04-29-11 12:46 PM
27 12
tools
    Today I stopped at a Verizon store to try out an ipad2 and iphone4, while I was there I ask the rep if he's heard any updates on the new BlackBerrys coming out and he said "We're not really pushing BlackBerrys anymore, they're outdated" and tried pushing the iphones and Androids they had. I hope for RIM's sake this is just this rep's opinion, and not a company mantra

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 12:56 PM
    This is the usual rep trash. The Monaco will be released soon on Verizon as we recently saw some leaked shots with their branding on.

Hopefully, we see this at BB world.

tkwolf likes this.
    04-27-11 01:02 PM
    The reps never are told when there are new devices coming. It is that way with all carriers, not just VZW.

VZW wants to make money, so they will sell new devices from whatever manufacturer/platform, once those devices are available.

VZW has no new BlackBerry devices currently. Their last new device was the 9650, so naturally, the reps will push the iPhone or new Android devices now. The reps always want to sell the "latest and greatest". Once there is a "latest and greatest" BlackBerry device, VZW will sell it.
    Those people get paid 8.00 dollars an hour. Just because they are forced to wear a conway dress shirt and tie doesnt mean they know what they talking about.

Last month i heard one say BBM will become absolete in 90 days.

its been that way for 6 months or so....rim hasnt had a new BB in about 7 months. VZW doesnt have a torch, the only have a storm 2, curve and a bold it think. storm has been EOL for almost 10 month i think.
    04-27-11 01:04 PM
    Those people won't know more than two weeks before release and even then, that's early. The only ones who know anything else are the ones who follow the rumor mills and sites like this. The carriers keep that info away from store reps until they absolutely have to be notified.
    04-27-11 01:20 PM
    I understand reps usually don't have a clue to when a device is released, I was asking more to see what his reaction to BlackBerrys were. (At least a Sprint rep was kinda excited to know they will be getting a touch BB) this guy basically was talking like I was asking for a Curve 8330 in a world of iphone4 and HTC's . And of COURSE they wanna sell you what's out NOW, not 2-3 months from now

04-27-11 01:32 PM
    True, BB has really given Verizon no reason to show it love lately (though that's partly Verizon's own doing as well). But here's what's headed for Verizon before the year is out. If they still think that's outdated...

http://m.crackberry.com/exclusive-cd...-6-1-evolution

04-27-11 01:36 PM
    Well VZW had proudly touted the Droids for so long, now it's the iPhone and the LTE Thunderbolt.... I don't think they've looked at RIM in a very high profile light at the store level for a while. And with the Storm debacle, EOLs passing, underwhelming HW specs in a time of a HW cold war, etc.... It doesn't surprise me at all. The BBs VZW offers have become dinosaurs spec-wise, and I'm sure most of the reps don't expect RIM to come up-to-date in that respect. And if they didn't do any research like we do, they wouldn't know the case is otherwise at all.
    04-27-11 01:37 PM
    The best advice is always here, and not with your friendly neighborhood clueless rep who knows less than you do ....
    04-27-11 02:04 PM
    I'm not surprised by this. But hey, you can on sell what is in the Store. RIM hasn't released a phone in an extended period of time. (The time seems longer, because Google Phones drop every few weeks, and the Apple phone was a Major addition to Big Red.) So from any ground level perspective, there is nothing coming out for BlackBerry.

The Die-hards like us, know more than a little bit. It feels great, but at the end of the day it just makes us Crazy for that phone to come out.

04-27-11 03:41 PM
    The reps are usually clueless about this stuff but it's no secret that they are pushing other devices, mainly Android on customers interested in smartphones. I know at my local store each time I go in there you have a rep telling someone in a playful, yet serious way "oh you don't want a blackberry, let me show you this Droid Incredible".

Even when I was with AT&T, I can remember this one specific incident where this woman seemed to have her heart set on a blackberry and the rep basically just trashed it and starting showing her the iPhone and HTC Aria and Captivate. He was like "if you only want to make calls and text and get your emails fast then a blackberry is fine, but if you want to do all of that plus surf the web, have a lot of useful apps, etc... then you should get one of these". Felt a little bad for her because what he said could have made her feel dumb for even thinking of a blackberry. And that's certainly not the case.

I can just imagine the number of people they try to sway from blackberry on a daily basis.
    04-27-11 04:20 PM
    Today I stopped at a Verizon store to try out an ipad2 and iphone4, while I was there I ask the rep if he's heard any updates on the new BlackBerrys coming out and he said "We're not really pushing BlackBerrys anymore, they're outdated" and tried pushing the iphones and Androids they had. I hope for RIM's sake this is just this rep's opinion, and not a company mantra

That is funny. Never believe any rep. You know more from here than a rep is told by his company.

Carrier employees PUSH what they have in stock.
    04-27-11 05:19 PM
    "We're not really pushing BlackBerrys anymore, they're outdated"
    I got the same quote from a Sprint rep when I was checking out new phones last year, and she didn't have a clue the 9650 was coming out
    04-27-11 10:02 PM
    i went to a VZW store looking for an iPad 2. The salesmen brought out an iPad. I told him no, I needed the iPad 2 because of the cameras. He said "oh this has cameras!" It was a riot watching him try to find the cameras! These guys don't even know the products!
    04-27-11 11:04 PM
    Well it doesn't look good for RIM on Verizon as BB use to be roughly 92% of total number of smartphones on the carrier at the beginning of 2010, by the end of the year BB was down to 20%... that's a 72% drop during 2010. With the iPhone now avail on Verizon it can only get worse.

Check out the stats from phonedog.com

Verizon BlackBerry sales freefalling thanks to Android | PhoneDog
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 04-28-11 at 12:35 AM.
    04-27-11 11:58 PM
    The reps will sell whatever they are getting incentives to push. My dad went to a VZW store to buy an iPhone, and they convinced him to get a DroidX. I know its to clear inventory but I'd be leary of buying anything a store clown tried to push.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-11 06:03 AM
    True. When I wanted a new device in 2009, I talked with friends and family to see what they were usuing and what carrier. Also I'd look at the weekly Best Buy ads to see phones that might interest me. I went to Best Buy after my daughter suggest I get an Samsung Instinct, tried it, didn't like the touchscreen, and the Best Buy rep was actually very helpful when he recommended the Curve 8330(which was $50.00 cheaper!)But my advice...do your homework! Check customer and editor reviews and others who have the device you're interested in.

04-28-11 06:45 AM
    i went to a VZW store looking for an iPad 2. The salesmen brought out an iPad. I told him no, I needed the iPad 2 because of the cameras. He said "oh this has cameras!" It was a riot watching him try to find the cameras! These guys don't even know the products!
    Classic "wtf" moment. O_o

04-28-11 07:32 AM

Call the store and ask for the manager or district manager. While posting here
    might make you feel better it does nothing to correct this.

BTW, it feel even better!

Tim
    04-28-11 09:33 AM
    This is very true...I'm a huge believer in letting a company know how a customer feels (how else will they know what's going on?, that's why some companies even let you know that your confo is being randomly recorded for thier own knowledge) Also, the Verizon rep (by the way, my carrier is Sprint and will be most likely, just wanted to get info on prices, devices...etc at big red) seemed SO damned condencending to me when I started talking about BlackBerrys, like i was some dummy from the past bringing in my 2002 Nextel i1000 to compare it to an iphone4 or HTC Thunderbolt...and by the by $120.00 vs. Sprint's $69.99 is pretty convincing to stay with Sprint lol
    04-28-11 10:18 AM
    I have been with Verizon since the Moto Razor and have delt with a guy at a store near me for several years. I went in last week because I am eligible for the "new every 2" upgrade. I have a Tour that has preformed perfectly but want to upgrade to the Bold Touch. I looked for my friend and he wasnt around so I got a recent High School graduate who told me that all of the BB's were out of date and pretty worthless compared to the HTC Thunderbolt etc. I played stupid and listened to him tell me about the features, most of which he was wrong about. I asked about new BB's and he said that there were not any new ones and didnt think there were any coming but they had some if I really wanted one. When he found out I was due for an upgrade he changed his tune and he said they had some good deals on "old ones" About that time my Friend came back in and took over. I was talking with him and he said the rumor was that the new BB would be in June (or so) and that they were told to try and get rid of the older models of BB especially on upgrades. We chatted about the Playbook and I went on my way. Point of the story is not all of the Reps are clueless or anti RIM
    04-28-11 10:55 AM
    I have been with Verizon since the Moto Razor and have delt with a guy at a store near me for several years. I went in last week because I am eligible for the "new every 2" upgrade. I have a Tour that has preformed perfectly but want to upgrade to the Bold Touch. I looked for my friend and he wasnt around so I got a recent High School graduate who told me that all of the BB's were out of date and pretty worthless compared to the HTC Thunderbolt etc. I played stupid and listened to him tell me about the features, most of which he was wrong about. I asked about new BB's and he said that there were not any new ones and didnt think there were any coming but they had some if I really wanted one. When he found out I was due for an upgrade he changed his tune and he said they had some good deals on "old ones" About that time my Friend came back in and took over. I was talking with him and he said the rumor was that the new BB would be in June (or so) and that they were told to try and get rid of the older models of BB especially on upgrades. We chatted about the Playbook and I went on my way. Point of the story is not all of the Reps are clueless or anti RIM
    I just went into my local Verizon store and they had just gotten the new brochures in, and under the Bold and the Curve it has in parenthesis while supplies last. I can't wait to get my hands on the Bold Touch, but we'll see whats what hopefully coming May 3rd.
    04-28-11 11:14 AM
    IMO never listen to reps. The majority of people who are active on this site and other smartphone enthusiast sites know much more.
    04-28-11 11:38 AM
    I went to my local store 6 months ago to see if I can get my defective Bold replaced, the store rep told me that they have none in stock and suggested a Droid.

Whether you like it not, reps are the ones who sell phones, it's irrelevant whether they're knowledgeable or misinformed, they tell unscrupulous public what to to buy. Thus, I'm not surprised that Verizon numbers are so low for BB sales.

On the other hand, however, I like the fact that Verizon rejected the Storm upgrade and resisting the Playbook, it pushes RIM to work harder and produce better products. It seems to me RIM is "lost in translation".
    04-29-11 02:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD