Hi, really sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer with a search.

I've moved to spain for a few months and have a prepaid sim with a plan that allows use of BBM. However, using BBM requires having data on, which means that My balance disappears in no time from other services, though I don't know what they are!

I'm not receiving emails, facebook notifications or tweets, but just leaving my BB to do its thing uses several megabytes a day.

I really want to have BBM enabled as it's the normal way I talk to my girlfriend back in the UK, but I can't afford it! Does anyone know how I can disable all data services other than BBM?

thanks in advance for any help you can give
    11-01-10 04:09 PM
    You cannot disable other data and just leave BBM active. It's all or nothing.

What apps do you have installed?

Also, you might try keeping the data turn off most of the time and only turn it on when you are actively have a BBM conversation.
    11-01-10 04:57 PM
    If your phone has Wi-Fi, and you have a nearby hotspot or at home, you can connect that way after you disconnect your mobile network. Depends on the phone but in some cases you can use BBM with Wi-FI without your mobile network connected.
    11-01-10 04:58 PM
    I have fb, bertwitter, google maps, 4 email accounts (I haven't disabled them but I'm not receiving emails, guess there's a SIM related reason for that). I've done my best to disable the other apps, just wondered what was using up all the data! Are there background processes which use data all the time? we're talking several megabytes a day.
    11-01-10 05:37 PM
    Are the apps that use data (Facebook, Ubertwitter, Google Maps) running?

Have you tried deleting those apps and seeing if there's a difference in your usage? There's no reason to have them installed if you are in a limited data situation.

Also, you should log into to your BIS (your native carrier) from a computer and turn all your email off. Go into the Filter for each email address and click "Do Not Forward to Device" under the "When No Filters Apply" section. This should prevent any email interaction.

You might also consider deleting the email addresses completely from the device until you return home. This will eliminate any possible email interaction.

Also, "several megabytes a day" really isn't that much.
    11-01-10 06:00 PM
    Thanks for the help, I'll give those suggestions a go!

"several megabytes a day" really isn't that much.
    It is when you don't think you're using anything at all!
    11-02-10 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD