06-23-11 11:30 AM
47 12
tools
    Verizon tiered data plans coming July 7, starting at $30? -- Engadget

We were hoping it wouldn't happen, but it appears that Verizon CFO Fran Shammo's summer foreboding of his company's dreaded tiered data plans could be right on the money. Droid-Life is reporting the magic date will be July 7 and has provided supposed pricing details: data plans without tethering would start at $30 for 2GB, while 5GB and 10GB will cost $50 and $80 respectively. Tethering will cost an extra $20 and adds another 2GB to the pool. There's said to be no notable separation between 3G and 4G -- you'd be billed exactly the same whether you're packing a Droid X2 or a Droid Charge. These new plans wouldn't affect anyone currently under contract, though it's still unknown if customers can hang onto them when it's time to renew. While this remains filed in the "grain of salt" cabinet for now, it may be a good time to at least start checking out your next phone.
    Get you hooked on bandwidth hogging devices and unlimited data and then turn into Crack dealers.
    06-20-11 01:11 PM
    Frankly, if this is accurate info, I am surprised there isn't an option for less than 2gb.

Be that as it may, if we are forced to go tiered (which I doubt), I think I will be fine as my usage usually tops out at about 1.5GB
    06-20-11 01:23 PM
    i wont have to worry for another 1.5 years atleast ...unlimited LTE goodness wahoo!
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-20-11 at 01:51 PM.
    Rainforrest likes this.
    06-20-11 01:33 PM
    What a load of crap - this was the only incentive I had to switch my wife over to Verizon. Forget it now. Bunch a garbage.
    06-20-11 01:42 PM
    Looks like sprint will make out on this since they have the only true unlimited plans.
    06-20-11 02:00 PM
    Looks like sprint will make out on this since they have the only true unlimited plans.
    Only a matter of time before they become the next one. Once they realize that they can't get anymore customers using that line they'll close it and start billing more. That will make them the last of the bigger players, and then they can just try to become the cheapest tiered player.
    06-20-11 02:19 PM
    So these prices for for 3G or 4G?
    06-20-11 02:50 PM
    " There's said to be no notable separation between 3G and 4G -- you'd be billed exactly the same whether you're packing a Droid X2 or a Droid Charge. These new plans wouldn't affect anyone currently under contract"
    06-20-11 02:56 PM
    So these prices for for 3G or 4G?
    YES

10 Char
    06-20-11 03:16 PM
    I read that on the crackberry blog xD

Now if robelus had those, I wouldn't be complaining of the $$$$ I shell out. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 03:30 AM
    lol I'm still on the 250mb ($15/month) plan and I dont even use half of that
    06-21-11 06:48 AM
    Our usage isn't enough for me to worry about this at all.
    06-21-11 08:22 AM
    These new plans wouldn't affect anyone currently under contract, though it's still unknown if customers can hang onto them when it's time to renew.
    We can only hope that current customers are grandfathered in. I'm under contract until October 2012 I think so I don't have anything to worry about for a while, but after that...
    06-21-11 08:27 AM
    We can only hope that current customers are grandfathered in. I'm under contract until October 2012 I think so I don't have anything to worry about for a while, but after that...
    Eventually they'll get ya!
    06-21-11 08:30 AM
    You should be.
    My wife is looking to get a different smartphone. The Verizon CS rep told me that as long as we are keeping the smartphone data plan, just changing what phone we have we will keep the unlimited data. So if you are currently have a smartphone data plan and are renewing your contract you will still have your unlimited data.
    mbrouill likes this.
    06-21-11 11:26 AM
    If you are a Blackberry user I'd be worried, because the Blackberry data plan is billed different than Verizon's smartphone data plans, so if you did decide to jump ship you may get tiered pricing. Just something to think about.
    06-21-11 11:34 AM
    I know this is completely off topic but this is the second time the date July 7th has come up on the forums.
    First it was a developer who was connected to make sure their apps are ready for the OS7 on July 7th and now this .

Look for the post - July 7th

Is RIMM hopefully planning something for 7th , i wonder
    06-21-11 12:56 PM
    If they don't grandfather upon signing a new contract I will be buying phones off contract from now on. Not going to lose my unlimited data for $10
    06-21-11 01:21 PM
    If they don't grandfather upon signing a new contract I will be buying phones off contract from now on. Not going to lose my unlimited data for $10
    I'm not following you here. IF they don't grandfather you in (which I'm sure they will) you will loose the unlimited whether you sign a contract or not.
    06-21-11 01:28 PM
    I'm not following you here. IF they don't grandfather you in (which I'm sure they will) you will loose the unlimited whether you sign a contract or not.
    Generally a plan isn't altered unless you sign a new contract. Verizon can make it difficult to keep an old plan if upgrading by signing a new contract though. My parents had the old America's Choice II plan and could only upgrade to very very dumb phones because their old plan was "not compatible" with current phones. We will have to wait and see how Verizon handles this tiered data change.
    06-21-11 01:47 PM
    Generally a plan isn't altered unless you sign a new contract. Verizon can make it difficult to keep an old plan if upgrading by signing a new contract though. My parents had the old America's Choice II plan and could only upgrade to very very dumb phones because their old plan was "not compatible" with current phones. We will have to wait and see how Verizon handles this tiered data change.
    ok, I'm following you now. yeah, I've heard of this happening too.
    06-21-11 01:51 PM
    Droid Life is reporting that they have documets from Verizon saying it only affects new cystomers and new lines of service. Let's hope it is true and it also applies to BlackBerry data plans as well as smartphone data plans (they are the same price but are techinically different plans). We won't know for sure until Verizon makes it official. However, I can see some BlackBerry users (especially storm users dying for an upgrade) jumping ship to an LTE phone to lock in unlimited data if upgrades are excluded. If that happens these delays will hurt RIM further on Verizon. Let's hope there is some truth to the Droid Life article.

Current Verizon Customers Won’t Ever Be Affected by Tiered Data, Only New Customers and Lines? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

06-21-11 06:23 PM
    Sucks, but how it will be for everyone....eventually.

06-21-11 07:03 PM
    I'm a Storm 2 owner and am not interested in LTE in its current form. I'm not interested in a giant phone that barely gives me a few hours of battery usage. I only used 588mb of data last month and that's with heavy use. My brother is on the same family share plan and used 620mb on his Fascinate. Keep in mind I NEVER use wifi and he uses it all the time.

Upcoming Blackberry 9850 or 9930 is GO for me. No question. It's not blind loyalty either. I generally like everything about the BBs better. I'll obviously be missing out on crazy download speeds. But in the end, I just want something smaller, more efficient on battery, fast, and clear cut. The fact that they compress data the best is a big plus for me. I'm sure with the new browser I'll be browsing more, but I doubt I'll ever pass 2GB.

In contrast, my brother will be upgrading his Fascinate to the Thunderbolt to grandfather himself in. I'm sure I won't regret my decision. I'll get to compare them when we both have them.
    06-21-11 08:48 PM
    Wow cell companies are getting worse than cable. Those are some HIGH prices! $30 for 2gb?????????? At least they could make the pricing better. Please USCellular keep your prices under this and AT&T like you do now.
    06-21-11 09:17 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD