06-23-11 11:30 AM
47 12
tools
    BMX (BlackManX) on twitter said you will be able to keep your unlimited plan as is... but will not get a discount on a new phone. You must pick a new tiered contract to get the discount... so.. plan on paying full price for a new phone if you want to keep your current unlimited plan.

i just checked my bill for last month... lol.. i used 0.09055GB so i think i would be safe to change plans to the 2GB lol
    the most i have used in the last 6 months is 0.13902GB!!
    Last edited by StaticFX; 06-22-11 at 10:01 AM.
    06-22-11 09:57 AM
    MOST blackberry users will be fine with moving to a teired package, it is the users who use their devices as Hotspots who will need to be worried about bandwidth use.

the Prices Verizon is charging isn't really that bad, us Canadians have to pay more for less
    06-22-11 10:03 AM
    It was inevitable that this was coming. It's terrible that these companies put strangle hold on its customers with situations like this.
    06-22-11 10:53 AM
    You should be.
    My wife is looking to get a different smartphone. The Verizon CS rep told me that as long as we are keeping the smartphone data plan, just changing what phone we have we will keep the unlimited data. So if you are currently have a smartphone data plan and are renewing your contract you will still have your unlimited data.
    I hope this is true as I plan on upgrading my phone later in the year and have the smartphone data plan.
    06-22-11 12:55 PM
    I wish i knew what all this means lol. How do you know how much you are using? I have Unlimited Data with Verizon at at the Moment.
    06-22-11 01:51 PM
    I wish i knew what all this means lol. How do you know how much you are using? I have Unlimited Data with Verizon at at the Moment.
    You can log into your My Verizon account online or you can dial #DATA for a free text message telling you how much data you have used thus far on your current billing cycle.
    06-22-11 02:14 PM
    i think a lot of people are missing the point. yes most people dont go over 2gb worth of data even with heavy use on a BB, but i feel like they are giving us phones which are much more capable then a few years ago yet limit us with the data usage. if u have netflix and slingbox, then kiss the thought of a $30 dataplan good buy. android users are going to have watch how much they use that new google cloud service for their music because it will eat their data. i imagine netflix would kill your data usage, would it not. thats the problem i have.
    06-22-11 04:22 PM
    yes it would eat away at data fast. but i guess that is also the point. If you are going to be using for netflix and tethering then you will have to pay for it with the tiered pricing. Honestly they are doing what any common sense business would.
    06-22-11 04:37 PM
    yes it would eat away at data fast. but i guess that is also the point. If you are going to be using for netflix and tethering then you will have to pay for it with the tiered pricing. Honestly they are doing what any common sense business would.
    yeah i see what u sayin. im definitely not disagreeing in that sense because people who are hitting 8+ gb worth of data a month are definitely abusing the service but there are still milking customers if u ask me. they offer no plans under 2gb first of all, then for what they were offering for unlimited data, they're now only giving u 2gb worth...that doesnt make sense either.

im definitely not tryin to abuse the system. i dont know exactly how much data i use a month but i know im nowhere near 2bg worth. all im saying is that with the way the pricing is looking, people are going to have to pay some crazy monthly bills just to even slightly enjoy their phones. no one is always going to be in a strong wifi location. a little more cushion for use is all im asking i guess
    06-22-11 04:59 PM
    im going to assume all os7 and for sure QNX devices will use more data for most people on here. you will use the phone a ton more trust me. Or you will use the PB more etc.
    Rello likes this.
    06-22-11 05:04 PM
    I read somewhere that text messages were in decline and is a major source of revenue. This is an attempt to make up for lack of texting. It wont be long before your home internet will be data limited also. The days of free unlimited data are going fast. That free Hulu show might not be free!
    06-22-11 05:16 PM
    I currently have an the Droid X and have used over 5 gigabytes twice, maybe three times since I started keeping track like 7 months ago. So far this month I've used 1.2 gigs and my billing cycle ends on July 13th. But I do use Google Nav almost everyday which I'm sure contributes a lot to my data usage? And this was before Netflix, HBOGO and Google Music beta was available on my phone. Hardly use Pandora, download 2 podcasts a day which amount to a total of an hour and 15 minutes maybe, even then is only about 15 to 16 megabytes. For the lower months, it could be that I just left my Wi-Fi on all the time? (Had to when using the phone as a remote for the set top box)

While I understand Blackberry users don't have to worry about data as much as Android users $30 for 2GBs is a rip though. And I assume that QNX will go through the same data compression as the current Blackberry OSes go through?
    Rello likes this.
    06-22-11 05:29 PM
    IS 2GB of data usage a lot for a BB? I am up for renewal and I just called the VZW rep. Here is what they said

- If you have a plan already (Before July 7th), you will get the unlimited data plan for 29.99. Even if you are renewing.....The new tierd plans are for new members or anyone who wants a new plan.

- They confirmed the July 7th date as real. They also confirmed they are receiving "training" on the new data plans AND the new BOLD TOUCH. They told me they have a release date all set but of course they could not tell me what it is. The rep told me more than she should have I guess.

- It seems to me these new data plans coincide with the new blackberries about to drop.

So, would a $30/2gb plan work for someone who cruises the internet 5 times a day and uses email a lot? I have no idea if I would need the $50 plan or $30 plan.
    06-22-11 05:36 PM
    I currently have an the Droid X and have used over 5 gigabytes twice, maybe three times since I started keeping track like 7 months ago. So far this month I've used 1.2 gigs and my billing cycle ends on July 13th. But I do use Google Nav almost everyday which I'm sure contributes a lot to my data usage? And this was before Netflix, HBOGO and Google Music beta was available on my phone. Hardly use Pandora, download 2 podcasts a day which amount to a total of an hour and 15 minutes maybe, even then is only about 15 to 16 megabytes. For the lower months, it could be that I just left my Wi-Fi on all the time? (Had to when using the phone as a remote for the set top box)

While I understand Blackberry users don't have to worry about data as much as Android users $30 for 2GBs is a rip though. And I assume that QNX will go through the same data compression as the current Blackberry OSes go through?
    yes 2gb is a rip off and when we have all these capabilities that eat data so quick with little use, it ends up being of little value to consumers. android users wont be able to stream their own music from the cloud cause that would kill your data even if u spent 5 hours a day doing it. your gonna stream 1 movie on netflix and if you arent in a wifi location, your done for the month lol.

for the lower month u were definitely on wifi. now some people will argue to just wait until your in a wifi location and although many public places have wifi, its not quick by any means thus effectively making something like a netflix app pointless. BB users will also have to start watching our usage now that we'll have a better browser to work with.

@travaz
    im glad messaging platforms like bbm are lowering their text messaging profits...what they charge for that is the biggest rip off ever...
    06-22-11 06:02 PM
    IS 2GB of data usage a lot for a BB? I am up for renewal and I just called the VZW rep. Here is what they said

- If you have a plan already (Before July 7th), you will get the unlimited data plan for 29.99. Even if you are renewing.....The new tierd plans are for new members or anyone who wants a new plan.

- They confirmed the July 7th date as real. They also confirmed they are receiving "training" on the new data plans AND the new BOLD TOUCH. They told me they have a release date all set but of course they could not tell me what it is. The rep told me more than she should have I guess.

- It seems to me these new data plans coincide with the new blackberries about to drop.

So, would a $30/2gb plan work for someone who cruises the internet 5 times a day and uses email a lot? I have no idea if I would need the $50 plan or $30 plan.
    if what u described is correct,then yes u will only need the $30 plan. the point here though is that that $30 used to get u unlimited data and now only gets you 2gb. i completely understand that carrier have to get rid of the unlimited package as people would abuse it, but in my eyes they gave people much less bang for their buck with these new plans. that $30 should easily get u 3 or 4 gb worth of data imo...
    06-22-11 06:36 PM
    im going to assume all os7 and for sure QNX devices will use more data for most people on here. you will use the phone a ton more trust me. Or you will use the PB more etc.
    bingo...

man im positive my data usage has went up just from this bridge browser. matter fact, my last 3 or 4 posts have been from using the bridge browser while im at work

i can only imagine what it will be like once i get a OS7 device...
    06-22-11 06:42 PM
    if what u described is correct,then yes u will only need the $30 plan. the point here though is that that $30 used to get u unlimited data and now only gets you 2gb. i completely understand that carrier have to get rid of the unlimited package as people would abuse it, but in my eyes they gave people much less bang for their buck with these new plans. that $30 should easily get u 3 or 4 gb worth of data imo...
    agreed....they should have a $100 unlimited everything plan and rake in the subscribers!!
    06-22-11 08:14 PM
    I spoke to a cs rep on the phone this morning and she said the plans are not interchangeable. You can keep your BlackBerry plan with unlimited data but if at any time you switch from a BlackBerry data plan to a smartphone data plan (despite both being $30 they are technically different plans) or vice versa you have changer your data plan and you will be tiered. I will check this again when plans are oficially announced as you can never trust one rep. However, if this cs rep is correct then if you want to keep unlimited data you will have to decide prior to 7/7 if you want to stick with a BlackBerry or go with another device. You cannot change or bounce back and forth and keep unlimited data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 10:14 PM
    I spoke to a cs rep on the phone this morning and she said the plans are not interchangeable. You can keep your BlackBerry plan with unlimited data but if at any time you switch from a BlackBerry data plan to a smartphone data plan (despite both being $30 they are technically different plans) or vice versa you have changer your data plan and you will be tiered. I will check this again when plans are oficially announced as you can never trust one rep. However, if this cs rep is correct then if you want to keep unlimited data you will have to decide prior to 7/7 if you want to stick with a BlackBerry or go with another device. You cannot change or bounce back and forth and keep unlimited data.

this makes sense since a BB plan is different and has BIS connected. you should be able to go from android to android or iphone to android but with BB in the mix the contract would change
    06-22-11 10:33 PM
    almost makes me want to get a verizon BB now so that i'll have unlimited 4G access RIM releases a 4G BB in 2014

no but seriously....i think i might actually do that....
    06-22-11 11:24 PM
    I read somewhere that text messages were in decline and is a major source of revenue.
    Yeah. Mine went down from about 4000 a month to 900 last month. Friend of mine has a prepaid BB and didn't pay the data so we had to quit texting. I'm sure Verizon lost a lot of money off me.
    06-23-11 08:44 AM

yes, this is true.....switching devices like that would constitute a new data plan and the grandfather clause would no longer exist. no matter what, you will have to be in a tiered plan sooner or later. Nobody is going to stick with their phone for 4 years anymore. I just woner if you can get by with the 2gb plan with the new Bolds about to drop or will it not be worth having if you are in danger of going over every month
    06-23-11 11:30 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD