Hi,

I have always wondered what BBM is exactly. Can it just be used to message other BB users, or can I use it to message people using other platforms? Also, what else does it do other then message people? What are all of its features.

Thank you
    12-12-11 10:58 AM
    Hi,

I have always wondered what BBM is exactly. Can it just be used to message other BB users, or can I use it to message people using other platforms? Also, what else does it do other then message people? What are all of its features.

Thank you
    BlackBerry - Messenger - BBM an Instant Messaging App
    12-12-11 11:02 AM
    How many of those features work if the recipient is using Android? I noticed I can add an Android user as a SMS contact. Does this make it so I can use the BBM chat feature with an Android recipient.
    12-12-11 11:08 AM
    naah if you have an android or iphone user you might as well text them regular.
    The main feature I love about BBM is the delivery notice.
    each message you sent gets either a "D" an "R" or "checkmark sign"
    D= Delivered R= Read checkmark sign= sent but not yet delivered (persons phones probably off)
    with BBM there's no excuses, like oh i never received it or I never read your message.
    if it has an "R" they read it.
    Also you can play games with BBM contacts. send each other
    voice,video,pics instantly. its faster then text messaging.
    12-12-11 11:18 AM
    naah if you have an android or iphone user you might as well text them regular.
    The main feature I love about BBM is the delivery notice.
    each message you sent gets either a "D" an "R" or "checkmark sign"
    D= Delivered R= Read checkmark sign= sent but not yet delivered (persons phones probably off)
    with BBM there's no excuses, like oh i never received it or I never read your message.
    if it has an "R" they read it.
    Also you can play games with BBM contacts. send each other
    voice,video,pics instantly. its faster then text messaging.
    Yeah, I am able to add contacts as SMS contacts in BBM, and then I get that style of chat box.
    12-12-11 11:19 AM
    no Im saying you might as well text them, cause its the same thing
    you can't really use the BBM features, just texting. apart from a better
    looking text box.
    12-12-11 11:24 AM
    BBM is the ability to chat with other Blackberry using a pin# thats specific to every individual Blackberry smartphone......and its FREE. SMS is for all platforms and depending on your plan it can cost to text after a certain limit
    Last edited by spencerdl; 12-12-11 at 11:32 AM.
    12-12-11 11:26 AM
    Yeah, I am able to add contacts as SMS contacts in BBM, and then I get that style of chat box.
    All you are doing is getting to SMS them within that chat application

it is still just SMS, the data use of BBM is only when both users have BBM, but it can be used as a shell for SMS.
    12-12-11 11:27 AM
    All you are doing is getting to SMS them within that chat application

it is still just SMS, the data use of BBM is only when both users have BBM, but it can be used as a shell for SMS.
    I understand that it is not "truly" using BBM. The SMS chat is still nice though.
    12-12-11 11:29 AM
    BBM is a secure and private way to communicate with the people that matter. The way I use it is to only give my BBM to people that I will interrupt most meetings to reply to. The rest can go to the text app or e-mail.
    Since you approve of the people that ask to be on your BBM group you never get spam or junk texts. I think this is why it is popular with celebrities.
    During a recent natural disaster in N.Y. the phone lines and text were clogged and the only way to reach people was BBM. No one focuses on this but I thought it was interesting.
    I love BBM now that I understand what it does.
    12-12-11 11:30 AM
    BBM is a secure and private way to communicate with the people that matter. The way I use it is to only give my BBM to people that I will interrupt most meetings to reply to. The rest can go to the text app or e-mail.
    Since you approve of the people that ask to be on your BBM group you never get spam or junk texts. I think this is why it is popular with celebrities.
    During a recent natural disaster in N.Y. the phone lines and text were clogged and the only way to reach people was BBM. No one focuses on this but I thought it was interesting.
    I love BBM now that I understand what it does.
    12-12-11 11:31 AM
    It also works worldwide at no extra cost.
    12-12-11 01:21 PM
    no Im saying you might as well text them, cause its the same thing
    you can't really use the BBM features, just texting. apart from a better
    looking text box.
    But - You CAN set BBM to save history for all "conversations" - including SMS contacts.
    12-12-11 01:29 PM
    BBM also has a ton of extra features that regular texting doesn't, such as, for example, knowing your message's "read status" so you always know when your friend has received and read your message. And of course, the best part is that BBM messages are free, which is huge for developing countries.

There are constant rumors that RIM will open up BBM to other OS and phone makers and allow you to exchange BBM messages with iPhone and Android users, but that hasn't happened yet.
    05-31-12 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD