Hi I am wondering if there is a way to use BBM only on blackberrys without using network carriers. All I want is to use BBM like msn to talk to my friends only like on a server.

Is there a type of service I can buy? Is it called Blackberry Enterprise? Is that what I need to buy?

Thanks
    Last edited by aznrecon; 07-28-11 at 11:53 PM.
    07-28-11 11:49 PM
    Do you mean data only?
    Also, what country are you in?
    07-28-11 11:52 PM
    Canada, because I need it for my employees. To just send emails to each other and also be able to talk to each other on BBM.

I think its BIS (blackberry internet service) like a BIS only data plan
    Last edited by aznrecon; 07-29-11 at 12:05 AM.
    07-28-11 11:54 PM
    BIS data plans are available, at least in UK they are, but they cost just as much as a plan with some calls included. The advantage of a bis data plan only is you'll never get any surprise call charges.
    I use this set up with my drivers, I give them prepay blackberrys, bis data plan costs just 5 per month and you can use BBM voice notes to communicate, almost as good as walkie talkie but in some ways better as if you can't make out a message you can listen to it again and as soon as you listen to it you have the option to reply.
    You can also look into setting up a BBM group for all of them.

I found in the past as soon as I put some credit in a driver's phone it would be gone in days, BIS data plan works best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 03:03 AM
    PS You still need a carrier though

07-29-11 03:04 AM
    what if I buy from zezel.com/. Do I still need a carrier?
    07-29-11 04:34 PM
    It doesn't matter where you buy from. You still need a carrier in order to get service.
    LuisCast likes this.
    07-29-11 04:53 PM
    The service is provided by the carriers like Motorcycle Mama said.

My suggestion for you is to get a Pre-Paid Data plan SIM and charge it for data use only.. you can use a small amount of data for many BBM massages so it will be cheap and it's easy to set it all.
    you will still need to use a carrier but a pre-paid SIM card is a good solution to avoid contract and manage your use for it's right direction.
    07-29-11 07:04 PM
    Here are Rogers prepaid data plans for BlackBerry. You may need to click and find the plans, their site is weird, but it should get you in the right area.
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 07-29-11 at 08:50 PM.
    07-29-11 08:48 PM
  10. T
    You need a carrier, because you need access to the internet, and the only way to get access to the internet is through a carrier. You can use a Tier 1 internet carrier or one of the other lower level carriers. But even if you get yourself a BES server, you'll still need a carrier to access the internet.
    07-29-11 10:23 PM
    If you're in toronto, WINDmobile offers cheap prepaid data and voice, unlimited when combined with the Smart plan is $35/month before taxes.

07-30-11 03:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD