08-05-10 05:49 AM
47 12
tools
    After reading the comments in this article: http://crackberry.com/bbm-commercial...-messenger-ads it became apparent that many people either LOVE BBM or do not see a use for it when there are other IM options available.

The point of this thread is to explain how you use BBM in daily life and what makes it special to you. This way, people may get new ideas for uses that they never thought before.

Please don't spam this with why you don't use BBM, this is for people who use it and want to share what they use BBM for. The BBM commercials seem a little far fetched but I'm sure a lot of people use it for some crazy things.

My roommate and I use it for the FAST messaging capabilities. There isn't a slowdown when using BBM nor is there a huge battery kill. We are both in college and find it helpful when looking to meet in the Student Union where you can't hear someone from a phone call and text messages are too delayed when trying to locate someone walking.

When looking for places to eat, I just need to send a BBM to a group that my friends. I could create a 'group' contact but BBM groups allow everyone to 'see' the chat.

So...how do you use BBM?
    07-30-10 02:24 PM
    I use it mainly to communicate with co workers and the local LEO's

*edit* oh, and communicating with Yester, AG and others lol
    Last edited by Nozzles Brewin; 07-30-10 at 04:51 PM.
    07-30-10 04:38 PM
    *Communication with family/friends.
    *Communication with people at work.
    *Communication with individuals whilst overseas.
    *Sharing photos/files easily with other BB users on the go.
    *Catching people who have read my messages but pretend they haven't. Jerks.
    07-30-10 04:49 PM
    Talking to people. What else is it for?
    07-30-10 05:00 PM
    Talking to people. What else is it for?
    For being the basis of some awesome commercials, of course
    07-30-10 05:03 PM
    I use it mainly for chats with some buddies. I also found it very useful when taking a trip to Havasu with a bunch of friends. We set up a group chat and shared photos and stories with each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 05:05 PM
    As an alternative to texting people. It's free...
    07-30-10 05:08 PM
    I connected with some people, mostly in the health care field, that I keep in touch with.
    07-30-10 05:12 PM
    Communicate with my bffs that live in other states; all my old college buddies live in different time zones; far easier to bbm them then email. I also talk to other members on cb.
    07-30-10 05:13 PM
    The only thing I use it for is communicating with a deaf woman I work with.

07-30-10 05:17 PM
    Besides talking with friends singly and in groups, I use it to communicate with work vendors ordering chemicals and other supplies. Very useful to get their attention in seconds and a saveable response.

07-30-10 05:50 PM
  12. T
    I don't know anyone else who has a BB, but I would definitely use bbm if I did. I use other IM programs to chat BB to computer. But if my contacts had BB's, our conversations would stay encrypted device to device. I would like that.
    07-30-10 05:54 PM
    I love BBM and use it to chat instantly to several family members and friends!
    07-30-10 07:06 PM
    I use it with my girlfriend & business associate's. Good stuff.
    07-30-10 07:08 PM
    I use it for a number of reasons -
    1. I get to communicate with people all over the world for free and instantly - awesome instant messenger on the go
    2. i forward a lot of jokes on bbm to my friends and family as it saves on sms usage and can be delivered in one hit rather than 2 or 3 or wait 4 for a text? really? i don't think so....bbm it is!
    3. I have contacts on there that i would probably never have made or even had the chance to meet in real life - i'm a singer so i use this to promote myself through various producers
    4. send photo's quickly and efficiently
    5. to beat the boredom
    07-30-10 07:12 PM
    Talking to friends, family members living abroad (real awesome that I can instantly reach them) and BBM pen pals as well
    07-30-10 07:18 PM
    I've used it for sending my location to my boyfriend when he's supposed to meet me somewhere. Other then that... chatting!
    07-30-10 07:21 PM
    I use it daily. Its special cuz ur friends that are rockin a bb are never offline so they're available 24/7. And don't forget its the quickest possible way to reach a friend without having call them oh yeah its also a minutes saver ;D

07-31-10 01:15 AM
    Wow, I feel so left out lol. I haven't taken the plunge yet into using my bbm. I know only one other person besides two of my kids and my husband who have a bb. I love the thread though because I was also trying to understand why people love it so much. Is it really that much faster then sending a text?
    07-31-10 07:02 AM
    Use it for chill time at work, lol! Passes time and is easy to load up vids or take pictures...much faster to boot. I like the layout.

I know there are other options, which is fine, but BBM works the best IMO.

I will say, in my case BBM drains my battery though...but usually talking to quite a few people and or groups...

07-31-10 07:05 AM
    General chat... arranging meetups with friends. Its not secure enough to use for business
    07-31-10 07:06 AM
    I use BBM mostly to communicate with friends, but also to communicate with my co-workers and to transfer files

07-31-10 09:16 AM
    friends and family. very little for work. have BES for that LOL
    07-31-10 09:32 AM
    Mostly work. My company has some 200 BlackBerrys and we are asked to use BBM rather than text, reportedly saving $20k/year in texting costs. And BBM can instantly send images, files, and voice notes to a group, functions that texting does not offer.

We host or are involved in several large meetings a year (usually spread out over a large convention center and/or several hotels) and it's great for staff to instantly communicate as a group regarding logistical issues, maybe to send pix of a banner gone wrong or a wrong directional sign, or to issue an instantaneous all-hands-on-deck call. Not to mention the occasional group message "Good job. CU hotelX bar 7pm" :-)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-31-10 09:45 AM
    I don't know anyone else who has a Berry but where I work some of my colleagues are getting one for work purposes so will be able to BBM them for free!

I mainly use my Berry to check my emails whilst at work (personal email accounts are blocked on work computers), texting and of course calling my family/friends
    07-31-10 02:24 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD