Okay guys, havent had a post on here in a while but im heading off on a holiday to america on monday and im having some cost related blackberry issues.
    I will obviously miss my girlfriend loads when im out there so we've been trying to think of ways to keep in contact. she may be getting a blackberry, so what i was wondering.. if i ran on the wifi at the house and turned everything off (you'll probably have to tell me which stuff) would i still be able to use BBM for free?
    If not if you have any other ideas, please dont feel shy and post them thanks.
    07-14-10 12:40 PM
    BBM works over the BIS or BES server so it won't work over WiFi.

Perhaps an IM app? I'm not sure if there are any out there that don't require a data connection but someone here can probably tell you. No chance of your provider selling you a temporary foreign data plan?

If you have access to a computer Skype is probably an easier option. You can skype to another computer for free, that's how my family talks between the US and Scotland.
    07-14-10 01:15 PM
    Nimbuzz may work. If you want prepaid BIS T-Mobile offers it.
    07-14-10 01:18 PM
    Just wondering though, how much data do messaging apps really use, anyway? It's just text, right? As long as a person stays away from sending mutimedia...? Anyone who knows?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 01:59 PM
    Yea i would suggest downloading a IM application to your netbook/laptop and having her do the same... that way you can talk via Instant Message for free.

07-14-10 02:02 PM
    Yeah, i think thats what im gunna do, already have msn and that, but its only my dad who is bringing his laptop, so i might just either leave her messages on facebook, or see if shes on chat. But the time difference is always an issue.
    07-14-10 02:16 PM
    Yea it's a MASSIVE time difference... while you're awake she'll be sleeping...

BTW what part of the States you coming to?

07-14-10 02:45 PM
    Florida, is it like 10 hours? ive been twice before but i cant remember haha,
    07-14-10 02:54 PM
    I don't see why your BBM won't work over Wi-Fi. People from the US go overseas all the time and keep their BB plans and use Wi-Fi in foreign countries to BBM for no charge.

If you go to the US, keep your data plan, and just use data/BBM over wifi and you shouldn't be charged.
    07-14-10 03:15 PM
    Just make sure you turn off your moblie network connection. Bbm will work over wifi because your phones pin is already registered with your networks BIS. I did it when I was in the dominican no problems. As long as the wifi symbol turns white it means your connected to bis and all the data will go through there. Enjoy
    07-14-10 04:18 PM
    Bbm does work over wifi, when the wifi symbol changes from grey to bright black and white bis or bes will work trough wifi.
    Anyway, bbm is pretty efficient and if you only use text it will not cost you much, a typical bbm message only takes about 2kb I think. Find out how much your network will charge you for 1 mb-1000 kb or something like that and then do the maths

07-14-10 04:22 PM
    Just make sure you turn off your moblie network connection. Bbm will work over wifi because your phones pin is already registered with your networks BIS. I did it when I was in the dominican no problems. As long as the wifi symbol turns white it means your connected to bis and all the data will go through there. Enjoy
    Affirmative, BBM will work over wifi. Have fun in Florida! It's a great state
    07-14-10 04:23 PM
    I think you have to leave the mobile network on until the wifi is connected. Could be wrong.

07-14-10 04:51 PM
    ^ nope you don't have to leave the mobile network on for it to connect just have the sim card in and that's it.
    07-14-10 06:04 PM
    Just be sure to set data roaming off and you will be safe using BBM over WiFi as long as the WiFi symbol turns white.
    07-14-10 08:34 PM
    speaking from experience since i didn't want to incur very high roaming charges, i just turn off my data services when im around anywhere with wi-fi and still use BBM, have my emails pushed and check my facebook..
    07-14-10 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD