I have been using a Sprint BB Bold 9650 and just switched it to OS6. I've been wanting a BB touch screen phone but Sprint doesn't have any. So with AT&T now having a Mobil 2 Any Mobil program now, I thought I'd give their BB Torch 9800 a try. I work in a hospital where often I have no cell signal but we do have an internal WiFi network. With the 9650, I am able to send emails, texts, BBM messages, access the app world, just about anything. With the Torch, the only thing I can do is access the internet. I am not able to text or BBM, and when I try accessing the app world I get a message saying "The Data is not operational", and when I try to access the AT&T App Center, I get a message saying that the server is not available. I called their support line and was told that I would only be able to text with a cell signal, and the same with BBM. I was also told that this is a known limitation to their network. As for the App world the tech I talked to called RIM and was told that was pretty much the same story. Why would I be able have a Sprint BB work, and an AT&T BB not? I'd like to keep the Torch, but I communicate quite a bit using text and BBM, and this would be a deal breaker. Any input/ideas appreciated.
    02-18-11 11:45 PM
    I looked around a bit, and I found this:
    You can use BBM over Wi-Fi but you still need to have a BB plan.
    Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry devices permit users with qualifying data plans to access BlackBerry services over a mobile network, Wi-Fi network, or both networks simultaneously.
    02-19-11 12:13 AM
    SMS uses the voice plan, so you cannot use SMS on AT&T without a cellular signal.

If you have a BlackBerry data plan (BIS or BES), you can use BBM whilst connected to Wi-Fi.
    02-19-11 12:22 AM
    SMS does not use data. yet it requires an active cell plan in order to send messages.

BBM works on wifi or the cellular data ONLY if the phone has an active BB data plan.

bottom line - you cant send SMS or BBM messages without an active cell phone plan and BB data plan on that device.
    02-19-11 12:56 AM
    Also, Sprint uses a lower frequency than AT&T does, allowing Sprint devices a cell signal within large buildings such as hospitals, factories, etc.
    I work in a very large concrete building with no windows. I have the Torch and get little to no cell service while the company provided Sprint phone gets 5 bars every where within the building.
    02-19-11 03:13 AM
    Also, Sprint uses a lower frequency than AT&T does, allowing Sprint devices a cell signal within large buildings such as hospitals, factories, etc.
    I work in a very large concrete building with no windows. I have the Torch and get little to no cell service while the company provided Sprint phone gets 5 bars every where within the building.
    both at&t and verizon use the same frequencies (850/1900). i find the complete opposite. all of my coworkers have verizon (most likely operating on 1900 around here) and they get little to no reception deep in our building. i, on the other hand operating on 850 around here, get full reception all through the building.

t-mobile around here is the same way (1900) and people using it also lose reception in buildings or in basements.
    02-19-11 05:34 AM
    both at&t and verizon use the same frequencies (850/1900). i find the complete opposite. all of my coworkers have verizon (most likely operating on 1900 around here) and they get little to no reception deep in our building. i, on the other hand operating on 850 around here, get full reception all through the building.

t-mobile around here is the same way (1900) and people using it also lose reception in buildings or in basements.
    Wow, opposite around here. AT&T must have license to only be able to use the higher 1900 on the towers whereas Sprint uses the lower end.
    I put the phones next to each other and Sprint has 5 bars while my AT&T has1 to none.
    02-19-11 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD