling things anynameyouwanttogiveitthatisn'tallreadytaken.

I bet no one is using that lol.
    12-23-11 07:46 AM
    CrackChat works for me.
    crackchat gets a lot of hits on google lol. Don't know that anything is copyrighted though.
    12-23-11 08:08 AM
    Didn't know that had to change the name? BBM has been used for years, where does it say they may have to change the name?
    12-23-11 08:28 AM
    I would go with BlackBerry Social. The abbreviation BBS has been used as an acronym
    for everything from Blue Baby Syndrome to Beta Beta Sigma to Bureau of Border Security
    to Bulletin Board System and beyond. I doubt highly that BBS would raise an infringement
    issue that could be successfully argued in a court (9th Circuit notwithstanding )

As a long shot RIM could reach out to Kevin and seek permission (with financial
    compensation, of course) to use the name CrackBerry and then simply change the
    program name to CrackBerry Messenger or CBM
    12-23-11 09:25 AM
    I would go with BlackBerry Social. The abbreviation BBS has been used as an acronym
    for everything from Blue Baby Syndrome to Beta Beta Sigma to Bureau of Border Security
    to Bulletin Board System and beyond. I doubt highly that BBS would raise an infringement
    issue that could be successfully argued in a court (9th Circuit notwithstanding )

As a long shot RIM could reach out to Kevin and seek permission (with financial
    compensation, of course) to use the name CrackBerry and then simply change the
    program name to CrackBerry Messenger or CBM

Welcome back, been a long time since I've seen you post.

I am sure someone would find a way to sue about BBS, just like this suit about BBM, they are an Entertainment company, not in any way shape or form a technology, company or purveyor of technology tools

Looking to get their name out and about some more, and maybe make a quick out of court settlement
    12-23-11 09:31 AM
    just because they cant use the abbreviation doesnt mean we have to.

they will still call it blackberry messenger until the other company goes out of business but we as users will keep calling it bbm. they cant sue all of us.

or can they..............................lol
    12-23-11 09:32 AM
    Maybe I am just legally naive, but to my mind given nature of BBM Canada's business
    as stated by deRusett above, I really cannot for the life of me see how they would be
    able to demonstrate infringement and resultant damage(s) to their entity. I have a
    hard time understanding how/why a court would let such an obviously frivolous claim
    to proceed.
    12-23-11 09:45 AM
    Maybe I am just legally naive, but to my mind given nature of BBM Canada's business
    as stated by deRusett above, I really cannot for the life of me see how they would be
    able to demonstrate infringement and resultant damage(s) to their entity. I have a
    hard time understanding how/why a court would let such an obviously frivolous claim
    to proceed.
    Everyone is entitled to a hearing, no judge has actually presided over the case yet, and BBM Canada is very much going after the media attention with this.

What is surprising is the company did Not even try and protect it's identity by purchaing BBM.com they own BBM.ca and purchased it in 2000, but never bothered to purchase BBM.com, nor first fight for the domain before RIM successfully globally branded BBM.

it is clearly a money grab, and attention grab to try and generate business
    12-23-11 09:58 AM
    What about BBeM or BBMx
    12-23-11 10:03 AM
    I'm sure RIM will just end up writing them a check
    at the end.
    Although BBM was created by the users RIM has
    also promoted it as BBM everywhere and is
    probably gonna be used in all the upcoming ads.
    This will not affect my country at all since they call
    it BB there for some reason lol.
    12-23-11 10:29 AM
    How about BB-M
    can they use that?
    12-23-11 10:30 AM
    Folks I think this legal action against RIM is more aimed at the BBM Music app and service and not Blackberry Messenger.

Thus all RIM has to do is rename "BBM Music" to Blackberry Messenger Music.

But whwritingting this I see that RIM has is using BBM with a "tm" beside on this webpage:
    BlackBerry - Messenger - BBM an Instant Messaging App

Since they were refused RIM has some ba11s adding the "tm" to this.
    Or should I say stupidity?

They deserve all they get on this matter.

Again, RIM not doing their home work. They just do not seem able to research and execute in a smart legal way.

After seeing this on the above indicated webpage I would say RIM has a little chance in winning this.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 12-23-11 at 10:46 AM.
    12-23-11 10:39 AM
    Actually RIM did try to register BBM back in the day. They were told it was not possible. They went ahead and used it anyways. Serves em right, if you ask me.
    12-23-11 10:47 AM
    BBM could be renamed BBMA................Blackberry Messenger App. Simple.
    12-23-11 11:45 AM
    BBI = blackberry interaction? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-11 11:48 AM
    I like BBMessenger
    12-23-11 12:03 PM
    It always boils down to money. Surprised this hasn't happened sooner, but it is what it is, especially since all these patent infringements are going on. Just seems like it is the fashionable thing to do, unfortunately.

Sent from I am on Fire!
    12-23-11 12:06 PM
    People are going to keep calling it BBM no matter what happens. Odds are that RIM will just replace all references of "BBM" with "BlackBerry Messenger".
    12-23-11 01:01 PM
    People are going to keep calling it BBM no matter what happens. Odds are that RIM will just replace all references of "BBM" with "BlackBerry Messenger".
    I agree with you, Just wanted to start a conversation to see where it would go.
    12-24-11 02:14 PM
    BBTalk doesn't sound bad.
    PING would have been awesome lol
    12-24-11 06:29 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD